Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Promotion cards - crucial for competetive play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just ordered the master set (I wanted the Guild Dwarves base set but no one have them in stock).
I see there are 3 promotion cards which you get when you order from the maker of the games website (too high shipping cost for me).
If I wanna get competetive is CRUCIAL to have the promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
No, these cards are not crucial for competitive play and will provide you with any definite game winning powers. I've found the basic cards of any faction works just fine for serious matches.

It should be noted, however, that the text on the Thorkur (Guild Dwarves) card was modified and replacement cards were given away from PHG with any SW purchase. This updated version of this card is likely included in newer printings of the GD vs CG set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the promos are really there just because they're cool little guys. The nice thing is - these aren't going out of print. They may run out of one or another from time to time, but Colby's said they'll be kept in rotation. So even if they DID become big time tournament powers, it's not like they'll ever become impossible, and therefore prohibitively expensive, to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might order the two starter sets and a pack for the Guild Dwarves.
What combination of promos should I get, one of each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not left-handed either
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of each is best. If you decide to choose, I would get Khan Queso first and Sairook second, just because of the frequency I've seen them in competitive decks (of course, that's probably just because Khan is the oldest, and existed before people had different options).

Khan offers the most significant difference from other Champs from each of the factions, because he's so much cheaper than some of your other choices, and because he's really easy to use. Sairook is more complicated to use, and he's also kind of limited in the variety of decks he's good in. I've seen him be great in the Deep Dwarves or any faction that wants a little more range, but for the most part he's not better than that faction's other choices.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone use Khexu. I'm not exactly sure why that is. I would guess it's because he's the most expensive of the bunch, and the closest to the 'average' cost of a Champion, which is around 5 for most factions. That means there are more Champions in his price range to compare him to, and most of those have the advantage of not being a Merc (so more synergy with Event Cards like Spirit of the Phoenix or Goblin Invincibility, as well as more local combos they're built around). It's probably also because he was released after a lot of factions have expansion packs and bunches of other Mercs, so people don't look to him as a go-to option like they used to do with Khan Queso.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: no.

In the early days, I may have said yes (and Khan Queso as the choice) for the Vanguards before their reinforcements came out, because Raechel Loveguard is the worst Champion in the game, and subbing her out for a cheaper and better champion is a good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
Short answer: no.

In the early days, I may have said yes (and Khan Queso as the choice) for the Vanguards before their reinforcements came out, because Raechel Loveguard is the worst Champion in the game, and subbing her out for a cheaper and better champion is a good deal.

So it isn't worth the risk of paying 20% more for the two starters just to get the Promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the promos are worth taking in them for the deck building, not power difference or crucial competitive tools. Anyway the not big gap in power between champions/commons and the variance in the game makes this rather irrelevant for competitive play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.