Popular Tags: [View All]
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three questions:

1. Can Roxelana be played by another faction to "rescue" Suleiman when he is captured and send him to Istanbul?

Card Text:

"May be played by any player as 4 CPs. If played by Ottoman, formation with Suleiman gets one free assault (no CP cost), even on a fortress not under siege at the start of the impulse. If played by another power, they may spend 2 of the CP to send the Suleiman leader to Istanbul."

2. Am I correct in thinking that there are no stacking violations (except in winter), only activation maximums = formation limits?

Can the pope stack eight men in a spot and then defend with all of them if attacked?

3. Am I correct in thinking that formations can run around the enemy country side without regard to LOC, but cannot capture anything that they don't have LOC to and cannot avoid battle or retreat even when attacking if they don't have a controlled or friendly space to run to when they retreat?

If Henry VIII is standing in a french controlled spot with eight men and attacks two, and rolls miserably, does he get captured and all eight of his men die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No. While any player can play, it recalls Sully, but is not a ransom. There is a specific card for that. Evidently yes, see Word of ED below.
2) Yes, yes
3) Yes, yes
First rule of HIS, NEVER put yourself in a situation without safe retreat. Dice are fickle and capricious, and defenders win ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I don't think (not 100% sure) that Roxelana could save Suleiman if he is captured. This only applies if he is on the map.

2 - Correct.

3 - Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
1) Actually I have ruled that it is legal to have any player OTHER THAN THE OTTOMAN play Roxelana to return Suleiman from captivity. See here for the rationale:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd00596/6484

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
She sure has her charms. whistle

Thanks for the answer Ed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kiertscher
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
Weltenbeherrscher
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my first game yesterday but i'm not sure about your 2nd point.

As i read the rules from 5.1:

"Formations
A formation is a group of land units in a single space that functions
as a combined entity for the purposes of movement, field battle,
intercept, and assault. One or more army leaders may also be included in the formation."

So the defending units in a field battle can only fight with 4 units because its a formation with no leader. not? Are there any rules I do not take into account?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Kiertscher wrote:
Are there any rules I do not take into account?

Yes.

A formation is a stack of unit that tries to do something. Moving, intercepting, avoiding battle, spring deploying. This is explicit in the relevant sections of the rules (e.g. Step 1 of both the Move Formation Procedure and Interception Procedure is called "Declare Formation").

However, Step 3 of the Field Battle Procedure (Section 14, page 19) tells you how many dice the defender rolls: "1 die for each defending land unit in the space; 1 die for each Battle Rating point from the highest-rated leader in the defending force; 1 die for being the defender." Formations are not relevant here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kiertscher
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
Weltenbeherrscher
mbmbmbmbmb
great, thank for the clarification!

Another follow up question, the follwing is then legal?

1. move a leader leading 6 units to besiege a fortified space with lets say, 3 units
2. move another 4 units onto this space
next impuls
3. Assault with 6 units from the stack of 10 units

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Kiertscher wrote:
Another follow up question, the follwing is then legal?

1. move a leader leading 6 units to besiege a fortified space with lets say, 3 units
2. move another 4 units onto this space
next impuls
3. Assault with 6 units from the stack of 10 units

Yes, that is legal and you would roll 4 or 5 dice (6 units divided by 2, plus one or two dice for the leader) versus the defender's 4 dice. And it would even be allowed for you to take casualties from the units that didn't take part in the assault, as per Step 9 of the Assault Procedure: "Each side eliminates one land unit from their stack of units in the space for each hit ...". Again, the distinction between Formation and Stack is relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.