Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game many many years ago and was highly disappointed with it. As a young man AH was like the best. I really like the theme. Does anyone else like the theme besides me? I would like it very much if someone could design a better game of this theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
I bought this game many many years ago and was highly disappointed with it. As a young man AH was like the best. I really like the theme. Does anyone else like the theme besides me? I would like it very much if someone could design a better game of this theme.

The story about how the game was published is more entertaining: James Dunnigan was in the AH offices bragging that he could design a wargame on any topic and would bet on that. AH VP Tom Shaw said "Get Lost!" which Dunnigan thought was the topic and that was that.

Not quite true--Dunnigan did make the claim. Shaw seriously suggested getting lost in the woods as the topic and promised he'd publish it if ot were acceptable (No word had Dunnigan failed at this task.) And the rest is history.

Outdoor Survival is one of AH best all time sellers:
- Apparently many copies were sold at national park gift shops.
- Many early D&D GM's used the map for generic woodland terrain maps for RPG campaigns.

As for designing a better game on the topic pretty much nails all of the details. But go ahead and design an improvement yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.