justin cooper
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
My wife and I LOVE games! Our collection isnt huge, but we love what we have. So here is what we have and love playing:
Catan
Stone Age
Pandemic
Dominion (we have base, intrigue, seaside)
Puerto Rico
Pirate's Cove
7 Wonders
Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912

We want to expand, not a crap load, but we would love to add a few extra games. We really enjoy just about anything, and Puerto Rico is probably our favorite, followed closely by 7 WOnders, Dominion, Stone Age and TTR. Yeah, its so hard to narrow down a favorite. Anyways, we just want games that we can play, and while we love 2 player, we understand that it slightly hinders our choices-so we are fine playing two player variants (we do that with stone age, 7 Wonders and Puerto Rico and while its not the same, its still a ton of fun for us). I don't think we would enjoy miniatures that much, but we haven't explored any war type games whatsoever yet, so here are some thoughts I have about possible games. Advice, comments and obviously recommendations are wanted and welcome!

Memoir 44
Battle Line
Carson City
Small World (Played it once and loved it)
Race For the Galaxy
TTR Switzerland/India
Agricola? (this one scares me because it is so intense and has so many cards and options!
Survival Escape from Atlantis (I am confused about this game, is it still in print because all the copies say like 1980something on them?)
Flash point
Kingsburg

That is the majority of them. Maybe Citadels as well. We wouldnt spend more than about $100 total, we charge the snot out of our credit card specifically to get amazon points and pretty much use it like a debit card. I love working the system! So I also have a birthday coming up as well so that should get me about $50 extra as well. I know that Memoir 44 and Battle line are 2 player which excites me, and I love battling-and my wife loves battling on Pirates Cove, but would we love the war mechanic of Memoir 44?

Thanks friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some that my wife and I really like. (We also love Puerto Rico as a 2-player game... so much so that we bought the really nice special edition.)

Macao
Florenza
A Castle for All Seasons
Navegador

Like you, we also put off Agricola (and even more so, Through the Ages)... but both those games run really smoothly once you "get it". Sure, that can take a pretty good investment of effort, but both those games are really great once you can settle in to just playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of Agricola or Carson City, I'd recommend Caylus. It's less intimidating than Agricola and plays very smooth once you get it. The replayability is almost endless as there are so many options in it. It's also excellent with 2 players.

Another instant hit for me and my girlfriend was The Castles of Burgundy. Learning it from the rules can be a bit exhausting at first, but it's actually simpler than it seems at first sight.

For some lighter games that don't need 1.5 or 2 hours, check out Kingdom Builder or Thurn and Taxis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have recently purchased Battle Line after reading about the other game Reiner Knizia did Schotten-Totten. I can say that we both thoroughly enjoy it. Dead easy and quick to set up and plays in about 20-30 minutes. It's basically 3 card Brag using poker scores (runs, flushes, running flushes, 3 of a kind etc) but you play NINE hands at the same time. There are lots of strategic decisions to make so it's not that easy to master but really easy to learn. Oh, and there's Tactics cards too that come into play if you so wish.

Memoir 44 I love. I play online and haven't bought the game itself. The reason for this is, it takes a long time to set everything up whereas the online version is set up for you. You can play loads of scenarios whereas you would have to buy them as extensions if you had the physical game. Finally it's free to play online (until your 50 Gold Ingots run out) then it's only £6.50 for another 200 GI which is a bargain. If you had two PCs at home you can play each other too! Here's the link.
http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/

Hope this helps?

Also consider Forbidden Island (the baby version of Pandemic). We love this game, we find it can be really exciting and tense near the end. Really easy to learn and play plus you have the benefit of playing 4-6 players in case friends/family are round.

PS I have just taken delivery of Flash Point, I have high expectations for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off how do you play Pirates Cove with 2 and what is the fun factor like? I am wondering about trading Merchants and Marauders for it because it might fit us better. I'd have to add money or games though I guess.

