Popular Tags: [View All]
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that this would be a sure fire strategy even in 2 player games and would probably be easy to slow down or stop in 3+ game. That said, this worked really well in the 2 player game I recently played.

I had a card that allowed me to flip a die to it's opposite side, the card that allows one to move 2 settlements to any area of the planet, 6 total dice by going to the Shipyard thrice, and control of both the Van Vogt Mountains and Bradbury Plateau. The last two gave me advantages in the use of both the Lunar Mine (first die could be any number) and the Colony constructor (Cost is only 2 Lunar Ore instead of 3).

So all of that took some good work but after getting that set up I was able to place a settlement with he Lunar Mine + Colony Constructor combo 3 turns in a row and about every other turn after that which led to a quick shift in the VP ratio and a decisive victory.

With my 6 dice I was easily able to get either doubles that could be manipulated into triples or natural triples each turn and with my extra dice and the Lunar mine ability I was able to get whatever ore I needed to pay to use the Colony Constructor and place my settlement. With so many dice and the powers I had I was ble to spam that strategy turn after turn.

I also moved 2 of my opponents settlements with a discarded card ability so that she lost several VP's and several abilities. My rapid increase in abilities and there rapid loss of them helped speed the strategy along.

I am looking forward to trying to set this up again but am not sure if it can work with consistency.

Either way, i hope that you find this interesting and look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see that you are enjoying the game.

You have already shot yourself down, and much of what you have said is correct. You would not get away with this in a 3-4 player game. A 2 player game is more of an arm wrestle, and if you get left too far behind you don't have a chance to catch up. The tactics you use in 2 player are different since you have to prevent your opponent from running away with it while attempting it yourself.

The other big deal is getting 6 ships. In the Australis sector, 6 ships is a luxury (as well as a declaration of war), and you cannot afford it! It allows you to run the board as you did.

So I am more interested in what your opponent was doing while you were setting all of this up. What you mention takes quite a while to set up and other players should be on the planet and close to winning by the time this tsunami is ready.

One of these months after I recover from my heart attack, I plan to post some strategy guide articles for this game. I am just trying to get more motivated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Redward"I also moved 2 of my opponents settlements with a discarded card ability so that she lost several VP's and several abilities.[/q]

No such card. The discard power on Polarity Device swaps two colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he bought two Polarity Devices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seboss wrote:

You aren't allowed to have two of the same card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Seboss wrote:

You aren't allowed to have two of the same card.

Not at the same time, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
[q="Redward"I also moved 2 of my opponents settlements with a discarded card ability so that she lost several VP's and several abilities.

No such card. The discard power on Polarity Device swaps two colonies.[/q]

I must have misread the Polarity Device...

Thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Kaire
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
I played with a similar setup. On my 2 player game I was second, manged to get 6 dice, a booster pod and a plasma canon. The combo took a bit to establish and the AI (pirate difficutly) had two colonies already up by the time I used the colony constructor for the first time. However, with the canon and the booster pod I was able to use the colony constructor every turn. If the AI had a big die on the lunar mine I would just pay one fuel to remove it and put two or three of mine. That along with the six dice, and the booster pod ended up giving me the win by 10 to 6.

On a second game my son went for the same strategy and destroyed me easily. For now I will be trying to think of a way to counter it. Maybe using plasma canon to deny that sixth die? Im thinking that the stregnth of this may be having a six dice and not the -1 ore bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emundien wrote:
I played with a similar setup. On my 2 player game I was second, manged to get 6 dice, a booster pod and a plasma canon.

....against the iPad version. No dice! The iPad version and the real game are 2 different things! The AI on the tablet version is not that great, and without the Temporal Warper alien tech card, it isn't really Alien Frontiers for me.

Emundien wrote:
For now I will be trying to think of a way to counter it. Maybe using plasma canon to deny that sixth die? Im thinking that the stregnth of this may be having a six dice and not the -1 ore bonus.

You are on your way. See what I said in the post above. Why this "works" is because you have 6 ships. What a Veteran Spaceman would have done is raided you, stolen your Plasma Cannon, and then immediately discarded it and destroyed one of your ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.