Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Purdy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this over on the Yahoo group, but thought I might get more of a response over here.

I've come into Doctor Who rather non-sequentially, and I've started to play the
Doctor Who Solitaire Story game in the same way - mixing in adventures from the
classic series when I feel like it with the core rules. There are two things
that I feel I miss out on.

1) When I create my character my randomized options are always from the one
doctor's list. I thought it might be nice to have an optional "Expanded Starting
Equipment List" and "Expanded TARDIS Equipement List" that covers all of the
expansion.

2) I also miss being able to encounter the Doctor's starting companions in his
various incarnations. I miss out on stumbling across a Young Sarah Jane Smith or
Susan. I'm not sure what kind of solution there would be for this - but I'd love
one!

Has anyone else felt the same?

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen enough of the classic Doctors to really have an opinion in this matter. (But I must thank Simon and Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game for getting me into the series in the first place!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sam.

Maybe possible subjects for inclusion in a future Companions expansion? You could collate the existing starting equipment roll references into a table similar to the Barbarian Prince travel event table (only not so big).

How about designing your own encounter. Check out existing for ideas
You can substitute a exisiting ally encounter for say Sarah Jane and use the standard options for an ally joining you as a companion.

Just two examples.

Leela (ce 048) Says . . .If you wish, you can make a Companion Charisma 8 roll and if you succeed she joins you as a Companion, so gain 2 Luck points. Otherwise she joins you as an Ally. Make a Brains roll (with a +1 bonus) for Lela and if successful then she knows something useful – roll for a Plot event.

Jo Grant ce 033 says . . and immediately becomes your Companion so gain 2 points. If at UNIT HQ (ce36) and the Enemy has not yet been revealed, roll 1D6 (once per Adventure) as an Action for Jo: 1-2: no result; 3-4: e142; 5-6: e149.

Given that SJ has a strong affinity for the Doctor, she would most likely want to join him with the same requirements as Jo Grant, ie no requirement, jumps in with both feet. Next would be some benefits that she would bring as a companion. Maybe a bonus from journalistic skills to uncovering plot details or and a bonus to Bureaucrat roll as she charms and disarms politians with journalist wiles. Make it something that fits her character and will help drive the storyline.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Purdy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought we could knock out a list of appropriate starting equipment from all of the different expansions here. First, so not everyone who wants to chime in needs to look these all up themselves - here are all of the equipment I found across the books. If I missed any, please add!

e181. Radiation Drugs
(Equipment) You discover a pouch containing 1D6 vials that act as drugs to counteract the effects of radiation. Any Character can use a vial to cure a Wound caused by Radiation (Serious Wounds caused by radiation take 2 vials to cure). The drugs have no effect on normal wounds.

e182. TARDIS Key
(Equipment) The key to the TARDIS is a symbol of trust between you and your Companions. Whilst ou have a TARDIS Key you gain +1 to any Charisma roll in making a Character join you as a Companion. If this is successful you lose the key and the Companion gains +1 to Bravery.

e183. Sonic Screwdriver
(Equipment) A handy little device that is always useful in nearly every situation – from picking locks to defusing bombs or scanning alien technology. The sonic screwdriver is your oldest friend - never leave the TARDIS without it! You gain +1 Brawn when fighting against a Machine, the Engineering Trait and +2 to any Escape or Rescue rolls.

e184. Psychic Paper
(Equipment) When someone views this slightly psychic paper, it projects whatever they wish to see onto it. This makes it very useful to avoid unpleasant confrontations. You gain +1 to any Talk options or Charisma rolls when encountering Characters (not Enemies). It may not be used on any Machine or someone with Domination.

e185. Astral Map
(TARDIS Equipment) This amazing device that contains co-ordinates for all the Space/Time events in the universe attaches itself to the Time Rotor inside your TARDIS. It can help you plot your journey through the Time Vortex. Gain a +1 to the roll when you are setting the controls (e001a) of the TARDIS.

e186. Emergency Teleport
(TARDIS Equipment) This is a small and powerful teleport system that allows you to return to your TARDIS or other Time Ship in a haze of red energy. You may automatically Evade any Characters/Enemies you encounter but it will carry only 2 Characters and any others in your group face the encounter alone. Each time you use the system roll 1D6 and on a result of 1, the system burns out instead and is un-repairable.

