Subject: Always the same start ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

Right after playing the first sessions of DotZ (all lost ...) I wanted to change something in order to not only learn from mistakes made but also to enjoy the rescue of Farmingdale.
The original game provides a couple of Optional rules which modify game set up and the game flow. But there are more possibilities.

Here is an overview (the cards shown reflect the parameter settings for my next game to play).
The top left card shows the table to determine the starting time. This time I rolled a "3" resulting in a start time of 0600. As the season for this session is Spring, it is Dawn. See also the top right card (the Clock cards are used to plot the time; time is important as you can imagine ... during night gunfire is hampered and the bad guys are even more fearsome; during winter there might be snow, autumn may witness some fog during daytime and so on).
Back to the left card column.
Foraging (done with 2d6) provides some extra points of ammo or supply (a goody; the card is marked in green).
The next cards provides the option to get one Hero once the VIPs had made it to Farmingdale. Let's hope the VIPs will show up at all ...
The next card determines the number of Event cards to be played. This time the brave defenders are challenged by a maximum of 56 cards (the original game is fixed to 48).
Everybody dislikes the "Brains" cards. They are gone for the moment!
(I simply lost too many games so far ...)
The Research level starts at 2. Nice to see Farmingdale, Area 51 well prepared.
Now a closer look at the right card column.
Right next to the Clock card deck the worst current parameter setting is visible: all Outbreaks happening at Infection level 10+ result in the placement of 2 instead of 1 new Zeds unit. A tough condition! This requires a lot of extra killing ...
The next card offers a choice for the initial number of supply points. Either 7 or roll 2d6. Which option would you use?
Nothing special for the start number of ammo: the usual 1d6.
As I use heroes that can improve during a game session (from level 1 to 8) the following two parameter settings provide the information that each standard progress event allows to draw 2 Progress cards but it takes 16 Progress cards to achieve the next level.
The last card is another big challenge as it allows only 1+2 Heroes at start.

DotZ is a game system that allows endless modifications.
That's part of the fun,

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.