P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the rules on the Wiki before coming over here.
http://decktet.wikidot.com/game:the-curious-case-of-the-disa...

Let me start by saying that this looks neat. It's a deduction game, a bit like a Decktet-Clue mashup but without just being The Merchant suffered the Calamity in the Forest.

One question about the rules: Does declaring the missing card take up your whole turn, or can you interrogate your fellows and then guess?

And a more general question: Why doesn't this game use the Crowns? I realize that Crowns are different, in that they have just one suit each, but I don't have an intuition as to whether adding Crowns would make the game too hard or too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Meertens
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliment . Although I have never heard about "The Merchant suffered the Calamity in the Forest."

I was hoping that everything would be clear in the rules, but alas... On your turn you can interrogate, declare the missing card or first interrogate and then declare the missing card. That's why I wrote "On your turn, whenever you think you have solved the case..." You see, I really like deduction games, but I always find it frustrating that you have to wait for some kind of condition to be met (mainly: you have to be in a specific room) before you can declare the correct answer. That's why in my game, after interrogating, you are allowed to announce the missing card.

About your question regarding the crowns: I wanted the cards in play to be more or less the same. Now each card has a rank, two suits and a type (apart from two cards). Crowns only have three characteristics. When you ask about two characteristics, you only get half an answer when it comes down to the information on the cards. That's what makes it enigmatic (see intro) and fun in my opinion.
You could add the crowns. And I think my first intuition would be that this could make it easier when it's a crown. But on the other hand: adding the crowns, means more cards, which results in a more difficult game. I don't know... I'm not going to stop you from trying to play with the crowns If you do, please let us know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlebrothertimmy wrote:
I have never heard about "The Merchant suffered the Calamity in the Forest."

It is just the kind of accusation you'd end up making if you played Clue with the Decktet and were trying to determine the secret personality, event, and location. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.