Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All:

The designers themselves note that using the Forage rules makes the game nigh unplayable, since both sides would have to do calculations almost any time a card is played. Unless both players are in a nursing home, with plenty of time on their hands, this is simply too tedious to contemplate.

The Forage rules would fundamentally change the game-- no more traipsing ginormous armies around, skeddadling just before winter attrition.

But it seems to me that the Forage rules are much more realistic, and would encourage the capture of major cities, amongst other things. So my question is: is there some sort of fusion of the Forage/Winter Attrition system that would provide for a realistic simulation, but easy playability.

Garry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm using the forage rules at the moment in only my second game (solitaire). Admittedly solitaire play favours the extra time spent, but that said, the forage rule does make for a more interesting game. Also, the calculations are not that onerous. One quickly gets used to identifying those (few) armies which are oversized and can reduce them accordingly. Other forces are simply ignored.

Like to know what you think of the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello again Garry (from across the Ditch!),

The more I play Spartacus, the more I think the forage rules should be standard. They change the whole scope of the strategy and make for much more realistic considerations, albeit frustrating at times.

For example, in my current game, both Sertorius and Pompey are staring at each other from their respective supply centres, unwilling to attack the other because it would mean heavy attrition. But someone has to blink first (in this case, Sertorius).

I think it adds a great deal of flavour, weighing up the risks of moving away from your supply centres to initiate an attack, or moving to a particular location to afford the best source of supply.

Combined with the winter attrition factor, the forage rule makes for much more reasoning when deciding where your next move will be and where you want to go into winter quarters.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.