Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I remember once reading here on the 'Geek that BGG does not have 100% positive control of what is advertized, but would like to be made aware when an iffy ad does get through so that they can address it on an individual basis.

Today I was shown an ad from websavingsurveys.info

It's one of those scam ads that informs you that you're a big winner and directs you to enter your email address, etc., you know the drill. On this occasion I was the big Quebec winner.

These are at best manipulative ads trying to get the unwary to reveal something about themselves. At worst, they are scams that manipulate you into $50/month worth of trivial celphone "services," or something similar.

I know that the Canadian government, in conjunction with the CRTC and other agencices, is looking into regulations concerning such type of advertizing that are directed toward adolescents. A common example, is you can win an XBox...

These ads are never for some legitimate product or service. They are manipulative and dishonest because they hide as far and s much as possible what information they're really after.

If other BGG users and BGG agrees, can we filter out these types of ads. They bother me insomuch as BGG is a trusted web site, both intellectually as well as technically via Internet Explorer's security infrastructure. I wouldn't want that to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
In full agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll check it out, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.