e187. Mobile Phone Upgrade
(Equipment) A frequent flyer privilege you give to your Companions as with a bit of technical wizardry you can upgrade their mobile phone so that it can send and receive calls from all over the universe! If at a Post Modern Earth (2005-2012) Adventure, you may automatically have a Friend event when you roll for a Character event, or gain +3 when trying to contact a Friend. If at another Adventure location, then once per Adventure your Companion can call their Friend and gain either +2 to Brains or +2 to Bravery for a Turn.

e188. TARDIS Toolkit
(Equipment) The toolkit is a sophisticated box of electronic tools such as Ganymede drivers, Zeus plugs, sonic rams and so on that can help in most technical situations, including making modifications and repairs on the TARDIS. You gain Engineering when inside the TARDIS, and an additional +1 to any TARDIS repair rolls.

e189. Perception Filter
(Equipment) This is a tiny device that allows you to walk unseen – altering the perception of everyone around you. It is built from TARDIS telepathic circuits – roll 1D3 for the number you have scavenged. A Character with a filter gains +2 to any Hide rolls (+3 if you also have a TARDIS key) in an encounter. If not all Characters in your group have a filter, then you cannot use the bonuses unless you separate the Characters.

e190. TARDIS Force-field
(TARDIS Equipment) This powerful force-field will stop the TARDIS from being Damaged by any external forces. Each time it is used however, roll 1D6. On a 6 it is damaged and must be repaired by an Engineering 10 roll.

e191. Personal Force-field
(Equipment) This creates a powerful deflective energy barrier around the wearer. Every time the wearer is wounded, roll 2D6: 2: The force-field is destroyed; 3-5: The blow strikes home as normal; 6+: The blow has no effect. The personal force-field does not protect the wearer from Radiation wounds.

e192. Time Detector
(Equipment) This bulky piece of equipment detects any fluctuations in the temporal field in the local area. If you have any Temporal events, then you gain Tracking and may Investigate (r306d) as an Action in this Adventure.

e194. Medical Kit
(Equipment) Any Character with can use the kit to cure a Character that has a Wound by making a Medicine 6roll. To cure a Seriously Wounded Character you must have Medicine and make a Medicine 9 roll. After each attempt roll 1D6 and on a result of 6 then you have exhausted the medical kit of drugs.

e195. Chameleon Arch
(TARDIS Equipment) This artefact will allow a Time Lord to change species into a Human. At the end of an Adventure, if you are about to lose, do not lose Luck points but roll for a random location to pilot the TARDIS. The Enemy in this new adventure will be the same as the previous one, although the new Goal is now e156. Reduce your Qualities by a total of 10 points and lose all Traits bar 5. See e250 immediately.

e196. Neutrino Catalyser
(Equipment) When you first find this weapon, name an Enemy (non Human) race. Before each round of combat make a Marksman 7 roll to destroy 1 Enemy of that race. After each battle roll 1D6 - on a result of 1-2, the neutrino cell is exhausted. If it is not exhausted, you may make asuccessful Engineering 10 roll to change the alien race targeted.

e197. Sonic Blaster
(Equipment) This is a small, but very powerful digital weapon from the fifty first century. Only a Marksman may use the blaster. It gives the user +2 to Brawn, Demolitions, and maybe destroyed to automatically escape capture.

e198. Telepathic Crystal
(Equipment) This is a strange, glowing crystal that gives Aware and Domination. You may also give the crystal to a Character you encounter with both Aware and Domination to get +3 to a Talk roll. If a Character in your group becomes possessed or controlled then you may use the crystal to free them if they make a successful Bravery roll.

e276. Journal of Impossible Things
(Equipment) A diary of magical adventures, filled with strange drawings of faces from the past and the future; creatures and places from throughout time and space - gain 1D3 Luck points. If you are a Time Lord, roll once on e005.If you have used a Chameleon Arch (e195) then add +2 to the roll to regain a Time Lord persona on a Fob-watch (e250) and all Companions with yougain +1 to their Bravery until your Time Lord persona is restored.

yv01a. Rift Key
(Equipment) This small device harnesses the energy of a Time Rift and is how Demoreans jump through them.If you wire a Rift Key into the TARDIS with an Engineering 10 roll you gain +1 to Setting the Controls (e001b). Alternatively, when rolling on e107 you may roll twice and choose the desired result. You may destroy a Rift Key to cancel any one Temporal Event in an Adventure. If you have a Rift Key you gain a +1DM when Demoreans are the Enemy in the Adventure.

