Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Fat Tony
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auto Racing Fans,
I have a spreadsheet used to generate the starting grid. For the 1978 and 1986 race cards I have accumulated 12 Qualifying Laps (Q-Laps) for each driver. These have been entered into the spreadsheet as a dice chart. The Race Commissioner rolls dice three times to determine which Q-Laps will be used for the current race. The three rolls are entered into the spreadsheet and the formulas then give the starting grid positions for all 33 drivers. I have the worksheets complete for 1978 and 1986. If you have recorded Q-Laps for the other years I will enter them into the currently empty worksheets for those years. I will then send the Excel workbook to you.

The formulas use the "best of Three" and then "Second best of Three" then the "Ave of Completed" Q-Laps to determine the starting grid. Chances of a tie still existing after 3 criteria is very small. I do not use the "Third of Three" as the last tie breaker because many drivers have DNF in that position.

Also, you can enter the names of up to EIGHT players and my formulas will distribute and assign the 33 drivers to the player's names.

When you mouse over the name of a driver, his/her foto pops up.

In addition. When I get the entire workbook completed I will send the updated and completed workbook to those who contributed.

Send me a bgg mail with your email and I will reply in kind.
Big Fat Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Fat Tony
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently in the spreadsheet there exists "DNF" for Q-Laps where the car was put out of the race. Some drivers have as many as 5 DNF and a few drivers have none.

I was reading how the actual Q-Laps are done at Indy and I am thinking of changing the spreadsheet.

I think I should eliminate the DNFs by acquiring completed laps to replace the DNFs. The Racing Chairman rolls dice four times and the average of the four is used to determine the starting grid. For tie breakers I will use the best of the four, second best, third best.

To sum up what I read about Qualifying at Indy; Each driver goes around the track for a few practice laps, At any time the driver signals the Time Keeper that he wants to begin the Qualifying upon crossing the start/finish line, The Time Keeper records the time to complete the next four laps from that crossing of the start/finish line. The speed is then calculated. I assume the distance used in the calculation is a constant, no matter what path is actually taken around the track.

If my understanding of Qualifying is correct I think that my newest new method for determining the Starting Grid is more consistent with the theme.

comments, correction, ideas are welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Fat Tony
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The spreadsheet works great.

I now have 12 Q-Laps for the 78, 84, 86 card sets. I added some additional features to the workbook. I have one sheet that performs all of the calculations and a second sheet that is a race record form with all of the info filled in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFT,

Have you posted your current spreadsheet?

Skip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.