Adam Carlson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

I am doing a class presentation on the organizational structures of boardgaming. I am wondering if anyone out there would have any suggestions on websites, forum posts, graphics, etc. that would cover this?

I am thinking about things like, how boardgames are organized, how this has changed over time, the relation between different types of boardgames and different types of gamers, etc.

Basically, I need to know about how boardgames and boardgamers are organized. Could you help?

Thank you,

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what immediately came to mind for me: Shelf Pr0n Central
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you expand on what you mean by organized? Do you mean spatially in a shelf, thematic categories, mechanical categories, how board game parts are sorted in a box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean categorized?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Josh,

I wasn't even thinking about shelf organization at first. I was thinking more about "Controlled Vocabulary" (like subject headings). More like what a "wargame" is and the types of people that play them.

But your post totally relates. That's getting more into shelf location. Or how we organize them in a physical space and not just in our heads.

Basically, anything related to classification and/or taxonomies would be great.

Thanks again. I'll be using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to start broad first, but yes, "categorized" is a good word for it. Thanks for helping clarify.

What I find the most interesting is that the gaming community has created one big "folksonomy" to organize games. There wasn't any one game developer that created "co-operative" games. But we have created these distinctions and BGG has had a large impact on how we perceive the whole thing.

Generally speaking though, lists of the different categories, mechanics, gamer types, sub-categories, etc. would be good to start.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djmerk wrote:
I was trying to start broad first, but yes, "categorized" is a good word for it. Thanks for helping clarify.

What I find the most interesting is that the gaming community has created one big "folksonomy" to organize games. There wasn't any one game developer that created "co-operative" games. But we have created these distinctions and BGG has had a large impact on how we perceive the whole thing.

Generally speaking though, lists of the different categories, mechanics, gamer types, sub-categories, etc. would be good to start.

Thanks again.

Well, here you go: An Alternative Classification of Board Games (long)

If you look at the drop-down menu at the top of the page, and look under Browse, here you can see how we try to organize games by mechanics, category, and family.

Generally, you need to prove that 100 games meet the criteria before suggesting a new mechanic or category to officially add to the database, and even then it has to pass the test of being distinctly different from existing mechanics and categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link and thoughts Brook!

I didn't know that about the criteria for new mechanics and categories. Is there a "rules" page or wiki for that somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.