M *
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you have a rulebook that makes you rage? I've encountered quite a few that make me want to throw the rulebook across the room. In particular the "exception:" clause has bugged me a lot recently.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Though it is mostly fine, the Ravensburger game Asara has one rule section that frustrated the hell out of me. Roughly:

"Place a buyer on a building space to build a tower. You must use as many tower pieces as the number of the space you place your buyer on"

You assume that if you have 3 tower pieces, you must place it on the 3 space to build the tower. And since it's a worker placement game, you would figure from this, that if the 3 space was taken, you're out of luck.

If you could use a 4 space to build a 3 tower, you'd expect it to say use as many tower pieces as you like up to the number of the space you placed your buyer on.

But No. Instead they have a small print item on the bottom of the page that says:

"Exception: If there is a buyer on the numbered space for the number for the number of tower piece you would like to build, you may use the next higher empty builder space"

RAGE >< This sort of writing leads to massive arguments in game that involve pointing at the rule again and again before somebody stumbles across the "exception" rule which is not even really in the same paragraph as the rule it is exception too.

At the same time, it's a great game, it's just this one rule that inspires violence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

After reading the rulebook for MiniMonFa (MiniMonsterFantasy), you will apologize to the poor mistreated rulebook and be grateful it was as well-written as it was.

I win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?! That was what triggered your rage?! First, the rule as written is perfectly fine. Second, your proposed alternative writing does not mean the same thing. By your suggestion, a player could take any spot and build how many pieces he wanted, up to the limit. That's not what the rules say. You can only choose the next higher spot if the spot you need is already taken. That prevents players from blocking building spots as a strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.