Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, let me set the scene from a recent 3-player game.

Germany's Fall 39 attack on Poland has failed. Germany has defaulted on her east front garrison requirement in Fall 1939. Russia can declare war on Germany or any of her garrisoned, inactive minor allies at any time from this point.

In relation to the above situation I have several questions.

1) In Fall 39 Russia wants to declare war on Germany. However, due to her initial setup, no Russian units can reach German territory in East Prussia or Germany itself. Can Russia declare war on a garrisoned Finland, paying 35 BRPs, as such a declaration of war will automatically result in Russia and Germany being at war? (This is the only way that Russia can possibly satisfy the requirements of rule 21 - DoW, in that she can now attrition by virtue of having the Leningrad 2-3 adjacent to a German 3-3 in Finland.)

2) As I understand it, the provisions of Russo-Allied Cooperation (rule 45) apply equally to Russo-Polish coperation. If my assumption is correct, what happens in Poland with respect to 45.5? In 45.5, Russian air is prohibited from basing at western allied bases. If rule 45 applies to Russian and Poland, does that mean that Russian air units are prohibited from basing in Polish bases? In effect this would restrict Russia to using Russian airbases in Poland if she wished to fly missions against Germany.

I look forward to what others' have to say, particularly in respect of 2) above.

///edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Yes. Based on:

Quote:
21.51 Any nation that declares war on a colony or minor country must, if such action will automatically result in war with a major power, pay 35 BRPs instead of 10 for such declaration.

My understanding is that the Soviets could DoW Finland, but would have to pay 35 BRP's to do so and that would automatically put them at war with Germany (and Italy as well, if Germany and Italy were 'actively' allied at the time). Note, IMHO, Russia would not even have to attack the German garrison unit to fulfill the requirements for the DoW. Occupying any Finnish hex, or attacking any Finnish unit would equally fulfill the requirements and avoid revocation.

2) I would say yes, Russia could not use Polish bases, other than placing a Russian airbase counter. However, I believe this is linked to one's view of what happens with respect to East Europe. My view is that if Russia is at war with Germany prior to occupation of EE, then Eastern Poland remains part of Poland, and is not required for Russia to take EE - and in fact cannot be controlled by Russia (although it can be entered). If one views that differently, then either Russia would have to be able to control Eastern Poland, or they could never gain control of EE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadkenny wrote:
2) I would say yes, Russia could not use Polish bases, other than placing a Russian airbase counter. However, I believe this is linked to one's view of what happens with respect to East Europe. My view is that if Russia is at war with Germany prior to occupation of EE, then Eastern Poland remains part of Poland, and is not required for Russia to take EE - and in fact cannot be controlled by Russia (although it can be entered). If one views that differently, then either Russia would have to be able to control Eastern Poland, or they could never gain control of EE.

I agree. My reading of the DQB in Rule 43.41 is that as long as Russia declares war on Germany (indirectly through its DoW on Finland), Rule 43.41 is in force, making "East Europe" consist solely of the Baltic States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.