R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to go to Sacramento I have a few suggestions.

For Sushi, in West Sacramento there's a place called Raku which is an excellent all you can eat sushi joint.

Mana in Sacramento proper is a more standard sushi place, with reasonable prices, nice decor and good quality fish.

Giovani's Pizzeria is kind of a dive but has excellent New York style pizza.

In Midtown Sacramento there's a great pizza by the slice place called Pieces. Total dive, only takes cash, but it's excellent, especially if you like pesto pizza.

When I lived in Napa, all I could afford was Taco Bell and Denny's so I can't give you a lot of advice about that town. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Morimoto Napa! Huge menu, and everything is inventive and amazing. Can stand with any high-end restaurant in the Bay Area.

Napa's expensive. Oxbow Public Market is the best value for food, and it isn't cheap either, but at least you can eat light before you get blown away at dinner. There's a great upscale taco place in there.

Fatted Calf is a beautiful charcuterie next to the market (the meats on display are beautiful). I like to buy prosciutto and rillettes here to complete my picnic kit (this and Bouchon Bakery), and they also have inexpensive mouth-watering sandwiches which I haven't tried yet. If you like lamb, be sure to buy the lamb bacon and fry it up at home.

If you're going to check out wineries, Frog's Leap is my favorite in Napa. Balanced wines that agree with my palate, and a quaint homely setting (which is unique; nearly all wineries in Napa come off as well-oiled corporations). Among the more touristy wineries, V Sattui has the best value in my opinion: $10 for tasting (when even a $15 price tag is hard to come by now). Get a bottle and they'll comp it (at least they did for my miserly $27 purchase), then take it out to the excellent picnic area (this is the most picnic-friendly winery), and discreetly gorge on the meats you smuggled in.

Links
4 Great Napa Valley Hikes - I don't go to Napa to hike, but this has to be the cheapest entertainment; take advantage of the weather and have a picnic.
Oxbow Public Market
Fatted Calf
Bouchon Bakery
Frog's Leap
V Sattui
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:
All you can eat Sushi? That sounds amazing!!!! Is it decent sushi though or is it all you can eat Sushi in the sense that Chinese buffets offer all you can eat sushi soblue?

The latter. If you want good sushi in Sacramento, hit up Mikuni or Mana.

For BBQ, go to Sandra Dee's in midtown Sacramento.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starbuck
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in Vacaville and still live close by. I am, however, not a foodie. But I can tell you my favorite Mexican place there is Favela's. Best burritos and encheladas around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Magus And Princess wrote:
All you can eat Sushi? That sounds amazing!!!! Is it decent sushi though or is it all you can eat Sushi in the sense that Chinese buffets offer all you can eat sushi soblue?

The latter. If you want good sushi in Sacramento, hit up Mikuni or Mana.

For BBQ, go to Sandra Dee's in midtown Sacramento.
That's just not true. I've eaten at Mikuni and you will pay twice as much for lower quality goods than you you will at Raku.

Mana is more reasonably priced than Mikuni's and the quality is a little higher, but there's no reason to be negative about Raku, the food is excellent, and if you want to spend $20.00 on sushi you will get more sushi there than you will at any other location in Sacramento. If you're not looking for that much sushi, Mana is your next best bet. If you like looking at a restaurant more than eating there, Mikuni is the right choice.

Take a look at the reviews from Yelp or from Urban Spoon.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/raku-sushi-west-sacramento

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/36/1430057/restaurant/Sacramento...

At Mikuni you pay for the decor and the pretensions. At Raku you get higher quality and better prices in a less fancy setting.

Closer to Napa, I was able to remember one place I used to go that wasn't crazy expensive, in St. Helena, which is about 20 minutes north (I think, maybe further) from Napa, there's a great little deli/sanwich shop called Giuni's. Here's the yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/giugni-w-f-and-son-grocery-co-saint-...

Here's a pretty well written review of a cute little place I ate at once in Napa. It's at a hotel or something, and it's not in napa proper it's kind of out in the sticks but I don't think it's more than 5-10 minutes out of town. Personally I thought the food was good - I think I got the Green Eggs and Ham, which was tasty.

http://www.napaeats.com/napa-valley-restaurant-reviews/boon-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maggie Ferrill
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I love Morimoto Napa! Huge menu, and everything is inventive and amazing. Can stand with any high-end restaurant in the Bay Area.

Napa's expensive. Oxbow Public Market is the best value for food, and it isn't cheap either, but at least you can eat light before you get blown away at dinner. There's a great upscale taco place in there.

Fatted Calf is a beautiful charcuterie next to the market (the meats on display are beautiful). I like to buy prosciutto and rillettes here to complete my picnic kit (this and Bouchon Bakery), and they also have inexpensive mouth-watering sandwiches which I haven't tried yet. If you like lamb, be sure to buy the lamb bacon and fry it up at home.

If you're going to check out wineries, Frog's Leap is my favorite in Napa. Balanced wines that agree with my palate, and a quaint homely setting (which is unique; nearly all wineries in Napa come off as well-oiled corporations). Among the more touristy wineries, V Sattui has the best value in my opinion: $10 for tasting (when even a $15 price tag is hard to come by now). Get a bottle and they'll comp it (at least they did for my miserly $27 purchase), then take it out to the excellent picnic area (this is the most picnic-friendly winery), and discreetly gorge on the meats you smuggled in.

Links
4 Great Napa Valley Hikes - I don't go to Napa to hike, but this has to be the cheapest entertainment; take advantage of the weather and have a picnic.
Oxbow Public Market
Fatted Calf
Bouchon Bakery
Frog's Leap
V Sattui

Bouchon Bakery is awesome, or you can go to the French Bistro next door (Bouchon) if you're feeling like a fancy lunch. Amazing Salmon Rillettes. yum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.