War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for a first try of the Online Client rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All,

I have just downloaded the Online Client and it seems to be working fine on my Macbook - so now all I need is someone to play against! I own the board game and played it a lot a while ago but haven't played it recently due to lack of players, so my memory of the rules may be a bit rusty.

If anyone is prepared to take me on, please post here first to discuss how to arrange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also join the facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/WotRonline/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
Hi All,

I have just downloaded the Online Client and it seems to be working fine on my Macbook - so now all I need is someone to play against! I own the board game and played it a lot a while ago but haven't played it recently due to lack of players, so my memory of the rules may be a bit rusty.

If anyone is prepared to take me on, please post here first to discuss how to arrange.

Hi,

I've had the game for a while (Collector's Edition) and also have downloaded the online client from Veldrin's excellent site, although I have yet to play even one game on either.

Although they have clearly put a lot of effort into creating this portal platform, it seems very cumbersome to navigate (at least to me), especially since the program itself does not 'know' the game rules. Also, having to 'find' people and agree to a particular time, etc., seems very cumbersome. Even in the world championship tournaments it seems 'hooking' up in this manner is still rather tedius.

It would be wonderful if this game could be incorporated into the Brettspielwelt platform (or some other similar client) so that people could not only find players online immediately, but full games and stats could automatically be recorded. It would also be extremely helpful for us newbies to be able to view games in progress.

Another option which might suit this game well is games by email. You make your move and the position is just automatically sent to the opponent for his/her response. Many other games work great in this manner. You can also carry on multiple games at once, which might make a Round Robin final a more suitable option for the world championship tournament.

Anyway, I hope to find some means of 'meeting up' with other WotR players in ANY form! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Veldrin wrote:
You should also join the facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/WotRonline/

Just did. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
bamonson wrote:
It would be wonderful if this game could be incorporated into the Brettspielwelt platform (or some other similar client)..

Have you seen what Days of Wonder have done with Memoir '44? The game is now fully playable online through a downloadable client, with match-making capabilities, an AI for solo play or in case your opponent leaves the game, and even music and sound effects. They charge a nominal fee for use of their server but I'm more than happy to pay it for the ease of hooking up with other players online.

Something like that would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be nice to have, but license restrictions prevent something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico34fr nico34fr
France
flag msg tools
a WOTR game is generaly 2 to 4 hours long so you have to plan it a bit

if you post your time availability 1 day in advance on facebook you should find an opponent on your time zone

i often find opponent even if i post in the afternoon for an evening game so you should have no pb at all
and on week end (friday evening and saturday evening) there are lot's of people ready to play

if you want to, i should be available tonight starting 8PM CET (CET is GMT+2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
nico34fr wrote:
a WOTR game is generaly 2 to 4 hours long so you have to plan it a bit

if you post your time availability 1 day in advance on facebook you should find an opponent on your time zone

i often find opponent even if i post in the afternoon for an evening game so you should have no pb at all
and on week end (friday evening and saturday evening) there are lot's of people ready to play

if you want to, i should be available tonight starting 8PM CET (CET is GMT+2)

Hi. Thanks for the offer of a game. I am new to the online Client so hope you will be able to help me get started. Where do we go from here (i.e. how to link up, exchange IPs or whatever).

By the way - are the companion and minion cards shown anywhere in the Client? My game is at the bottom of a pile of other games and I was rather hoping I could manage just with the downloaded rules.

Thanks.

P.S. - If the game goes beyond 1 AM I may have to call it a day or save the game to continue another time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico34fr nico34fr
France
flag msg tools
just install hamachi, there are numerous networks where wotr players meet each other. I created a network named : nicowtr (pwd: wotr)

so we can just meet on hamachi

companions/minions cards are not in the online client, you should have your real cards in front of you if you don't know them enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
nico34fr wrote:
just install hamachi, there are numerous networks where wotr players meet each other. I created a network named : nicowtr (pwd: wotr)

so we can just meet on hamachi

companions/minions cards are not in the online client, you should have your real cards in front of you if you don't know them enough

Which version of the game are we going to play? I have the first edition game only, plus the expansion. In the past I've played the base game scenario and also one which used the catapults from the expansion. I have downloaded the second edition rules but if there are differences on the companion/minion cards in the 2nd edition I would need to know what they are in order to play that version.

I will get my copy of the game out now to get at the cards in that edition (though will probably start an small avalanche of other games in the process!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Just got all the cards out now. I am on GMT+1 (British Summer Time hours), so by my reckoning we should be able to link up at 7PM my time, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it's passed 7PM now and Hamachi is not finding that network. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or you were expecting me at 6PM, not 7PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico34fr nico34fr
France
flag msg tools
i am there, network name : nicowotr (do a copy/paste) and password wotr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico34fr nico34fr
France
flag msg tools
or jut create one and give name/pwd here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi. I have connected. What do I do now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.