Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm an English graduate who fairly recently got another degree in the Health field. I work for a hospital now, but not doing direct patient care.

That said, since I deal with it all day I love to talk about the things that may ail you.

So this thread is for that (sort of branching from the Fitness thread).

Feel free to ask any questions (to me or anyone) and to discuss this sort of thing here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop being snaak. It's messing with my mental health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shushnik wrote:
Stop being snaak. It's messing with my mental health.

Therapy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What should I do for health insurance?

My wife and I are recently voluntarily unemployed and expect to be unemployed or self employed for quite a while. Right now we are on COBRA but we will need to buy some sort of insurance soon. I expect to get some kind of crappy catastrophic insurance with like a $5000 deductible and have most medical work done outside the US (Mexico, Hungary, and Thailand come to mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm doing a lot of inpatient stuff right now and not direct insurance work but I would recommend just being diligent with it and not settling for the expected major medical only with major deductible. That seems like the default. But if you really start bouncing things off of certain plans and such you may be able to get something fairly manageable, perhaps a little more than the crappy plan, but not insanely more. Preventative care is focused on more and more now, outpatient surgeries, even alt care. The insurance situation can be pretty crappy but you may be able to come up with something decent depending on what your needs are. Make sure it matches up with your medical needs of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I'm an English graduate who fairly recently got another degree in the Health field. I work for a hospital now, but not doing direct patient care.

That said, since I deal with it all day I love to talk about the things that may ail you.

So this thread is for that (sort of branching from the Fitness thread).

Feel free to ask any questions (to me or anyone) and to discuss this sort of thing here.

like what are you thinking here? as far as discussions go? this is quite a broad topic

I have high blood pressure. thats part of why i want to lose some weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
like anything that has to do with health, but not specifically fitness and diet things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miraria wrote:

For a quick temporary fix, give up caffeine.

I got my blood pressure under control first by quitting caffeine, then by doing yoga, then by losing a little weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Also watch your salt intake obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Menace wrote:
[q="miraria"]

For a quick temporary fix, give up caffeine.

I got my blood pressure under control first by quit

well, funny you should say that.

I just gave up mt dew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:

yeah, i try and do this to a point. I never add salt to anything, but it is in SO MUCH STUFF! It's really hard to avoid and i need to put more effort into that.

Also, I am on pills, but they lower it only so much. I need to take this more serious as a health risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
miraria wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

yeah, i try and do this to a point. I never add salt to anything, but it is in SO MUCH STUFF! It's really hard to avoid and i need to put more effort into that.

Also, I am on pills, but they lower it only so much. I need to take this more serious as a health risk.

Not to be a downer here, but my mother died of a heart attack at 42. So I take high blood pressure VERY seriously, and recommend anyone else do so as well.

Fortunately for me, my blood pressure is quite low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Menace wrote:
I expect to get some kind of crappy catastrophic insurance with like a $5000 deductible and have most medical work done outside the US (Mexico, Hungary, and Thailand come to mind).

If you go the HDHP route, you may want to look into setting up a Health Savings Account (HSA). There are some nice tax advantages and the money doesn't have to be used by the end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
miraria wrote:

Do you have any sleeping problems? Or stress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
miraria wrote:

high blood pressure is fairly common, but it is a health risk. It's directly associated with your kidney function. It makes your kidneys less effective (some damage) and in doing so increases your BP more since they can't filter what they need. It's a bad cycle.

Weight, salt (not just voluntary salt, but things like processed foods), caffeine, exercise, reduce stress. Just think about things that would cause your circulatory system to get stenotic (narrowed by plaque or by just naturally narrowing). Also I would say drink more water. Seems like it would increase your fluid, but I think the body tends to "hold on" to stuff if it feels it's not getting enough. So if you're not drinking enough water your body may retain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jmilum wrote:
miraria wrote:

Jmil, from previous chit chatting, she just had a sleep study done and has gotten some help for it (to sleep better).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
jmilum wrote:
Menace wrote:
I expect to get some kind of crappy catastrophic insurance with like a $5000 deductible and have most medical work done outside the US (Mexico, Hungary, and Thailand come to mind).

If you go the HDHP route, you may want to look into setting up a Health Savings Account (HSA). There are some nice tax advantages and the money doesn't have to be used by the end of the year.

I have a HDHP and HSA and I love it. It may not be for everyone, but I am very healthy and not terribly risk-averse like most Americans. Actually about 75% of what I pay into my plan goes to my HSA. I look at it more as a retirement account from which I can draw if I have any health emergencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
miraria wrote:

Jmil, from previous chit chatting, she just had a sleep study done and has gotten some help for it (to sleep better).

I've read some studies linking sleep deprivation to increased risk of high blood pressure and to worsening those with it already. I believe the tipping point was 5 or less hours of sleep a night. But for people with high blood pressure it was important to get 7 hours of good sleep a night. It was theorized that sleep was needed to put the mojo on stress hormones or something funky like that.

Everyone could do with a good nights rest, but I was just surprised to find that the lack of it might affect blood pressure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Makes sense. Also not just hours of sleep, but hours of good sleep I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:

I have a HDHP and HSA and I love it.

Do you have a link better than the wikipedia entry?

Is an HSP offered through the insurance provider or do you set it up with your financial institution?

This sounds like a great deal for anyone... $3000/year tax deferred until used or age 65, and maybe tax free in some cases.

My company offered something like this but I don't think it rolled over. If it did, I'm annoyed that I wasn't socking away tax deferred money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Menace wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:

I have a HDHP and HSA and I love it.

Is an HSP offered through the insurance provider or do you set it up with your financial institution?

This sounds like a great deal for anyone... $3000/year tax deferred until used or age 65, and maybe tax free in some cases.

My company offered something like this but I don't think it rolled over. If it did, I'm annoyed that I wasn't socking away tax deferred money.

As long as you have a high deductible plan you are eligible for a HSA. It's basically an IRA, only you can withdraw the money early with no taxes or penalty to pay for health expenses.

You may be thinking of an FSA (flex spending account). Per tax dollars allocated for healthcare expenses, but does not roll over year to year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
miraria wrote:

I've read some studies linking sleep deprivation to increased risk of high blood pressure and to worsening those with it already. I believe the tipping point was 5 or less hours of sleep a night. But for people with high blood pressure it was important to get 7 hours of good sleep a night. It was theorized that sleep was needed to put the mojo on stress hormones or something funky like that.

Everyone could do with a good nights rest, but I was just surprised to find that the lack of it might affect blood pressure.

yeah, i jsut got a cpap machine last week. They mentioned to me that my high blood pressure could be partially from the apnea.

also suggested I take some walks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Menace wrote:

Either I believe. Here's a link to the US Treasury page on HSAs

I think chicken is right, what your company of offered was probably an FSA, which is different and would have to be used up by the end of the year. An HSA is only available with an HDHP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation of a HDHP, but if you are young and healthy, I'd look into it. It's also important that you would be able to pay the catastrophic expense limit if you need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
My company offers an HDHP option, but I'm not sure it's right for my family. We are generally healthy but we take *a lot* of drugs, expensive drugs. The company actually would match some of the HSA up to a certain cap also. But I think when I did the numbers last year, we would hit the $5k deductible in 3 months from drug costs alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.