Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I either don't like the rulebook OR I might not like the game. I hope it's a great game with a poor rulebook.

The end of our first game saw a crushing German victory. Eindhoven was still German controlled!

A few questions, thanks in advance for your replies:

1. Sunset/end of turn. Explain it to me as if I was a child. Modifiers, number of dice, why does the track go to 13, you name it! We don't get it at all.

2. Can several bombers combine when attacking? How about artillery?

3. Is it just me or is it virtually impossible to kill units in this game unless you completely surround them?

4. When placing the airborne supply markers turn 1 they stay put and never move. If conquered the airborne units are s**t out of luck for the rest of the game?

5. XXX corps supply. Can these supply tokens move as the road opens up or do you have to count from area F all the time?

6. Maximum number of flak/interdiction? Around Arnhem the Germans can easily position seven or so flak units and completely shut down supply. Or is there a max with regards to interdiction?

7. Can armored units only attack along roads?

I think that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Eindhoven was still German controlled!

You must be doing something wrong.

Turn 1 opens with an artillery barrage in Zone F. If the Allies roll evens or better, all the Germans in Zone F go spent. You then have the compulsory assault which is at some incredibly good odds where you will usually force most of the spent German units to go to D2 or retreat out of Zone F. These German remnants should be finished off in a couple of impulses.

On your others:

Quote:
3. Is it just me or is it virtually impossible to kill units in this game unless you completely surround them?

Lets say you attack a single fresh unit with no DR modifiers. If you roll 1 better, it goes spent; 2 better, it goes D1 (or spent and retreats); 3 better, it goes D2 (or D1 and retreat); 4 better, it goes D2 and retreats; 5 better, it dies.

So a fresh unit is hard to kill. A stack of fresh units is impossible to kill. A single D2 unit is easy to kill, since if your win the combat by 2 or more, it dies. A stack of D2 units are harder to kill.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
taragalinas wrote:
I either don't like the rulebook OR I might not like the game. I hope it's a great game with a poor rulebook. :D

The end of our first game saw a crushing German victory. Eindhoven was still German controlled!

A few questions, thanks in advance for your replies:

1. Sunset/end of turn. Explain it to me as if I was a child. Modifiers, number of dice, why does the track go to 13, you name it! We don't get it at all.

2. Can several bombers combine when attacking? How about artillery?

4. When placing the airborne supply markers turn 1 they stay put and never move. If conquered the airborne units are s**t out of luck for the rest of the game?

5. XXX corps supply. Can these supply tokens move as the road opens up or do you have to count from area F all the time?

6. Maximum number of flak/interdiction? Around Arnhem the Germans can easily position seven or so flak units and completely shut down supply. Or is there a max with regards to interdiction?

7. Can armored units only attack along roads?

I think that's about it.

Bjorn,
Here are some answers for you:

Make sure you get the updated rules. See the MGMG board on ConSimWorld. The first edition rules in the box were awful. It is a very good game once you get the rules straightened out.

I had only one game where Eindhoven held out through the third day, and the Allies had gone around it up to Zeeland. If XXX corps hasn't done one or the other, Allied play has been very poor. One bad mistake beginners sometimes make is using too many units in their first assault in Zone F. Use only a few units per impulse and assault several times till you clear it out and use the remaining fresh units to assault out of Zone F. Even if the flak tower in Eindhoven is fresh, it can often be assaulted on the first turn if enough fresh units remain after clearing Zone F and Valkenswaard.

1) During each Allied impulse, check to see if the impulse marker moves, the weather changes, or the day (turn) ends. The first roll of two dice (a DR) that the Allied player makes each impulse is compared to the current position of the impulse marker. If no DR is made during the impulse, make a DR anyway for this purpose after all Allied actions are done. If the DR>marker position, the marker moves to the next higher number at the end of the impulse, and it becomes the German's turn. If the DR=marker position, the marker moves up and the weather changes for the next impulse and stays in effect unless another weather change occurs or a new day starts. If the DR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4) That's exactly what happened to the 1st Airborne...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I forgot to check. My intended post got truncated.

1) cont'd. If the DR < marker position, then the day will end at the end of the current Allied impulse. It doesn't end right after the DR. The Allies can continue to activate fresh units in the active area, can still do their Zone F activation, and can even declare a double impulse and take another impulse knowing that the day will end after the impulse is done.

2) Each air bombardment counter attacks alone. It may not combine with the other air marker nor with artillery. Artillery may combine in one barrage or bombardment. One artillery gets full factor, and any others add +1.

3) Many German units die in a typical game. For example: An area with a TEM of +1 has three spent German units, each DF = 1. If the British assault this area with one 8-factor armor unit and two other units of the Gds division, the attack will be at 11-2. If the British win the DR by 1 or more, the Germans will have to lose 10 "steps". Each spent unit absorbs two to go to D2, then one more to retreat or die. Since the three German units can only absorb 9 "step losses" they are all eliminated without the option to retreat, and an overrun may result. Note that flak towers can't retreat, so a D2 flak tower must absorb a loss by dying.

4) All the supply depot markers are placed anew each refit phase. They do not have to use the same supply head as the turn before. If an airborne division loses both its supply drop areas it's in some trouble and this can happen to the British 1st. But usually they are able to capture Driel on the first impulse and sometimes can capture Wolfheze as well.

5) The XXX corps depots can be in any free area that can trace a path of free areas along the road to Zone F. They resupply units from the advanced area. Similar rules apply to German depots except they can start from any zone except Zone F. Note that supply lines can cross ferries, but depots cannot. So a depot in Pannerden can supply German units in Nijmegen, but you can't put the depot in or adjacent to Nijmegen unless Arnhem has no British units in it.

6) There is no max to flak interdiction of supply. It is hard to get much flak adjacent to Driel, but it can be done if the German wants to badly enough and retains control of the Arnhem bridge.

7) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Riker
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A concrete example of the fabulous Sunset Dieroll:
It's impulse 5 of the September 18th turn,the weather is clear,and the Germans have had their impulse so it's the Allies time.
They activate an Area and launch an assault. As part of the combat, they will make a DR (2 6-sided dice) if they Roll a 4 then this will be the LAST impulse of the day. If they Roll a 5 then the turn WILL continue, but the Weather Marker will flip (clear to overcast). If they Roll a 6, then the turn WILL continue and the weather will remain clear.

You also asked why the Track goes to 13 (there must be a Spinal Tap joke in there somewhere) anyway, there is a process where the Allies can get DRM - Die Roll Modifiers which could take a High roll like a 12 (on turn 12) and make it a 13+ and so the turn would continue. I believe that impulse 13 is the outside limit to the day. As an FYI, usually all units will be spent before 13 impulses occur, but hey, you never know.
To get the DRM, I believe the Allies must kill 4 or more German Units in a single impulse--something like that. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.