Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played HL:CAO quite a bit but when playing Phantom Leader with Vassal recently I have come to second guess something I have always done: returning the event cards I drew for a mission to the deck and reshuffling it. Should I be doing this? I can't actually find anything in the rules that says that I should do it. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After taking a reading of an event card you discard it into an other pile(Discard Pile) and only when all event cards have been discarded is when you then reshuffle the Discard Pile and start selecting cards from this pack again....Am sure someone will confirm this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reshuffle before each mission.

I don't think it makes that much difference anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I believe Mark is correct. That's the way I play it too.

If you reshuffle before each mission, you stand the chance to imbalance the game. Some scenarios include:

d10-1 Search & Rescue Event. If you only shuffle after the event deck is depleted, you will have the possibility to return a MIA pilot to your squadron once a campaign, perhaps twice if a long campaign. If you reshuffle before every mission, you have the chance to draw that card more often over the course of a campaign.

d10-2 Extra VP/XP Events. Same thing here. You have the chance to redraw cards that have given you bonus VP/XP more often if you reshuffle at the start of each mission.

d10-3 Of course the other perspective is that if you reshuffle before starting your next mission, you may never see some cards over the course of a campaign. This may be particularly important over the course of a long campaign when you'll see each card at least once.

As far as what will give the best game experience, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure it's the designer's intent and is in the rulebook that you reshuffle at the end of the deck only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and is in the rulebook that you reshuffle at the end of the deck only.

Could you point me to this?[if possible]

What you are saying (only add drawn cards back to the deck and reshuffle when the event deck is exhausted) is definitely the way Phantom Leader on Vassal has you do things. I'm playing my current North Korea campaign this way.

It does seem that it would make a difference as to how likely you are to see a given card (and to the potential ratio of good to bad events).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for this is on page 6 of rulebook in Campaign Set-Up at bottom of page under Shuffling Card Decks heading, clearly states to shuffle Event cards when no cards remain in deck, same goes for Target Cards...... not after every mission, hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.