Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game last night at MVGA, with very positive response.

Questions regarding the role card "Lobbyist", which I used to great effect.

- It says that "At the start of the Construction Phase, you may move any unclaimed and undeveloped zone tiles to new locations. All normal placement rules apply."

We applied this as follows:
- Since it was in Round 3, all tiles had to be placed in the designated direction. (This wouldn't apply in Round 1, of course.)
- All tiles had to obey rules regarding sidewalk connection.
- Placement of tiles could trigger district scoring for color adjacency.
- Tiles could be moved from anywhere, but in no case could a portion of the city be severed completely.
- Each tile could only be moved once.

It was observed by at least one rival that this was a mite powerful, but not by the player who had "County Supervisor" in Round 1 and reaped many rewards. As he pointed out, many of the role cards were powerful, not a Bad Thing.

Please advise regarding our interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that sounds right. I played a game yesterday where I totally didn't use the Lobbyist to it's fullest potential and I kind of felt ashamed...

Maybe David has some further things to say about your interpretation, but some of the cards are meant to be super powerful - though other cards can play off of each other and everything ends up balancing itself out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Walter...

Looks like you got it all right.

The only thing I would not enforce is your severability clause. If moving a zone tile had the effect of creating two disconnected cities, then that sounds like fun to me. You could just imagine a river running through the city, separating it into two sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Hi Walter...

Looks like you got it all right.

The only thing I would not enforce is your severability clause. If moving a zone tile had the effect of creating two disconnected cities, then that sounds like fun to me. You could just imagine a river running through the city, separating it into two sections.

I think that makes the role too powerful, as there is no other way to unite tiles (other than placing new tiles). Since that might make tiles completely unusable, it seems like a power too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In all the play testing we did, the situation never arose, though I could see now that it might arise.

I do not see a problem however. The island would also be available for expansion as the game proceeds so it might reconnect or even grow substantially on it's own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:

I do not see a problem however. The island would also be available for expansion as the game proceeds so it might reconnect or even grow substantially on it's own.

I'm with Walter. This would not hold true given the fact that he was the lobbyist in the final round (lots of zoning tiles), and other players are limited by the direction in which they are allowed to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not unusual to have some zones that are unplayable, either though card actions or through buildings that are constructed nearby. Perhaps an expansion can address that some how with single-zone-sized buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.