Ce15. 500 Year Diary
(Equipment) The Doctor has kept a diary over the centuries with bits and pieces of information which might prove useful in his journeys through time and space! You gain the History trait. When a non-Human Enemy is revealed, if you (alone) can make a successful Aware 10 roll then either gain a +1DM or +2 Brains for the rest of the Adventure.

Ce16. Recorder
(Equipment) The Doctor often used to play little tunes on his recorder – but not everyone appreciated his musical ability! If you (alone) can make a successful Charisma 9 roll, then gain an extra +1 to any talk options to any nonMachine Characters (not including Enemies).

Ce31. Bessie
(Equipment) Bessie was the sprightly yellow Edwardian roadster acquired by the Doctor during his exile on Earth. Bessie can carry 4 passengers and gives a bonus of +2 to any Move Action. You can also make a single Pilot roll instead of individual Running rolls to evade encounters. Bessie can only be used in Present era Adventures. At the end of an Adventure you may spend 1 Luck point and if you can make an Engineering 8 roll add +1 (cumulative) to any Pilot rolls made in Bessie

ce47. Scarf
(Equipment) The fourth Doctor wouldn‟t go anywhere without his trusty scarf that was given to him by Madame Nostradamus – a witty little knitter. The wearer is not affected by Bad Weather (e079), it adds +1 to a Brains roll overcoming a Puzzle event and at the start of the first combat round it can be used to trip up any opponent with less than 7 Brawn so they cannot enter the combat that round.

ce48. Jelly Babies
(Equipment) These are small, but very tasty sweets that you‟ve always enjoyed. Roll 1D6+2 to see how many you have. Each sweet maybe given to a non-Machine Character(s) you encounter as part of any Talk option. When you use it, you can then roll a second time for that option, and select whichever result you prefer.

ce68. Celery
(Equipment) The fifth Doctor wore a piece of celery on his lapel, not just for decoration but to warn him of gases to which he was allergic. It also had supposedly restorative properties. Once per Adventure you mayignore negative results for any one Character on e265 or any Disease/Danger by spending one Luck point.

ce69. Cricket Ball
(Equipment) The fifth Doctor has an almost unhealthy fixation with the Earth sport cricket, but it does mean he possesses a strong throwing arm. Once per combat you can use the Aim for the Eyepiece combat rule (r316) without needing Marksman (although you may add the Trait if you gain it) to KO any non-Machine Enemy.

ce103. Umbrella
The seventh Doctor was never without his trusty umbrella with its distinctive red question mark handle. You may ignore any effects from e079 and each time you choose to Evade in an encounter, roll 1D6. If the result is 5-6 then add +1 to your Running roll.

Me15. Hallucinogenic Lipstick
(Equipment) Who needs a sonic version? Only a female Character with Charisma can use this equipment. You gain +3 to any Talk roll or +2 to any Escape roll with male Human Characters. You may not turn any of the Characters into Allies as a result of using the lipstick (although you may roll for Plot events) – the Character event just ends.

me32. Vortex manipulator
(Equipment) (Temporal) A primitive form of time travel technology that allows short hops through the Time Vortex. A manipulator is small enough to be carried, usually mounted on a person‟s wrist, and maybe used by any Time Lord, Time Agent, Jack Harkness or River Song, as a TARDIS (e001). If at a Dimensional Adventure, a Time Lord may also set the manipulator to travel back within their own time-stream – reduce the Turn number for that Character by 1D6 and then replay those turns. If you give the manipulator to Jack, River or any Time Agent, if you pay 3 Luck points when you have a Character event then you may replace the listed event for e021, me07 or e032 as appropriate.

me64. Eye-Drives
(Equipment) You discover 1D3 Eye Drives, devices used to remember encounters with the Silence that resemble a silver eye patch but really form a neural link. Whilst a Character wears an Eye Drive they may not lose Aware and gain Computers. If the Silence (mv10) are the Enemy here (or are Minions of Madame Kovarian) then gain a +1DM.

