Popular Tags: [View All]
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, you take 10 - stat to see what number you have to roll? Why didn't the game developers just do the stats so you roll your target number or lower, not higher? Seems unnecessarily fiddly. But then, the review that just exposed me to this might be wrong. Or there may be some nuance where it is important to be this way (that's what I'm trying to figure out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rules worked completly diffent and they wanted to keep the old sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the 'fiddliness' is relative - as Henrik said, the original rules used different math and many would agree that they were overall more fiddly.

Since the values on the character sheets couldn't be changed without making them anew (thus making the old ones obsolete = upset previous customers), they changed the math instead, as the lesser of two evils.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhydderch
msg tools
The posters above have it right. It was a decision made so people could use the original components. In addition, I think they wanted to stick with the concept that higher rolls are better. You're right though, it does add some unnecessary math.

If you prefer, you can change the rolls to: Roll Equal to or Below. As long as you treat the 0 as zero and not ten, the chances will work out the same. Also, some abilities depend on a roll of 10 to trigger. Just replace the 10 with 0 in those powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhydderch wrote:

If you prefer, you can change the rolls to: Roll Equal to or Below. As long as you treat the 0 as zero and not ten, the chances will work out the same. Also, some abilities depend on a roll of 10 to trigger. Just replace the 10 with 0 in those powers.

I think this will get more fiddly as you also have to replace the effect of the 1 (always fail) with 9. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always add the die score to the relevant trait. Scores of 10 or more are a success.

Only natural 10s can trigger the special abilities of some equipment.

Much simpler, quicker and more intuitive maths in my view!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other alternative, noted elsewhere, is to add the roll to the stat, and if the result is 10+ it succeeds.
Edit: too slow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High dice roll number = good is a mentally deficient notion to stick to.

If this were all, they could have increased all stats by 1 OR made the 0 being low the rule and it would have been fine. As far as modifying stats, + bonuses would add the the value, and work out just fine without being fiddly. The rules would have had to be re-written to say the high number that always fails. I imagine a re-written book came with the game. But if you are mixing it with old content rules, then that makes sense.

People mixing old content with the new game... now this IS a very good reason for having the "10-" rule.

I agree, they made the right choice! I was hoping that was the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's base difficulty (10) reduced by characteristic to produce a success range. What is so fiddly about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Wawrzyszko
Poland
flag msg tools
I dont get it. Its simple and basic math that even 5 year old kid can do. 10-stat ... thats your difficulty. You roll less than that , you fail. You roll equal or more, good job success.

All your rule changes makes game more "fiddly" than you think rule 10-stat is . Its not that they tells you to do math of root's or more extensive math;p

This one can be done after "few" drinks;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.