Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Roll a battle round twice and choose the best outcome. (Roll archers twice and choose. Then roll the rest and choose.)"

How does this work exactly?

Thanks,
--Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm, roll twice for archers, choose the best roll. Then roll for the rest of the army twice and choose the best result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rupe
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nashville board game con every March: tngamedays.com
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally, it was just too confusing (for large battles) to say that you can roll a whole battle round twice when we tried it that way. Combatants had to keep separate casualty lists for the archer volley and the rest of the army.

So we split that card up to make you roll archers, archers again, and choose the best outcome of the 2 archer rolls. Then roll the rest of the army, the rest again, and choose the best result between those 2.

"Best outcome" typically means the most hits. But we intentionally left it up to your discretion based on the situation. Maybe you don't want to leave your whole army exposed, so you don't really want to win the battle outright since attacker can retreat between battle rounds. Or maybe you are holding "Capitulation" which lets you steal his soldiers if you have 8+ remaining and he has 2 or fewer. Since people keep their best soldiers for last, in that case, you might choose an outcome that leaves a pair of knights or warlords alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russ... Apologies for the brevity of my original post...late night gaming session and smartphone typing at the table got the better of me.

We had some debate about this, where the attacker (playing the card) felt all his units should roll twice before the defender rolls once. Others thought the card player (and he alone) would roll twice during archer and remaining. But it seems all of us were incorrect.

sporksfoons wrote:
So we split that card up to make you roll archers, archers again, and choose the best outcome of the 2 archer rolls. Then roll the rest of the army, the rest again, and choose the best result between those 2.

So it seems that:
Archer Combat
- each side rolls twice
- card bearer chooses the best pair (attacker/defender 1st roll OR attacker/defender 2nd roll - and not "my first roll and your second roll")
- choose casualties
Other Combat - repeat as above for remaining units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rupe
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for not stating it more clearly, but I was talking only about the person who played the card, the attacker. A better phrasing for the card would have been "Roll your side of a battle round twice..."

The defender only rolls one time.

Who rolls first is actually irrelevant because combat is simultaneous (page 4).

Defender chooses casualties first (also p4), if the players care about the timing. I often don't, but occasionally a fight will come down to me choosing an archer as a casualty to let one of my other guys attack if the defender pulled his archers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is perfectly clear now, thank you!

In our situation the defender (with three archers) rolled 3 hits... so really there is no way to effect that outcome...but at least the attacker has a chance to cause more damage before proceeding...

Thanks again & we had a great time with the initial play - a fun game with a very real theme...

--Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rupe
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it!

I've added this to our FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.