Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The village needs some sports.

Post your top 5 sports heartbreaks here.

Here are mine:

1) Pasting: Broncos making the Super Bowl again in the 89 season and getting shellacked by the 49ers 55-10.

2) Sewell Fumble: Broncos almost make the Super Bowl again in 91 but lose 10-9 to the Bills. They recovered an onsides kick but Steve Sewell fumbled a swing pass moments later.

3) Shrug game: The Blazers getting killed by the Bulls in Game 1 (Jordan's shrug game).

4) KobeShaq: Lakers beating the Blazers in Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals after Portland was up by 15 or so in the fourth.

5) Puckett: Kirby Puckett's extra inning homer off of Charlie Leibrandt when everyone knew it was going to happen. Not as much a Braves fan now, but I was.

Also: Broncos losing to Jags in 1996, and of recent memory Jay Cutler's injury last year after an interception.

I am probably missing some, like college basketball and more baseball, but those are the ones I thought of first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Cubs fan. Can I only post 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:

Here are mine:

1) Pasting: Broncos making the Super Bowl again in the 89 season and getting shellacked by the 49ers 55-10.

2) Sewell Fumble: Broncos almost make the Super Bowl again in 91 but lose 10-9 to the Bills. They recovered an onsides kick but Steve Sewell fumbled a swing pass moments later.

3) Shrug game: The Blazers getting killed by the Bulls in Game 1 (Jordan's shrug game).

4) KobeShaq: Lakers beating the Blazers in Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals after Portland was up by 15 or so in the fourth.

5) Puckett: Kirby Puckett's extra inning homer off of Charlie Leibrandt when everyone knew it was going to happen. Not as much a Braves fan now, but I was.

Also: Broncos losing to Jags in 1996, and of recent memory Jay Cutler's injury last year after an interception.

I am probably missing some, like college basketball and more baseball, but those are the ones I thought of first.

And I'm trying to figure out why/how Snaak became such a big Bronco's fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Here are mine:

oh! I was doing the same thing! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
miraria wrote:

Wow, yeah plenty there.

You going back to Hack Wilson and Ernie Banks years or you just going to stick with Bartman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
1. 2006 World Series and the Tigers pitchers' lack of fielding.

2. Michigan vs. Appalachian State: The Horror

3. 2010 1-game playoff between Detroit and Minnesota.

4. The Rich Rodriguez years. Not that he should shoulder all of the blame, but it was a terrible 3 years to be a Michigan fan.

I'll have to think about a fifth. These are in no particular order, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Don't mean to twist a knife Chicken, but one of my favorite games I've seen is the Northwestern game when they beat Michigan (A-Train's fumble).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
miraria wrote:

Wow, yeah plenty there.

You going back to Hack Wilson and Ernie Banks years or you just going to stick with Bartman?

Actually, I am one of the cubs fans that say Bartman got a bad rap. I mean yes, stupid move, but in the excitement of the game stuff happens. Just maybe if you get that excited sit on your hands.

but it's not his fault they lost that game. that wasn't the final play of the game BY FAR! and they are professional athletes who let themselves fall apart because a fan caught a ball. that's their fault, not his.

But I started being a cubs fan in the late 80's, but REALLY became a fan in the mid 90's so i don't go way back in my fandom.

but man, hitting 100 years. That was rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, if I remember correctly they had a series of bad things happen after the Bartman play...but he gets the blame partly due to it "starting a chain reaction of bad luck." People don't say much about the shortstop who booted the ball in the 8th or 9th inning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Here are mine:

I'm trying to figure out why/how Snaak became such a big Blazers fan. (nevermind, Murph made the post, and all makes sense again.) His #3 and #4 definitely make my list. Sean Elliot nailing a 3 to win the game with his heals overhanging the out-of-bounds line in 1999 is also up there (it even has it's own Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day_Miracle).

Edit: All of this makes a lot more sense when I discovered that "Snaak" was really Murph... (fooled by the cloned avatar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from Buffalo.

/thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leafs vs. Kings. Campbell Conference finals. 1993.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Don't mean to twist a knife Chicken, but one of my favorite games I've seen is the Northwestern game when they beat Michigan (A-Train's fumble).

That one hurt bad. We had that game in hand. Thomas saw the end zone and got too excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What about this, Chicken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone loves to hate the Cowboys - but I always tell people that as a long-time Cowboys fan, I've watched many more losing seasons than winning ones. Tony Romo screwing up holding the ball steady causing a missed field goal from 20 yards out that would have won the playoff game is probably the stinger that still hurts the most.

