Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Would you keep a game you don't like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Mr. B, Redward and several others, we've had an interesting discussion of that makes a game a "keeper" or a "dud". That leads me to ask, why would a person keep a game that they do not like to play?

An easy answer is that the game shelf holds the whole family's games. A title that one person dislikes might be enjoyed by someone else, and thus be kept. But for a single person or a couple, that reason might not come into play. (No pun intended.)

For what reasons would you allow a game to take up space on your shelf when you have no desire to play it ever again?
yuk
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cause its not worth selling. I am not a collector, but I have just enough collector in me to not get rid of games I will prolly never play again.. like Power Grid: The First Sparks and Cargo Noir cause they suck
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now Mansions of Madness is sitting in my shelf and I have very little desire to play it. But to sell it would only get me maybe $30. I feel like the tiles and monsters alone are worth that though, so I am hesitant. I aspire to convert the game into something more Hero-Questy to play with my sons when they are older.

Additionally I have a deluxe copy of Football Fever that I thrifted. The game is a bit too random and fiddly for my tastes, especially since I am not into football. But man, that game is beautiful and the dice are phenomenal! Is what I would get selling it worth losing an heirloom-quality game with twenty-some custom dice?

Both of these games will probably get auctioned before I move this summer, but they will be tough to part with as I really do appreciate the quality of the components. Maybe I'll set really high reserves...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
DrumPhil wrote:
Thanks to Mr. B, Redward and several others, we've had an interesting discussion of that makes a game a "keeper" or a "dud". That leads me to ask, why would a person keep a game that they do not like to play?


Pony Express

It's not a horrible game, but it's one where if I didn't have it and I told people about "yeah, so you flick the dice at the indians across the board", I wouldn't believe me either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Because I can't stand losing 'em.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Thanks to Mr. B, Redward and several others, we've had an interesting discussion of that makes a game a "keeper" or a "dud". That leads me to ask, why would a person keep a game that they do not like to play?

An easy answer is that the game shelf holds the whole family's games. A title that one person dislikes might be enjoyed by someone else, and thus be kept. But for a single person or a couple, that reason might not come into play. (No pun intended.)

For what reasons would you allow a game to take up space on your shelf when you have no desire to play it ever again?
yuk


Hey thanks for the compliment, it is much appreciated!

I have kept several games around that I hope to never play because my wife won't let me lose them until we replace them with games that fill a similar niche.

Right now they are: San Juan and Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game. I may play them with her again just out of niceness but they don't do it for me at all no matter how much i want them to.

I also keep Catan and Carcassonne around even though I don't care for them much anymore. They are classics and I think it would be a shame to get rid of them. I guess that is the collector in me.

I am also stuck with Othello and Creature Clash! Card Game because no one seems to want them no matter how far I have lowered their pricing.

So for me it boils down to one of three possibilities: 1. my wife wants it to stick around, 2. I want to keep it for my "collection" (this is rare but happens), or 3. No one else wants them either and I refuse to throw them out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because one day, I might invite someone over to our game night and I'll need Pony-themed medium-weight 5-player tile-placement party game with singing and secret deployment, and I'll be embarrassed that I don't have one available.
16 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is on a subject area I like/collect especially if there is a unique take/rule on a particular topic.

Not worth the time and trouble to get rid of.

I haven't run out of storage space (yet again, sigh).

I seem to be running out of excuses.........
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ward
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President has not been offloaded yet for fear of a friend getting all butt-hurt about me not liking it or giving it another chance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hoffman-Aho
United States
Pine Grove Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, for me it's mostly collector-ism with a dash of "too good for the trash" and a hint of laziness.

For instance, we own Pueblo, and I love the tetris-y, manly-art-of-car-packing shape-fitting idea, but the wife loathes it and (surprisingly) not many of my gamer friends were into tetris. Naturally, it'll be on our game shelf for evah.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
To the question of would I keep a game I didn't like?

Nope! Hell, I often have gotten rid of games that I still do like.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
For what reasons would you allow a game to take up space on your shelf when you have no desire to play it ever again?
yuk


Because it had "Cthulhu" in it's name (Cthulhu Rising). I got it really cheap when ordering another game but knew I likely wouldn't play it. Sure it had Knizia's name to it as well, but I was never going to play the game and just have it sit on my shelf.

Just recently I decided to list it for a G4GG auction as I couldn't justify the shelf space for a game I had no intention of playing. Now I can say that I won't allow a game to take up space on my shelf - I really don't see a point to it. If I'm not going to play it, why bother?



*EDIT: Grammar police in my head strike again...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have many games I will never play again.

I keep them because they are part of a series I collect, or I have played them many times in the past, but the game is now outdated (sometimes even 'solved'), or I'm specifically interested in the topic.
Or it has such nice and shiny components that the child in me refuses to part from it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The REAL reason because I keep thinking I will eventually get around to fixing it !!!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Because I can't stand losing 'em.


This one. I'm a student and save money to buy games. Maybe I value them soo much and that's why I'm keeping them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, I wouldn't even buy a game I don't like, but sometimes a game just doesn't click even when it should (Fury of Dracula, Chaos in the Old World). I managed to trade off both of them and sell War of the Ring so my answer to the thread title question would: Not if I can get rid of them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Avatar
Because I have a big cellar that can hold about anything I can throw at it and that's a lot simpler than selling the stuff.

Also, as someone noted before, out of the blue, some guests might turn up that can't be satisfied with a good game, so better have some really bad ones around.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
...some guests might turn up that can't be satisfied with a good game, so better have some really bad ones around.


That's a valid point. That's why I have a whole seperate shelf of Milton Bradley, Parker Bros & miscellaneous "family"-type games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep my collection trim; every game of monopoly in my collection is an invitation to someone I want to play games with, to say they want to play monopoly. If it aint there, it's much easier to turn them to a more enjoyable game.

That said, we do have some games in the house that I dont want to play again. They are there because other people want to play them, or because I got them as a present and dont have the heart to get rid of them yet (I'm looking at you, cranium!).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We live in a fairly small apartment, so I routinely get rid of games I am sure that I or my wife will never play again. Quality over quantity is how I try to keep my collection.

I am fortunate that I don't always need to take the eBay route, either; there is a store very close by that gives me good trade value on used games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am keeping Merchants and Marauders and I don't really like it yet. I'd have to rate it below 6 probably. Maybe at 5 or 4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Selling used games here in Iceland is at best depressing, and at worst not possible. If I've played a game once, it's still in mint condition, so I'll try to get maybe 70% of the cost back, but most people are expecting to pay maybe 25-50% of what the game costs at the store, and accuse me of price gouging if I don't capitulate.

I'd love to be able to sell all the games I don't like, as I don't have a lot of closet space. (Damn you Tom Cruise)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would probably give them to a friend or relative if they're interested. Selling is not an option for me either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Until I get the games collector microbadge I'm holding on to all my games.

About the only game in my collection I really don't like is Munchkin. But it's such a cheap game it is hardly worth the effort to get rid of it. I'd probably have to pay more for shipping than I'd get back for the game...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
Selling used games here in Iceland is at best depressing, and at worst not possible. If I've played a game once, it's still in mint condition, so I'll try to get maybe 70% of the cost back, but most people are expecting to pay maybe 25-50% of what the game costs at the store, and accuse me of price gouging if I don't capitulate.

I'd love to be able to sell all the games I don't like, as I don't have a lot of closet space. (Damn you Tom Cruise)


If Tom Cruise is the reason for your lack of closet space, why not take him out of the closet and tell him to stand somewhere else? More space for games, then.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.