Memoir 44--Light and luck filled. Most will direct you to other Command and Colors games. Not me. Army men are fun to play with. Solid. This game should have tighter gameplay and less luck though, but I don't have any other games of this type. People already comfortable with War Games or the adventurous might want to take a look at marcowargamer's new hot pick Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles. He seems awfully excited about it and he seems to know his stuff.

Battle Line--Nice head to head 2 player poker hand type of game.

TTR Switzerland/India--Have TTR: Nordic. Light. Fun sometimes.

Agricola? (this one scares me because it is so intense and has so many cards and options!--Dry. Complex but nothing to be scared of. Sort of fun. Simulation like. Do you like Sim City? If so good. Add it when you want Sim Farm to feel like a Sim City game.

Survival Escape from Atlantis (I am confused about this game, is it still in print because all the copies say like 1980something on them?)--Yes it is in print. Do you like your boardgames to do things to you that you have little control over or do you like to make things happen with that thinker you have up there. I like my thinker. The screwage is fun sometimes. Honestly though is screwage fun when you only can claim 25% or less of the credit? It is when you are a kid I guess.

Our Joint Top 7 List In Order (We play light games)
1. Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries 6 pts (her favorite)
2. Finca 6 pts
3. Arena Roma II 7 pts
4. Memoir 44 8 pts
5. Dominion 11 pts
6. Innovation 12 pts (my favorite)
7. Odin's Ravens 15 pts

We haven't tried our heavier games such as Castles of Burgundy and Macao. Our other games: Kingdom Builder, Takenoko, Jaipur, Jambo, At the Gates of Loyang, Pillars of the Earth Builders Duel, Glory to Rome, and Pocket Rockets still taunt us also.

Stone Age: Style is the Goal, Abaddon, and Biblios seem to be stuck in traffic for the time being.

The Ares Project, Friday and Hanging Gardens are being held up in the car with them.

I know I know. I'm stopping. I have arrived at my destination and it is filled with fun board games that I bought really quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44, good game but it takes a while to set things up. So that makes it one of our lesser played games.

Battle Line is a GREAT wife/husband game. I recommend it.
Rivals for Catan, a GREAT 2 player game which can last quite a while, very affordable and pretty artwork.
Haggis - nice fast, excellent!
Omen - Reign of War: smooth, so comfortable to play IMHO, its fast and beautiful. Awesome card combo galore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Finca
thumbsup The Castles of Burgundy
thumbsup Battle Line
thumbsup Innovation

I would also suggest...
Drum Roll
Glen More
Patrician
Quarriors!
Walnut Grove

...and you may want to look at
Gryphon Games bookshelf series
Gryphon Two-Player Games series
Kosmos two-player series

And for a game with a unique mechanic that is always a hit when I bring it to the table...
Mord im Arosa

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you enjoy Dominion and Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy seems like a pretty natural fit. You take some of the variable role mechanics from Puerto Rico, and put it into a card based format. My wife and I play this one often, and it plays really nicely for two people. The down side you'll sometimes hear is that the game needs the expansions to really shine, but we only have the base and haven't noticed that.

Something else to consider, I've personally found that Small World with just two people can get stale kind of quickly.

Edit: Also, if you'd like something a little more filler-ish, Citadels is good for two as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burg is great. +5 It's a good entry point into a game that has more meat but isn't overwhelming. After playing this you mind find you are craving heavier Euros.

Elder Sign - The wife and I like this game. It's a coop, but you mostly do your own thing though there are ways to help each other and some discussion that can happen. I don't like yahtzee but I like this game. Can't explain it.

I like Flashpoint and you need a coop so I give this +1 but I give Defenders of the Realm +3. Defenders is better but also longer and more epic so it may not fit your bill. Flashpoint is solid though.

I'd also consider Pastishe. It's a solid medium light type Euro game with a good theme and A+ components. It's the most requested by the wife and I like it quite a lot too.

Quarriors is a really nice game that plays pretty well with 2. It's short. 20 min game most of the time. The expansion makes the game even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.