Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup:

Last Saturday I am hosting the first (of many, hopefully) game days dedicated to the glory of TI3. Six of us total and only half having ever played before and total games among us is probably under six.

It was: Letnev (myself) v. Muuat v. Mentak v. L1Z1X v. Sol v. Jol-nar

I was stoked beyond belief and went all out planning and prepping for this - here's what I did and what options we're going with:

1. Emailed everyone 2 random race bios (no stats) to choose from
2. Settled on the following Strat cards:

Initiative
Diplomacy 2
Political
Logistics
Trade 2
Warfare
Tech 2
Imperial 2

3. These options:
VARIENTS WE'RE USING:
-Age of Empires
-Shattered Empires objectives
-Pre-Set Map
-Custodians of Mecatol Rex
-Racial Technologies (I think folks forgot these, no one used)
-Artifacts
-Facilities (no one built one, as I announced would be the case at the start)
-Shock Troops
-Wormhole Nexus

VARIENTS WE'RE NOT USING:
-Distant Suns
-Leaders
-Space Mines
-Simulated Early Turns
-Sabotage Runs
-Voice of the Counsel

Game started off with the Mentak next to me shooting 2 cruisers to the 3 planet system close to my home world. This was a grave offense as I expected folks to colonize what was closest to them first. Now, this is my best frined since kindergarden and was the most stoked other than me to play. I immediately vowed war on him, but couldnt risk my fleet turn one b/c he had the pre combat shots. [found out at the very end that his secret was to get 2 systems adjacent to home worlds, so it all finally made sense] So he allies with the L1Z1X next to him. Ugh. To my other side was the Muuat (my brother) who 2nd turn invade successfully a planet of mine after I thought we were cool. GEEZ! Retake that over in turn 3. Meanwhile the L1Z1X fleet is huge and moving center. Muuat's not doing anything really. Sol (next to Muuat) advanced as did Jol-Nar (between Sol and L1Z1X) who was banking that tech and quietly putting a lot of stock into PDS's.

Next great calamity came when Jol Nar has the second artifact around Mecatol and I pounce (having a new alliance with my friend Mentak that I'd aid him against L1Z1X after I wiped out Jol-Nar's new space dock and had an agreement with my brother who was moving towards Sol anyway). Jol-Nar is shocked because at this point, I am the only person to be involved in EVERY combat we've had (Mentak then Muuat, now Jol Nar) and figured I was over extending myself. But I had just built a space dock near Mecatol and felt I could reinforce enough. I did a great job taking out his fleet, but not out of the woods, as he had a nearby war sun that I'd have to face next round. Plus, I first sounded the alarm that Jol Nar had 4 VP with everyone else at 1 or 2. He was the one to beat!

And then it happend. That damned law. Sol thought "it'd be fun for S&Gs" to bring up this law to a vote. And honestly, I was distracted or something, because I did NOT fully grasp the extent to which this law would screw me. It was the one where if it passes, all planets switch their resource/influence values. Sol is for, Jol Nar is for, L1Z1X is tepid, but votes for and that decided it with the rest of us against. It was a 9 resource decline for me that I know I could have avoided if I'd lobbied/bribed L1Z1X harder, but alas. Damage done. There would be no replacement fleet.

Then with Jol Nar looking to wipe me out of Mecatol's surrounding systems, the epic battle ensued with many action cards and heroics where I almost won, but sadly left him with a lone, wounded war sun. THEN! Mecatol (who delights in delivering surprise screw overs), materializes a ghost ship destroyer with an action card into the wormhole nexus, swoops in and destoys the war sun with his precombat shot! The battle and ensuing maneuvour was THE game moment.

So long story short, I'd screwed myself and so was a non factor the rest of the game. L1Z1X finally got into combat with Mentak, Muuat fought Sol (who had been neutered by PDSs trying to get a foothold near Mecatol against Jol Nar).

Last turn of the game, L1Z1X *finally* attacked Jol Nar (which I'd been lobbying for ALL GAME to thwart the obvious leader with the bord the only one to challenge), but it was not enough - we ruled that as Jol Nar got the 3rd artifact that it was a mid round win, which everyone was kinda cool with anyway. Muuat was super bummed because he'd meant to take Warfare last round (he was first pick), but picked Imperial2 in order to hail mary his secret which was master of the wormholes. Crestfallen, it had a ripple effect: Jol Nar would certainly have picked Imperial 2 then instead of Diplomacy 2 which I could have lobbied L1Z1X and Mentak not to take and held on to the planet I still controlled with an artifact surrounded by a Jol Nar fleet. Alas. Jol Nar won and I came in second. Had the round ended though, L1Z1X would've shot past me.

Amazing game and definitely doing it again. There were TONS of jokes and yelling. So much backstabbing, but never spite. This is for sure my favorite game and I'm already working on another game day. This time I think we're going to just do straight SE strat cards and I think I'll like that even better.

Game took around 10 hours with plenty of talk time, but we did institute the "ON DECK" method of figuring out whose turn it was and letting the next person know they should start thinking. Worked well enough without getting draconian.

Whew. I must play this again before we forget all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you regularly get to play with 6, you might well enjoy Rex: Final Days of an Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Jeda
msg tools
How did a destroyer attack a War Sun with a precombat fire? I thought it was only against fighters? Unless there is a tech, I am forgetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leoj wrote:
How did a destroyer attack a War Sun with a precombat fire? I thought it was only against fighters? Unless there is a tech, I am forgetting.

Mentak's racial ability is 2 destroyers/cruisers get a pre-combat shot. Taking out 12 resources with a free ship must have been very satisfying, to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If TI3 becomes a regular thing, then might I recommend a houserule my group (or former group at this point) always enjoyed? We used to deal out two secret objectives with the requirement that only one could be fulfilled.
Sounds like a fun session. That is even worse than any other law stories I've heard, and I've been dicked over by bad laws in the past. I tend to have a healthy respect for political cards and try to keep planets open to contend with voting just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j0frenzy wrote:
If TI3 becomes a regular thing, then might I recommend a houserule my group (or former group at this point) always enjoyed? We used to deal out two secret objectives with the requirement that only one could be fulfilled.
Sounds like a fun session. That is even worse than any other law stories I've heard, and I've been dicked over by bad laws in the past. I tend to have a healthy respect for political cards and try to keep planets open to contend with voting just in case.

Yeah! Didnt mention it, but we did a "draw 2, pick 1" for the secret objectives at the start. Don't know why you wouldnt play that way. They're all rather tough (as they should be), but sometimes one could be downright impossible for a given race/set up.

In any event, as you'd expect with my resources so high at the point of the vote, I had rather few influence total let alone unexhausted to make much of a difference. Live and learn in galactic conquest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Jeda
msg tools
I also like to play with the Preliminary Objectives if you have them. It gives people an early game goal and lets them get easy victory points. Helps make for speedier games.

I have also seen the prelims given out like Public Objs however with the stipulation that you can only complete 1 and if someone else completes one, you can't complete the same one.

This way everyone knows what they are and you have to rush to secure the "easier" ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great law. In one of our games, we really screwed one of the other players, and no amount oflobbying on his part was going to stop us from doing it. It sent him from serious contention to third or fourth, and he never challenged again. Great times!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
With expansion cards, the max influence to be spent in any round is 9, excluding spend influence objectives. It ruins the Production Capacity of L1z1x and Letnev HSs, as well as Abyz/Fria, making it take a full 2 rounds to create a new Production center. Considering Assembly is called before Production, it destroys that player's strategy, much like the law that only allows invasion of Mecatol coming up in turn 1.

I also think all players experience a net loss with this law, even those whose HSs improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.