Subject: Looking for a game with good player interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey yall, every year I go out of town with my family and my cousins and I play games. We don't have much time since it is only for a 3-day weekend so I need some recommendations on games with good player interaction and that are not TOO hard to learn. Finally, 30-60 minutes is also important.

Not sure it matters but we range in age from 15-35 years of age. Catan was popular amongst our households, but last year we had a lot of fun with Survive! and also The Resistance.

I believe all these games were fun because rather than just take your turn and on to the next player, each of these games you talk a lot and can practically attack on and other.

Anyways, hope to hear back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people?

Surely Catan is longer than 60mins...

(Party Game)
Dixit
For Sale

(Short full game)
Pandemic/Forbidden Island (Coop but lots of chat)
Revolution!

(Longer) 60-90mins
Kingsburg
Ticket to Ride
Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter might fit the bill or Alien Frontiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario bacchi
England
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza, Saboteur, I'm the Boss!, RoboRally, Citadels, Coloretto, Ra

and maybe Dixit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne
Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow, thanks for such a quick response on the suggestions! Definitely gonna check out all the suggestions thus far. Saboteur stands out, just b/c of the name, and Dixit I saw the hype a year or two back, maybe it's time for a try.

Regarding the number of players anywhere from 3 and up, with 6-10 at full strength.

Catan was somewhat of a phenomenon for us. Me being the board game geek, introduced it (though not on a short 3-day weekend) and it literally took over my family and their families. Definitely not under 60 minutes, but there's just something about that game...I've seen serious arguments, the actual game being locked away because it caused so many problems, but thats also what made it so fun.

Carcassone it just didn't click, I personally love the game. Only my sister will ever join.

Citadels I guess just didn't have enough depth? Again a game I own and enjoy.

Pandemic and TTR I may have to revisit.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Funny that Revolution has been brought up twice. It was that or Survive and I couldn't get over the idea of sharks eating my adveraries. It was really The Resistance that was the big hit though.

We like malicious games or one's to point fingers...lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
paolojackson wrote:

Regarding the number of players anywhere from 3 and up, with 6-10 at full strength.

Edit: Doh, missed the part in the OP saying you already played The Resistance. zombie

Check out The Resistance, maybe not interaction in the way you mentioned in the OP, but it's a very fun party game, and very cheap. Buy it with whichever other game you decide to buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Eerly, played The Resistance last year and I agree it is a blast, especially with more players. Gave it to my niece since she liked it so much, I hope she brings it for the trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you check out Succession: Intrigue in the Royal Court and Nexus Ops, and see if they might have the kind of interaction you would like.

Definitely take a long look at Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Conflict.

There are some neat-looking duel-style games on kickstarter right now including Velociraptor! Cannibalism!, Gunship: First Strike!, and StelCon: Infinity.

Games with auction mechanics have some strong interactive elements, just like trading does in Catan. I suggest checking out Evo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
After reading several different reviews on each game, I think I am going to go with two games....I'm the Boss and Cosmic Encounter.

Thank again for your recommendations. If anyone thinks I should reconsider, let me know! After all, I hope to play all these games one day. I really did read reviews for ALL games posted and now will add them to my wanted list.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fine games. Don't gave too many players in Cosmic and hand select the starting aliens - so its easy to explain.

I'd still bring a party game as a crowd pleaser that can handle big numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Definitely will have a stable of games... just wanted a couple new ones. It's been a while since I've gamed at all so hopefully this will get it going again. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Twister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks again for the suggestions. Didn't play as much as I had hoped, but any time with family is good time.

Started with a more casual group playing I'm the Boss and it played just how I thought it would with my loud cousins. Definitely a great game for those who can't get with the sci-fi themes like RTFG, Cosmic Encounter, etc.

Later in the weekend I got to play Cosmic Encounter, first with 3 players, then eventually with 5 players (no flares/tech). I have to say I REALLY like this game, despite it's randomness with the alien races and artifact cards. Dying to play again.

Can't thank BGG enough, I think it's safe to say I got the gaming bug again...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
How many people?

(Party Game)
Dixit
For Sale

+1 and also Vlaada's Pictomania.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.