Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: "Eclipse Scorer" for Android rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Forrest Wang
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Eclipse Scorer" is the ultimate scorer for the board game: Eclipse. If you are the fan of Eclipse, this scorer will be your favorite companion. Have a look at all screenshots!

Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bgscorer.c...

Features:
- support "score by player" and "score by category";
- keep score history of a list of different Games;
- show the summary of game, including total scores and rank awards;
- choose player from the contacts or input new player;
- support "Email Score";

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a list of reasonings behind the permissions required? I'm interested especially in the "Read Sensitive Log Data", and "Read Contact Data", and "Read Phone State and Identity". Why does a scorer need these permissions?
Is the "Full Internet Access" for ads?

EDIT: I see. "Read Contact Data" is for choosing players from your contacts, that's a novel feature
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody gets sensitive log data. Phone State & Identity is such a common permission to give out that I don't really care about it anymore, and Read Contact Data... eh, I'd rather type in the name (it's not hard) and not have you selling my contact data to the advertisers you're using your Full Internet Access to talk to.

Let's compare the 7 Wonders scoring app:

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL INTERNET ACCESS
Allows the app to create network sockets.

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
VIEW NETWORK STATE
Allows the app to view the state of all networks.

That's it. And in the description, the author,

Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb

clearly states that the Full Internet Access is for displaying ads. Which is fine, I get that. But don't be evil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This app looks good but it needs to have the option of saving to the SD card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So 6 days and no comment... not even "I'll fix that for the next version." Any other aspiring developers out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonal Gu
China
flag msg tools
Here i've listed the permission usage of that app:

READ_CONTACTS: used for selecting the player when you are creating game. (please be noticed: the app will not use your contacts for other purpose)

READ_PHONE_STATE, ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: your IMEI (if it is phone) or your mac address (if it is tab) is used for unique identify in app database.

READ_LOGS, INTERNET: in case of app crash , error logs limited to that app maybe collected for improve our app or help us debugging.

Hope it will be helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonal Gu
China
flag msg tools
Do you mean save the scores to SD card ? we've already provided a feature to send round score or score summaries through mail. please use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonal Gu
China
flag msg tools
InfoCynic wrote:
So 6 days and no comment... not even "I'll fix that for the next version." Any other aspiring developers out there?

Sorry for later feed back , after I publish the app , I'm really busy with some other things cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Nanty
China
SHANGHAI
flag msg tools
The discovery spinning roll should only display 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, etc...
The Monoliths spinning roll should only display 0, 3, 9, 12, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You ought to just input the # of discoveries & monoliths, let the app do the math, like RyanMC's 7W app just has you input the # of each science symbol and does the math.

I'm still not installing this with READ SENSITIVE LOG DATA... if you want to debug the app, do it on your own device(s) or without potentially nasty consequences.

And why do you need to modify the contents of my SD card? Why do you need to know my ID (from phone identity/wifi state)?

I mean, I'm comparing this directly to a very similar app (see above) and I still don't see the need for any of these permissions (your explanation for contacts make sense, I just don't WANT that feature because I don't allow apps to get that data... once you have that permission, you (or a malicious hacker) could update your app to a new version that DOES do something evil with that data... there's no way to know what you're doing with it except your word)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.