A lot of my other ones are dull ongoing pain, not specific 10-second heartbreak moments...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
dbmurph22 wrote:
What about this, Chicken?

I was still pretty young for that one. Don't think I stayed up and watched the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
As a Raiders fan, the 2002 AFC Championship game versus the Patriots hurt. That was a fumble, dammit!

Losing to Air Force last year because our quarterback displayed unsportsmanlike conduct after scoring a touchdown, resulting in a longer PAT that was missed. Heartbreaking, especially after coming back from 18 down with less than five minutes to go. There went the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. 2009 one game playoff between the Tigers and the Twins

I was going to list #2 as my #1 until Chicken reminded me of this. Oh man, was it ever bad ... The Tigers lost a huge lead in the final weeks, were up 3 games with 4 games to play and somehow lost that, which forced a one game playoff. Then the Tigers were up 3-0 early and blew that. Then took the lead in the top of the 10th inning in extras and blew that. Then lost in the 12th. Just brutal.

2. 1996 Red Wings loss to the Avalanche in the Conference Finals

This was the first year I really got hard core into sports, and my first sports heart break was one of the worst for me. It helped the next year become my favorite sports year though, as the Wings got their revenge and then some.

3. The Lions. End of.

4. 2006 Tigers loss in the World Series

5. 2011 Tigers loss in the ALCS

I'm a much bigger Tigers fan now than I was in 2006, so this may have even topped my list, but my grandma died just before it started, so it was hard to take sports as seriously for a while after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
Leafs vs. Kings. Campbell Conference finals. 1993.

Specifically, game six. Leafs go in with a 3-2 series lead, and can close it out in Los Angeles.

Leafs are down 4-1 going into the third, and somehow claw their way back into it, tying it up 4-4 to send it to overtime.

In the extra frame came the most notorious non-call in Toronto sports history. Wayne Gretzky clubs Doug Gilmour with a high stick that would have knocked Dougie's front teeth out (if he'd had any to begin with). Gilmour is bleeding all over the Colosseum, but Kerry "Helmethair" Fraser lets it go.

Less than a minute later, Gretzky pots the winner. He should have been sitting in the box, if not the dressing room.

The Kings go on to win game seven, and then lose the final to a ridiculously hot Patrick Roy and the rest of the Habs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Also: The Prevent Defense. Like, all of it.

Any football team that is ahead in the final minutes veers from the game plan that forged its lead, and adopts "The Prevent Defense" in an attempt to stop "the big play." The rallying team proceeds to dink and dive ten, fifteen yards at a time and turns what should have been an easy victory into a nail biter at best, and a loss at worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
"Helmethair"

Seriously... look at this thing...

LOOK AT IT! Why didn't he wear a helmet during games? Because that small animal on his head would kick it off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, before my time, and I'm not a CFL fan, but I've heard the story enough times...

Take yourself to the Google and look up Leo Cahill and the "Act of God" for lessons on humility and keeping your trap shut. Suffice to say, the big guy was up to the challenge that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Beowulf wrote:
As a Raiders fan, the 2002 AFC Championship game versus the Patriots hurt. That was a fumble, dammit!

Losing to Air Force last year because our quarterback displayed unsportsmanlike conduct after scoring a touchdown, resulting in a longer PAT that was missed. Heartbreaking, especially after coming back from 18 down with less than five minutes to go. There went the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy.

The Tuck Rule Game was terrible. Terrible. I love this clip with the radio guys:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
funkadillo wrote:

I was going to list #2 as my #1 until Chicken reminded me of this. Oh man, was it ever bad ... The Tigers lost a huge lead in the final weeks, were up 3 games with 4 games to play and somehow lost that, which forced a one game playoff. Then the Tigers were up 3-0 early and blew that. Then took the lead in the top of the 10th inning in extras and blew that. Then lost in the 12th. Just brutal.

This was the first year I really got hard core into sports, and my first sports heart break was one of the worst for me. It helped the next year become my favorite sports year though, as the Wings got their revenge and then some.

3. The Lions. End of.

I'm a much bigger Tigers fan now than I was in 2006, so this may have even topped my list, but my grandma died just before it started, so it was hard to take sports as seriously for a while after that.

Wait, was it 2009? I thought it was 2010? It remains the most entertaining baseball game I've ever seen. I remember myself willing Gerald Laird NOT to swing at the 3-2 pitch, even if it was right down the middle of the plate. It was then that I realized that I don't have Jedi powers, as he swung at one way out of the zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
funkadillo wrote:

3. The Lions. End of.

Also, you're from Detroit, funk? You should hitch a ride with miraria down to Toledo some time for one of our gaming events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.