Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sandberg
United States
kentwood
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that when a figure moves into water they must stop and when they move out of water it counts as two spaces but how does it work for a figure to move through water. Example: There is a mote around a castle which is the edge of the board. To get to the back side of the castle the attacking figure must move through seven spaces of nothing but water. Does each water tile count as two? Can he move normally except when he enters and leaves the water?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You stop each time you enter a water tile. So, your figure can only move one space per turn in the water unless otherwise noted on the card.

-Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving into water from any space will stop your movement. So moving through 3 tiles of water will take you 3 turns.
Moving out of water you pay movement points according to the height of the tile you move to. So 2 points if it is 1 level higher, 3 points if 2 levels higher etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Johnson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are slightly different for a 2 hex figure. It can continue its move through a single hex width of water, it does not have to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sandberg
United States
kentwood
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/614581/doh-learning-how-to-r...

What I'm saying is, don't feel bad about needing clarification on this rule!

gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will get good advice here and I expect it will be correct most of the time, but questions about the rules of Heroscape will be answered fastest and best in the Question Dump at the Heroscapers website.

I'm not sure what you meant by "when they move out of water it counts as two spaces," but it's not true. Water is a "zero hex tile," which means it counts as if it's on the level below it. Shadow hexes, among others, work the same. If you are climbing to get out of the water, you must climb from the one level to the next. You climb out of the water the same way you climb *not* out of water. It costs 1 move for each level you want to climb, regardless of whether you are starting in water. But if you are, for instance, moving from a water hex to a shadow hex *on the same level,* you do not pay any kind of move penalty.

As to the moat. Well, yeah, if it really is seven hexes wide, non-fliers (and non-swimmers) better hope the drawbridge is down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ds3272 wrote:
I'm not sure what you meant by "when they move out of water it counts as two spaces," but it's not true. Water is a "zero hex tile," which means it counts as if it's on the level below it. Shadow hexes, among others, work the same. If you are climbing to get out of the water, you must climb from the one level to the next. You climb out of the water the same way you climb *not* out of water. It costs 1 move for each level you want to climb, regardless of whether you are starting in water. But if you are, for instance, moving from a water hex to a shadow hex *on the same level,* you do not pay any kind of move penalty.

Well, people generally have a bank beside the water, since IRL water fills the hole it's in, and doesn't avoid shadowy areas. In other words, you can't get out of water without moving uphill, so it will cost you at least two movement to climb out, depending on how high the bank is. Of course, if you want to make a map where water magically stays in an area despite level ground being beside it, I suppose it wouldn't take two movement to get out of the water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
ds3272 wrote:

Well, people generally have a bank beside the water, since IRL water fills the hole it's in, and doesn't avoid shadowy areas. In other words, you can't get out of water without moving uphill, so it will cost you at least two movement to climb out, depending on how high the bank is. Of course, if you want to make a map where water magically stays in an area despite level ground being beside it, I suppose it wouldn't take two movement to get out of the water.

Regardless of imaginings - in the game, water is on level 0 (zero) and the surrounding land is on level 1 (one), so you have to climb UP to get out of water onto land. Two hex figures can avoid stepping down into water when crossing a 1 width stream, as one of their feet is always on level 1, and their feet act as a bridge. Once in water, 2 hex figures still take 1 step per turn in water, and have to climb up the same way as small figures to get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made plenty of maps where there was water not on level zero, and you can have land on level zero if you're using a mat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I've made plenty of maps where there was water not on level zero, and you can have land on level zero if you're using a mat...

Yes, well there are no absolute rules about the usage of mats, which were designed to speed up board construction, and should resemble the terrain they mimic virtually, at least. Of course you can have water at upper levels, but the water (according to the rules of the game) is one level below its surrounding land no matter what height on your map the water is placed. And, house rules enable the absolute freedom to do whatever you want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.