TW8. Torchwood Equipment:

TE1 Life Knife: This evil looking knife gives +2 Brawn. If a Team Member uses it to kill someone they gain Madman. If they gain this Trait again that Team Member leaves Torchwood.

TE2 Brekaren Deep Tissue Scanner: A person using this device gains a +1 to all Medicine rolls.

TE3 Direction Finder: This device gives +1 to Move rolls.

TE4 Hyperspectral Scanner: This device can only be used by Tosh and it gives her +1 to all Science rolls.

TE5 Alien Lockpick: This device gives +1 to all Escape rolls (not +2, it’s not sonic!)

TE6 Data Scanning Device: This device gives +1 to Computer rolls.

TE7 Compact M1911 Handgun: Roll 1D3 for the number of handguns. A gun gives +1 Brawn to a Torchwood Member. Only one gun can be used per member.

TE8 Gizmo: This device will disable any security scanners (e120).

TE9 Contact Lenses: A person who wears these can share whatever they’re viewing by anyone with Computers. The person monitoring the wearer can also send messages to the wearer. In game terms this is like having an extra Team Member. A Team Member can stay at The Hub but directly monitor events and help. Choose a Team Member to wear the contact lenses as long as that person stays conscious and alive another Team Member with Computers who you haven’t picked for your team can still help out. Their Brains can be used in any situations that require it and you can also use their Aware, Bureaucrat and History Traits.

TE10 Resurrection Gauntlet (Left Hand): A powerful alien artefact. The Gauntlet can bring someone
back to life for about a minute if the wearer makes a Bravery roll. In game terms if you kill an Enemy you can bring them back and have them reveal their Goal if you don’t know it. Also if you ever have an e151 Event you can bring the victim back and they tell you what they know (automatically roll for a Plot Event).

TE11 Resurrection Gauntlet (Right Hand): At first the members of Torchwood believed this gauntlet to work just like theleft handed version, but it is far more powerful. This gauntlet will raise a person from the dead and imbue that person with a kind of energy that keeps them ‘alive’ indefinitely. In effect however that person will be a member of the ‘living dead’ so to speak. They can no longer eat, drink, feel pain or age. In game terms if a member of Torchwood is ever killed they can be brought back with the glove. You may only use the glove once, after that it becomes possessed by evil and must be destroyed.The Team Member brought back has many advantages - they become immune to Poison, Domination and any form of possession, in combat they cannot be Stunned. But they can no longer heal their bodies. If they are Wounded or Seriously Wounded, they will always remain that way. Radiation Wounds still affect them as well. Also there is no way of knowing how long the energy keeping them alive will last, at the end of every Adventure roll 2D6 on a roll of 2, it has been depleted and they are permanently dead.

TE12 3D Glasses: These cheap looking plastic 3D glasses are imbued with a peculiar energy signature and give the wearer Aware when they are worn.

TE13 Dalek Enhanced Thompson Guns: These guns (roll 1D3 for number) were collected from New York 1930 amongst the remains of creatures Torchwood designated ‘Dalek’ and humans with Dalek strains of DNA. They give +2 Brawn but after combat roll 1D6 for each gun and on 5-6 the ammo is depleted.

TE14 Ghost Machine: This device can show glimpses of the past. In game terms you may re-roll an Investigation Action once per adventure.

TE15 Huon Particle Perfume: This highly powerful perfume gives a character the Appealing trait. Every time it is used, roll 1D6 and on a roll of 5-6 it has been depleted.

TE16 1941 Smith & Weston Revolver: This has been Captain Jacks well used firearm for decades. When using the gun he is +1 to Brawn and may re-roll any 1D6 result during combat once per Adventure. It has six shots, then needs re-loading (this takes one round in combat)

TE17 SUV: This is Torchwoods main form of transport - a powerful black Land Rover with in-built computers. In game terms this means if you have the S.U.V. you get to re-roll a Computer Research roll once per Adventure and you have +1 to any Move actions. The S.U.V. has ‘Torchwood’ emblazoned on it and flashing blue lightson the windscreen - perfect for any secret organisation.

TE18 Decontamination Sponge: This sponge removes all radiation from a patient. If a Team Member has a Radiation Wound this removes it. Roll 1D6 to see how many times it can be used before it is depleted.

TE19 Laser Saw: This device lets Owen perform operations and autopsies easier. If Owen uses this equipment he gets a +1 on any Medicine rolls.

