Subject: For those of you who think it's too hard with 4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game mainly to play it with group of 4 and we all agreed to say that it's one tough of a game when you play it with all 4 COGS.

While I don't mind losing, 2 of my friends were starting to get weary of even trying. Out of the 12-ish games we played, we only won on Emergence Hole (twice) and Roadblocks (once) and we tried the first four scenarii.

It's after playing a few games of Onirim with my wife that I thought of a variant that might give more flexibility when you only have those 2 order cards in hand and wish they offered you something else than rushing a locust with +1 attack dice. The two games have nothing in common beside having a hand management system, but what I found interesting in Onirim, is that you have a shared 'pool' of cards, a set of 3 cards that any of the 2 players can play at any given moment.

Now, I thought 3 cards would be a little too much for Gears, so we first tried with just 2 cards, then with 3. As of now I don't know yet how many cards we will play with next time (we won with 2, and lost with 3). This could be translated theme-wise as a spontaneous pool of actions you can take because of team-working with your brothers in arms. I'm not sure I made myself clear on that, but anyway the idea is that any player at any moment (that means for guarding, or following as well) may play a card in the shared pool by discarding one of his own, discarding 2 cards in total, but only playing the effects of the one taken in the shared pool. After you've played the action on the card, draw a new one to complete the shared pool.

We played two games with this, China Shop and Belly of the Beast and they were both closer games. We won on China Shop by an inch (for the first time) and lost a close battle on Belly of the Beast which was the most tense game we ever played so far.

On top of offering more flexibility, having that shared pool adds a lot more of discussion and tactics since any player can claim them. I will have to try a few more games with it, but I think we won't go back to the normal rules for our future games.

Note that I only tried this with 4 players. If any of you try this, please let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is, I really don't think this game is hard. Maybe I'm more methodical, or maybe I'm just lucky. Sure I don't win every game, but I've never felt like "Ugh, I just can't win!"

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as I said it was either that or losing 2 players from my group (the 2 most casual) and this solution prevented it. I'm pretty sure there are others people in the same situation as us.

Your answer made me believe that you play alone with 4 cogs mostly, maybe that gives you a more global strategic plan where every move you make already has it's following move in your head (uggh, that wasn't clear, was it?) and that makes it a bit easier? I don't know. Anyway, props to you for finding the game balanced with 4 players! Maybe one day when we think the shared pool makes the game too easy, we can ditch it and go back to normal rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the thread i was looking for.

I also would play with 4 players and I know some of them will be quite casual and put off if they get slaughtered.

I was going to ask if you can give each player an extra card, or leave extra ammo lying around or something like that? to make it a bit easier IF you are with a group who think it is a bit tough??

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andy.

The extra card won't change much in the end, because once you're down to 2-3 cards, you will rarely go back to maximum hand-size and that extra card won't matter anymore.

The ammos, I wouldnt do it, you might end up with a game that is just too easy if you get to use overkill attacks over and over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
Tseung Kwan O
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replenishment an extra card is important in COGs' turn.
I've played GoW with my kids. however, using 3 cards for all COGs are too easy for games. I usually give three cards to my 2 kids and I play it as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play solo, I use 3 soldiers.

Belly of the beast is really hard, but I go further and further every time, so maybe I manage to get the right strategy someday. I've played it maybe 10 times now...

When 2 of soldiers are down, I "freeze" game - using only last character and not moving others. -> changed it more interesting at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.