Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played a few games now and both times that power and glory has come out in private archive that person wins by a mile. Anyone else find this card to be unbalanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree the card is pretty powerful, the mechanics of the game are great in that they allow you to squash the "leader" by ganging up on them for a few rounds. As long as you're playing with 3 or more players (which I think is the only way to play this game) you have pretty good control on stopping runaway victories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattamd wrote:
While I agree the card is pretty powerful, the mechanics of the game are great in that they allow you to squash the "leader" by ganging up on them for a few rounds. As long as you're playing with 3 or more players (which I think is the only way to play this game) you have pretty good control on stopping runaway victories.

It's a rare thing to see a "gang up on the leader" mechanic lauded, but in this case it's fully justified.

And I agree that the game stinks with only two players. As soon as there's a breach in the defenses, one of the players gets clobbered to no end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
mattamd wrote:

It's a rare thing to see a "gang up on the leader" mechanic lauded, but in this case it's fully justified.

And I agree that the game stinks with only two players. As soon as there's a breach in the defenses, one of the players gets clobbered to no end.

I think it depends on your tastes. I prefer Nightfall as a two-player, as do many of the people I play with. The game seems to go one of two ways:

1) It is nip and tuck with people sneaking wounds in, or trading moderate wound numbers at least.
2) It is cagey and careful with each player looking for that one big unload, which, although very difficult to pull off when two competent players are both trying to wrangle that opening, as you point out, will usually be devastating. In this kind of game the tension is about creating the opening rather than in counting the wound totals at the end of the game (which can be quite disparate).

In either case the guys I play with enjoy the fun, banter and strategy of multiplayer, but most of us prefer the "win entirely on your own merits" of one vs. one, whichever kind of game we get.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.