10: TE20 Anti-Toxin Kit: This kit can remove any Wounds from a person that was caused by Poison. Every time it is used roll 1D6, on a roll of 6 it is depleted and cannot be used again.

11: TE21 Anti-Cyberman Weapons: Although these stocky weapons were designed in a parallel world, some exist in the Torchwood armoury. They give +2 Brawn if fighting a Machine Enemy.

12: TE22 Dogon Sixth Eye: This alien eye can bring a person back from the dead, admittedly as an intangible ‘ghost’. In game terms, if an Ally is killed the eye will bring them back just for the remainder of that Adventure. They also cannot be killed again during that Adventure. They have no corporeal form however, so only their Brains total and the traits Aware, History and Tracking, if they have those, can still be used. After the current Adventure theAlly is permanently killed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Purdy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
e181. Radiation Drug
e182. TARDIS Key
e183. Sonic Screwdriver
e184. Psychic Paper
e185. Astral Map
e186. Emergency Teleport
e187. Mobile Phone Upgrade

e188. TARDIS Toolkit
e189. Perception Filter
e190. TARDIS Force-field
e191. Personal Force-field

e192. Time Detector
e194. Medical Kit
e195. Chameleon Arch
e196. Neutrino Catalyser
e197. Sonic Blaster
e198. Telepathic Crystal
e276. Journal of Impossible Things
yv01a. Rift Key
Ce15. 500 Year Diary
Ce16. Recorder
Ce31. Bessie
ce47. Scarf
ce48. Jelly Babies
ce68. Celery
ce69. Cricket Ball
ce103. Umbrella
Me15. Hallucinogenic Lipstick
me32. Vortex manipulator
me64. Eye-Drives

TW8. Torchwood Equipment:
TE1 Life Knife
TE2 Brekaren Deep Tissue Scanner
TE3 Direction Finder:
TE4 Hyperspectral Scanner:
TE5 Alien Lockpick:
TE6 Data Scanning Device:

TE7 Compact M1911 Handgun:
TE8 Gizmo:
TE9 Contact Lenses:
TE10 Resurrection Gauntlet (Left Hand):
TE11 Resurrection Gauntlet (Right Hand):
TE12 3D Glasses:
TE13 Dalek Enhanced Thompson Guns:
TE14 Ghost Machine:
TE15 Huon Particle Perfume:
TE16 1941 Smith & Weston Revolver:
TE17 SUV:
TE18 Decontamination Sponge:

TE19 Laser Saw:
10: TE20 Anti-Toxin Kit:
11: TE21 Anti-Cyberman Weapons:

12: TE22 Dogon Sixth Eye:

What other ones do you think should be cut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Purdy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my expanded starting equipment list.

Roll 1d3 and then 1d6

1-
1- e182. TARDIS Key
2- e183. Sonic Screwdriver
3- e184. Psychic Paper
4- e189. Perception Filter
5- e192. Time Detector
6- e197. Sonic Blaster

2-
1- e198. Telepathic Crystal
2- Ce15. 500 Year Diary
3- Ce16. Recorder
4- Ce31. Bessie
5- ce47. Scarf
6- ce48. Jelly Babies

3-
1- ce68. Celery
2- ce69. Cricket Ball
3- ce103. Umbrella
4- Me15. Hallucinogenic Lipstick
5- TE12 3D Glasses: 
6- TE14 Ghost Machine: 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P P
msg tools
I'm also supporting the idea for the possibility pf meeting starting companion, using your own incarnation of the doctor. I want to be able to meet say Amy Pond playing with a custom (different from the 11th) Doctor.

Maybe some rules in the upcoming Companion II Expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WandererBG wrote:
I'm also supporting the idea for the possibility pf meeting starting companion, using your own incarnation of the doctor. I want to be able to meet say Amy Pond playing with a custom (different from the 11th) Doctor.

Maybe some rules in the upcoming Companion II Expansion?

Not sure off the top of my head how I could do this - but I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P P
msg tools
The first solution that occurred to me was a table similar to the one in Storylines Expansion but instead of Plot, it will be for Character. So when it's your first character encounter on a roll of 5-6 (or only 6) you meet a companion who is in the era that the current adventure takes place in.

Rose and Amy in one adventure? :0

I'm just throwing ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.