Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Rules misunderstanding resulted in a whole new feel! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Harvey
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So guys myself and the 3 people I played with had a rules misunderstanding at the beginning, and by the time we figured it out it was too late to cahnge it so we just kept it up, and we all still love it!

To begin with, all of us are stubborn risk players and love to start in pretty much the same continent every game, given the opportunity. So basically here's what happened;

We didn't understand that you lose troops when expanding into YOUR OWN CITIES. So what happened is everyone placed as many cities in their "personal" continent or strategically around their personal continent as possible. Scars were played to defend your own continent cause everybody knew no one would try and move, etc.

This resulted in a game that was very much more like civilization vs. civilization than player vs. player. Even when one continent starting going bad, players still tried to stick it out and drive their "civilization" onward. It has made for quite the game, and I wouldn't change it honestly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is a definate bonus for founding Major cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first three or four games with the idea that if you had three red stars and during your turn you conquered a territory giving you the ability to purchase a fourth red star, then you won right there.

We finally realized that you needed to wait to purchase your fourth star at the start of your next turn, giving your opponents an opportunity to crush you.

Did we have less fun? No. It is part of our Earth's Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took about five games before we read "...in the first territory you attack during your turn." on Enclave of the Bear's starting power, so we played it as "The defender subtracts 1 from his lower defense die." Big difference. The Bears had a glorious beginning, before being completely ignored once we learned how to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
It took about five games before we read "...in the first territory you attack during your turn." on Enclave of the Bear's starting power, so we played it as "The defender subtracts 1 from his lower defense die." Big difference. The Bears had a glorious beginning, before being completely ignored once we learned how to read.

Same thing happened with Imperial Balkania (although I have kept playing them every game): "expand into 4+ unoccupied territories" I thought just meant take over 4+ territories and get a card every turn. That was corrected by my friends quickly.

Still a fun power.

Major spoilers:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Especially when I combined it with comeback power if you expand into a city and did not conquer, get a card and the missile power if you take a coin card take any other resource card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.