Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright guys, I did a search and came across a couple threads in which people seem to think that a Hero CAN attack or defend twice with Unexpected Courage.

Really, I hope this is the case!

BUT, when you look at the sequence of play, it goes:

- Deal 1 shadow card to each enemy.
- Player actions.
- Player resolves attacks made by enemies against him.
- Player declares and resolves attacks against his enemies.
- Player actions.

So, to me, that looks like Unexpected Courage, which IS played as an action, can only be played BEFORE attacks made by enemies and AFTER attacks made by players.

In other words, there is no window in which to play actions during the actual attacking and defending, so why is it that people seem to think you CAN attack or defend twice with this card?

Basically, I want to be proven wrong here. I would really like Unexpected Courage to work that way, but looking at the rules I just don't see how it does. I even checked the FAQ and Errata (admittedly a quick scan) but I didn't see anything there either...

Can somebody confirm this is how Unexpected Courage is played and maybe provide a rules section I've missed? I'm new to the game, so likely wrong about this, but to me I just don't see how you can attack or defend twice when there doesn't appear to be an opportunity to exhaust Unexpected courage in the middle of resolving attacks or defending...

Thanks in advance to anybody that can clear this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the Turn Sequence chart again. There is a small key at the top that says:

*Red - Players cannot interrupt with actions. Responses can be played if their conditions are met.
*Green - Any player can take actions generally, or between the game steps stated in the rules.

And the 'players resolve attacks by enemies' and 'players declare attacks against enemies' steps are green.

You can definitely use Unexpected Courage (or many other cards) to let a character attack twice during the same Combat phase by readying a character after an attack. You can not, however, declare more than one attack on each enemy, but other than that you are good.

Attack away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!

Thanks!

I knew I missed something, and you are indeed correct. It was the whole red vs. green thing!

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rule book; page 20, second paragraph under the heading of Attacking Enemies:, last sentence:

A player has the opportunity to declare 1 attack against each enemy with which he is engaged.

From the rule book; page 20, last paragraph under the heading of Attacking Enemies:, second sentence:

Each player can declare an attack (with any number of eligible attackers he controls) against each enemy with which he is engaged once per round.

Both of those make it very clear that you may only attack once per round.

Unexpected Courage allows a character to pull double duty in doing two actions per round. A character can do two of the following per round: quest, defend or attack. A character may not do one of those actions twice however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Rygel wrote:

Unexpected Courage allows a character to pull double duty in doing two actions per round. A character can do two of the following per round: quest, defend or attack. A character may not do one of those actions twice however.

Sure they can. It's impossible to quest twice in the same round, but one character can potentially defend against several attacks (or make several attacks of its own), provided you have the requisite readying effects.

The passages you cited limit the number of attacks that can be declared against any particular enemy; they do not prevent characters from potentially smacking multiple different enemies in the same round.

There's no limit to the number of times a given character can attack or defend within a single round. You just can't declare two attacks against the same enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
There's no limit to the number of times a given character can attack or defend within a single round. You just can't declare two attacks against the same enemy.

That's not entirely true. From the FAQ:

FAQ 1.2 wrote:
(1.11) Limitations on Attacks

When a player is the active attacker during the combat
phase, the game rules grant him the option to declare
1 attack against each enemy with which he is engaged.
If, through card effects such as ranged, a player is able
to declare attacks against enemies with which he is
not engaged, he is still only permitted a single attack
against each of these enemies.

The above section all pertains to you being the active attacker. When you are the active attacker, you may attack each enemy in play only once, but...

FAQ 1.2 (1.11 Cont.) wrote:

Characters are not limited as to how many times they
can participate in attacks against the same enemy,
provided each attack can be legally declared, and the
character is ready and eligible to be declared as an
attacker.

When you are no longer the active attacker, you may take part in another ranged attack on an enemy you attacked while you were the active attacker, provided you have a way to un-exhaust that ranged character to attack again.

At least that's my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question to all the people that believe the rules allow you to attack twice.

How do you use the "ACTION" on Unexpected Courage before the "PLAYER ACTION PHASE" to ready your character and attack again?

Re-read the order of attack. There are no player actions during combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
A quick question to all the people that believe the rules allow you to attack twice.

How do you use the "ACTION" on Unexpected Courage before the "PLAYER ACTION PHASE" to ready your character and attack again?

Re-read the order of attack. There are no player actions during combat.

You're forgetting this sentence:

Rules, pg 20 wrote:
To resolve an attack against an enemy, a player follows these 3 steps, in order. Players may play event cards and take actions at the end of each step.

Use Unexpected Courage after Attack phase Step 3: Determine combat damage and attack again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel, if you check out some of the player aids in the file section, you'll find a lot more detail and clarification on the turn sequence than the rules provide. There's been 800+ rules threads since the rules came out, FAQ updates, any number of official responses from the designer that clarify the original rule set, and you can trust the well-thumbed player aids, and the responses you've had here, to be correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.