Navegador: Pirates & Diplomats» Forums » Rules

Subject: What are the rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain the rules of this expansion?
I got the 6 cards, but I don't know how to use them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The privilege spot on the rondel now has 4 options to choose from when you take that action.
1) Spend a worker to take a privilege tile as normal.
2) Spend a ship to take a Pirate card and place on the active side.
3) Spend a worker to take a Diplomat card and place on the active side.
4) Flip over one inactive Pirate or Diplomat card.

When you take the market action you can take it as normal, or you can use one Pirate or Diplomat card.
A) If you use a Pirate card, flip it to its inactive side. On top of getting money for selling or producing with your colonies and/or factories, you can also sell using an unbought colony at each location you have a ship (each colony can be used once).
B) If you use a Diplomat card, flip it to its inactive side. Instead of using your own colonies and/or factories, you choose another player and make money off of the market using their colonies and/or factories.

When you take the sailing action, if you explore an area where you lose two ships instead of one, take the marker that shows the double loss.

At the end of the game, for every Pirate card you have, you get one point for every ship you have on the board, and two points for every double loss marker. (You still get one point per ship on the board as in the normal rules, the Pirate cards gets you more points for the same ships).
For every Diplomat card you have, you get one point for each worker. (You still get one point per worker as normal, the Diplomat cards get you more points for the same workers).

They recommend as a variant, or when playing with those new to the expansion, that a player cannot have more than one Pirate and one Diplomat. Otherwise, they kind of act as privilege tokens for ships and worker, and there is no limit to how many you can have (other than the limit of 3 of each being available).

As a variant I just thought of while typing this, you could make one of each card available in each phase, so they are spread out instead of all 6 cards being available from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answer! At the end of the game, you get point for every pirate and diplomat (potentially all 6 cards) card both if they are active or inactive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, active or inactive gets you the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has really reviewed the promo yet (I realize they aren't all that meaty or complex).

Anyone want to weigh on on them? The instructions above give me a pretty good idea of what they do, obviously. Do they change the dynamic or balance that much?

I haven't actually played my copy of Navegador yet, but I think I have a good grasp of the rules, if not the strategy. Should we just play the base game first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with it once so far in a 3 player game. It adds a few more options to the game, but doesn't really change it up too much. One player took a diplomat early on, and kept using my buildings/colonies when the market was in a great position for me, which made him a ton of money and screwed me out of it. And the other player with a bunch of ships got to make some extra money with the pirate card.

I don't see these cards being a dominant strategy, but it's a way to get some extra points. The privileges right now give increase the points for colonies, buildings, navigation tokens, churches, and shipyards. The cards add a way to increase the points for workers and ships. So like I said, a couple extra options open up.

I think for your first few games, you should stick with just the base, basically so you can get used to how the market works without these extra cards mucking things up before you've gotten to play it. Once you get the hang of it, then throw in the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, I think we definitely should learn the basics first.

I would think the ability to use other peoples buildings might be one of the bigger aspects of the cards... the others seem to almost act like regular privileges, just for different items.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle, When playing with the cards did you use the King's Privilege variant as well? It seems like maybe you wouldn't given the already increased scope of the privilege space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
DoomTurtle, When playing with the cards did you use the King's Privilege variant as well? It seems like maybe you wouldn't given the already increased scope of the privilege space?

We used it because the rules never mentioned not to, so we didn't even think about it. But now that I am thinking about it, I would still use it. The cards give you more options to choose from for the privilege space, but won't extend the game any, so you won't necessarily be using the privilege space more than before (in our game, our scores were around the same numbers as usual). And if you choose a card or two, you may use the privilege space more than normal, but that will be to use its non-point action of flipping a card back to its active side.

I don't see these cards as being a dominant strategy, just a way to get a few extra points, but more importantly, especially in the early game, to help get a little bit more money to let you expand quicker.

Edit: After all that, just noticed you were talking about the King's Privilege variant, which I have never tried before. I believe this is where you place the privileges on Goa and must have a ship there to take it for free (no worker cost).

It would definitely add even another choice to make on a space that has a lot to pick from, although it might force some players to use sailing more than they want to, to reach that far on the map. I've played games and seen others that never sail that far, because they rely more on buildings/churches/shipyards, and have no need to sail. So it might punish those players. Hard to say without giving it a whirl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.