Subject: Head 2 head with the wife games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've just come across Summoner Wars which looks really good and has had some great reviews.

We love Battle Line, as it's not too long and easy to learn but can be so tricky to master.

Any recommendations for any great (not too long) head 2 head games? I've looked into Dominion and Kingsburg already.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered Innovation. That one. Then buy all of the expansions if you like it. Another expansion is coming out soon and I can't give my money away fast enough to get it.

One of you might be begging the other one to play it, but I'll bet that enough of the time the one that loves it will get to.

I would have owned Summoner Wars and Wiz-War etc... more games like that a long time ago. What stops me are theme aversions. I love fantasy. I'm avoiding darker fantasy artwork that a small segment of evangelical people would not like. I guess I'll take the evangelical label. True, I miss out on some games but those games just won't end up playing well here.

When you pick the faction based on theme you are doing something wrong. You need to be somewhat open to what all of the factions have to offer. If skeletons and demons and the filth (I am not being derogatory it is a faction in SW and probably a very fun one) aren't your thing, like in Heroes of Might and Magic 3, then you are probably not going to get all of what the game has to offer.

Some people say that other than Summoner Wars Master Set, Warhammer Invasion is kind of in the same ballpark of fun. I'm not sure about Omen: A Reign of War or a deckbuilder that has a lot of theme like Ascension Chronicle of the Godslayer. I've heard of those.

I like Arena Roma II of course and I hear rumors of a reprint maybe next month. It is lighter than Innovation and features more luck than Battle Line. You'd have to wait on it to get to the stores though.

I have Yomi but it feels kind of light (though there are too many rules and exceptions to rules). It is good in its own way though.

Blood Bowl Team Manager has been reviewing well and is said to have replay value.

I would watch youtube "in play" reviews to make up your mind and have her watch them too. Then pick the one that you both like the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lost Cities seems to be a popular choice with couples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line > Lost Cities. (is greater/better than) So no need for Lost Cities.

We love Battle Line too. Based on that, I would recommend.

Haggis
Haggis
and Haggis.

Fast, and fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mace92 wrote:
Lost Cities seems to be a popular choice with couples

I use to play Lost Cities online for a while. Would like something a little more meaty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was going to recommend Lord of The Rings: The Confrontation, then I saw that you already owned it, unrated. Thoughts?

Other than that, for shorter head-to-head games, my wife and I enjoy some abstracts such as Blokus Duo and Hey, That's My Fish! We've also recently been doing 2-player Small World, which is not bad.

For something longer and heavier, probably our favorite is Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two my wife and I play a lot are:

Lost Cities
The City

We also play a lot of Empire Builder and other games in the crayon rails family, but they typically take us about 90 minutes, so don't quite fall into the same category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens
Caesar & Cleopatra
Kahuna
Balloon Cup
Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War
Neuroshima Hex!
Summoner Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is very good very competitive game. My wife loves it.

Odin's Ravens is much simpler, but takes shorter time to play, and is extremely head to head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rivals for Catan using the Era of Turmoil theme is extremely head to head. It's not a battle theme, but you use cards to handicap your opponents principality while building defenses against the same attacks in yours. Can (and will) get vicious.

I know what you're thinking: Why should I buy a game that only one theme is about Head 2 Head? Well, it's 15 bucks and comes with 4 different ways to play (on top of the introductory version). If you only use one (and I can't see anyone doing so), you still spent 15 bucks for a head 2 head game!

Here's the designers blog post about Era of Turmoil

http://blog.catan.com/2010/08/card-game-reform-2010-part-7/

Quote:
If you have built a Hedge Tavern, you can put Traitors, Archers, and Arsonists onto your opponent. This means that in the Theme Game with this set, the players’ life is a little harder than in the “The Era of Gold” Theme Set I introduced in my last blog post. And if you have the strength advantage, you will often find opportunity to vex your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
I was going to recommend Lord of The Rings: The Confrontation, then I saw that you already owned it, unrated. Thoughts?

Other than that, for shorter head-to-head games, my wife and I enjoy some abstracts such as Blokus Duo and Hey, That's My Fish! We've also recently been doing 2-player Small World, which is not bad.

I own it but haven't played it. It was given to us from a friend who bought it still in its wrapper from a Charity shop.

We have blokus and the wife plays the online version. I have Hey, that's my fish on my iPhone.

Have been playing Revolver recently and love the look and feel of it, but it just doesn't 'work' for us. Wouldn't mind finding something similar that 'works'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mofman wrote:
Elendil wrote:

I own it but haven't played it. It was given to us from a friend who bought it still in its wrapper from a Charity shop.

We have blokus and the wife plays the online version. I have Hey, that's my fish on my iPhone.

Have been playing Revolver recently and love the look and feel of it, but it just doesn't 'work' for us. Wouldn't mind finding something similar that 'works'.

There's my recommendation, then. Save your money; try what you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jambo is well worth looking at. My wife and I have been playing it for years. For us it was better than Lost Cites and Odin's Ravens, which is a shame because I like the latter a great deal.

My daughter and I play GOSU all the time. It's brilliant if you have that sort of mindset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll second Jambo for playing 2-player with "Teh Wife," but avoid the little known expansion like the plague!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arena: Roma II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Lewis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and and my wife love playing Blood Bowl Team Manager

All our game have been really close and can play upto 4 player aswell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first recommendation: Jaipur

I also agree with Citadels as a fun game....also works for big groups (I haven't tried 2P)

I'm looking to give Jambo a try myself. If anyone has add'l comments about Jambo, it would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games at our house are 2-player, head 2 head. Some of the frequently recommended games have fallen flat with us, like: Arena Roma II, Traders of Carthage, Haggis, Carc: The Castle. Not sure what is wrong with us!

Our favorites are:
Innovation (however, it got too confrontational and we had to put it aside for a while...meaning that my husband got mad that he couldn't win this)
Kingsburg with Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm Get this!!!
Carcassonne
Glory to Rome
Citadels
Thurn and Taxis
Thebes
Wyatt Earp
Glen More

You already ownn a couple of our favorites: Agricola and Jambo. We just got Jambo for our last vacation game, my husband's pick. I was unsure about it at first, but it is getting a lot of time here. We did go ahead and get both of the Jambo expansions and are glad we did, though we have not tried out every combo yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Wilson

Almonte
Ontario
msg tools
Biblios

Easy to learn and fun with wife. Also like Samurai for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
draco143 wrote:
I'll second Jambo for playing 2-player with "Teh Wife," but avoid the little known expansion like the plague!

It is a good game. Of course i should of said we have that already. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well thanks for all the comments, I have narrowed it down to this short list:

Summoner Wars
Arena: Roma II
Kingsburg
Jaipur
Citadels
and maybe
GOSU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Innovation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the games have been mentioned already, but look at the Kosmos two-player series. Nothing but 2-player head-to-head.

A couple of others that haven't been mentioned are Dragonheart and Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - check them out.

Your original thought of Summoner Wars is an excellent one - a great 2-player game.

There are lots of abstract games that would do the trick: Hive and GIPF Project may work. Regular Chess is another good one.

I haven't played it, but a friend of mine has Babylon. I took a look at the rules last night and it looks like it would work as well.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Biblios
The Downfall of Pompeii
Finca

and we've just been hooked on Santiago de Cuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is all you need. You won't regret picking up that and Jaipur too if you can swing both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.