Subject: Best "press your luck" type game(s)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hendershott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I am trying to expand my game collection (aren't we all), and thought that I would like to add one or two "press your luck" type games. It would be a bonus if the games were simple enough to introduce them to my children (6 and 7 - creating the next generation of degenerate gamblers for teh win)

I have seen Can't Stop recommended quite a bit, as well as zombie dice. Are there other really good ones (fun and replay ability are key)

Comparisons between like games would be really helpful.

As always, thanks in advance!

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Unnamed Object
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Coloretto has that element. Should you grab a stack and get out while you can or see what the next card is?

It's very easy to play but offers a lot of strategic choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little beats the classic Can't Stop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also play Cosmic Wimpout with standard d6 (4 of 1 color, 1 of another.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold has been on my radar, heard only good things about it.

Also, Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game has some nifty press your luck elements if you want something bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Incan Gold! Played this with my sisters who were 6 and 8 and they loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Incan Gold is probably the call. You might also look at Cloud 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta chime in against Incan Gold. Sure, it's great for non-gamers. The problem is that it's just about pure push your luck. You asked about replayability. Incan Gold has very little of that.

Other than Can't Stop, one of the best push your luck games I've played was Cheeky Monkey.. The reason it's better than Incan Gold is that it has more choices. It's not just pushing your luck as you pull tokens out of the bag. It's also how you create your stack - the order of the tokens you've just pulled. These decisions affect how others steal from you as the game progresses.

Perhaps there are other great push your luck games out there. I cannot say passionately enough that Incan Gold is not one of them. Not it replayability is truly important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for Unnamed Object.

I've played this with my sister's family many, many times. Now, they own it.

Here's the roster and ages of who played:

Sister (40)
Brother in-law (39)
Nephew #1 (13)
Nephew #2 (11)
Nephew #3 (9)
Nephew #4 (6)
Me (37)
Girlfriend (32)

Everyone enjoyed it.

Pros:
Easy to teach
Quick to play
Play experience varies with number of players
Small box
Suspenseful
Fun

Cons:
We played it too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I do love me some Pass the Pigs.

I'm still trying to acheive the Double Leaning Jowler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current press-your-luck of choice is IceDice. It's part of the Looney Pyramids system, so there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Fox
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need King of Tokyo. It is a great push your luck game to play with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a copy of Hexagony off of ebay simple dice rolling capture game that really is a hoot ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

Except Hoppladi Hopplada! (which gamesurplus.com has in stock as I post this. Buy it now!! (usually you have to order it from Germany)).

It's portable (a few dice and a score pad), it's fast, and you get to press each others' luck if you think the previous player chickened out.

As for the others, Incan Gold is most fun with larger groups (we have the Diamant version which, I think handles 8). Can't Stop can be dire (slow and unengaging while you wait) with 4 (and can even get a bit tedious with 3). Zombie Dice felt like a non-game to me. King of Tokyo can be a blast, but it's not just a simple push-your-luck game, if that's what you're looking for.

Only downside(?) of Hoppladi with kids that age would be that multiplication is involved, but there's a chart that does it for them. Incan Gold, BTW, is a great way to teach little kids (my experience was with kindergartners) the concept of division with remainders. (So sometimes a game with the kind of math they haven't gotten to yet can be a good thing -- especially when the objective is clear enough that the math is more a score-keeping thing than a calculation you need to do to determine your best move).

When our daughter was about that age, we also played a lot of Circus Flohcati (with the German rules) and, even before that, we enjoyed Duck, Duck, Bruce (well, actually, we had the Kleine Fische version, but I think the game's the same). Both are push your luck games that involve cards rather than dice.

And, going even farther afield, there's Treasure, Ready, Go! which is a kind of dexterity/memory/spatial relationship game where you press your luck temporally, in deciding whether to take on the (as yet unknown) next challenge or whether to just keep the points you have. They might be exactly the wrong age for this (i.e. it may look like a little kids game to them at an age where they want to feel like big kids, though we have a blast even as adults, so it might be one to keep in mind even if now isn't the moment.)

When they get older, there are a couple of really fun press-your-luck word games -- Jitters (which is an ebay purchase) and Tai Chi Chuan -- if you go for that kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rather tangential, don't own, haven't played: DungeonQuest. It's a dungeon crawler, but it does come down to how much loot to grab at the risk of encountering the dragon awake and being able to fight your way back. I suspect other lighter dungeon crawlers would fit as well.

Also there wouldn't the simpler dice games in general be appropriate too? Zombie Dice, Martian Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go for a dice game - I really enjoy Martian Dice. I don't have a concrete reason why I love it, I just find it's really fun, even with gamers. The rule book (well, rule sheet actually) is nicely laid out, and I pretty much teach the game as presented in the rules. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to stir things up a little, my absolute favourite Press Your Luck game is Ra...
People keep calling it an auction game for some bizarre reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H.
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Click the Wordpress link below to visit the Atlas Agency, my space for Arkham LCG reviews and videos.
badge
Click the Wordpress link below to visit the Atlas Agency, my space for Arkham LCG reviews and videos.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Incan Gold. I've had success getting my nephew, age six, to play Incan Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

+1 for Can't Stop! Great simple game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Incan Gold. Another good push your luck game geared for kids is Gopher It!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Incan Gold and Can't Stop are the best two press your luck games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both Zombie Dice and Martian Dice and I'd recommend Martian dice. You get to "strategize" over what type of die to keep each roll which is more rewarding to me.

There's always pass the pigs and farkle, those can be fun too but I'd still recommend Martian dice.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scurra wrote:
Just to stir things up a little, my absolute favourite Press Your Luck game is Ra...
People keep calling it an auction game for some bizarre reason. :)

+1 for Ra. I agree it's much more like a trick-taking press your luck game than an auction game.

You might also look at either of The Adventurers games. They're very thematic, have lots of fun components, and apparently are fun, light games (I've never played them).

For a slightly different take on the archaeology theme, you could also try Pergamon, which has a bit of a press your luck mechanic with how far you think you can dig with the museum funds you have, but the main mechanic is set collection, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids (8 and 6) enjoy both Can't Stop (bonus: the get to work on their math skills) and Martian Dice. To me it is much better than Zombie dice, both the gameplay and e theme for the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.