Subject: Is Denethor useless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
or am i a poor strategiest?
we never used him in any quest. i understand that he can defend well, but he only has 3 life points. and regarding his special ability, it seems very poor exhausting him just to see the next encounter card.
can you help me understand in which situations this hero is useful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is one of my favorites, actually, both for his defense and his special ability. It isn't just that you can anticipate what is coming out of the encounter deck, but you can avoid it by putting it at the bottom of the deck. If you have only locations in the staging area and you know that the next card is another location or treachery, you can send all characters besides Denethor questing rather than holding one back to defend.

Also, if you see a treachery card coming that will deal damage to all exhausted characters, you might choose to bury that one or allow it to come out but only quest with (exhaust) selected characters that can handle the damage.

Denethor is really nice in combo with Henmarth Riversong. You can use Denethor first, and then if you choose to bury that encounter card use Henmarth to look at the next card which will come up. Of course, this presumes you have a robust party of characters and can afford to exhaust these guys for their abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwoo wrote:
Is Denethor useless?

Is the Pope Muslim?

He's great if you're playing solo with one deck. His ability is less useful the more players are involved, but he does defend well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denethor is a Lore hero with 3 defense, meaning Burning Brand for a perfect wall against any non-Troll (or special) Enemy won't do anything nor will its Shadow effect. That combo only needs one card, whereas I keep seeing people saying how Bilbo with 2 Dunedain +1 defense, BB, etc. makes a great wall. Of course, I'll never play hobbits, so maybe that's just me, but needing 1 card vs 3-4 cards to make a hero do something specific, like an excellent defender in this case, I'll take the 1-card option. And if you don't need him, you can always use his ability, bottoming out one nasty card is quite possibly one nasty card less you don't have to face (if you don't go through the entire Encounter deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Denethor is a Lore hero with 3 defense, meaning Burning Brand for a perfect wall against any non-Troll (or special) Enemy won't do anything nor will its Shadow effect. That combo only needs one card, whereas I keep seeing people saying how Bilbo with 2 Dunedain +1 defense, BB, etc. makes a great wall. Of course, I'll never play hobbits, so maybe that's just me, but needing 1 card vs 3-4 cards to make a hero do something specific, like an excellent defender in this case, I'll take the 1-card option. And if you don't need him, you can always use his ability, bottoming out one nasty card is quite possibly one nasty card less you don't have to face (if you don't go through the entire Encounter deck).

I like Denethor a lot, for both his defense and ability, but I think this negative comparison with Bilbo is rather unfair. Looking at them both, only as solo characters, both Bilbo and Denethor are very useful defenders with just one card added - burning brand. Bilbo really needs a second card, 1 Dunedain + 1 defense, to be equal to Denethor in this category, but he does not need 2, as you suggest.

Beyond that, depending on the deck you are playing Bilbo's one extra card per turn may be more or less useful than Denethor's ability to spy on the encounter deck, but it is most definitely a more reliable ability, since you do not need to exhaust Bilbo to use it. He can ALWAYS defend and draw. Denethor can only do both with unexpected courage, which means he too needs 2 extra cards to take advantage of both of his abilities.

Finally, Bilbo's threat is less.

/rant.

In answer to the OP - No, Denethor is not useless. He is a great blocker early on and once you get some more allies out his special ability can be very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bilbo's threat is higher.

Anyway, I am not a big fan of either in the game (unlike in the books) but I see the arguments for them. Yes, Denethor is very effective solo and 2 player (where he will more likely defend), with 3 and especially 4 players, he is becoming less so, I feel.

I am really looking forward to seeing a new Lore hero (or two) in this cycle. Hope they are Elves, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I'll never play hobbits

Never say never.

I can see the Hobbits being the hot keyword down the road, once Sam, Merry and Pippin are created.

Of course, that would after Dwarf, Nordor, Rohan and Gondor have been the hot keywords.

Dwarves are big now and Nordor appears to be coming next. So only two more to go after those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really use theme decks, even if my fifth deck that I added is a Dwarf deck (although it could just as well be called Leftover deck, as in lot of the cards that were just collecting dust).

But I don't care what cards they bring for hobbits, I'll never make a hobbit deck. As soon as I got more Spirit cards, Wandering Tooks were out too (Keen-eyed Took was never even in the running to be in a deck), Frodo and Dildo and whoever of their furry-footed buddies come out, hobbits will not see play. Period. Only good hobbit is a dead hobbit, or maybe a Roasted Slowly hobbit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
gromitspaw wrote:
It isn't just that you can anticipate what is coming out of the encounter deck, but you can avoid it by putting it at the bottom of the deck. If you have only locations in the staging area and you know that the next card is another location or treachery, you can send all characters besides Denethor questing rather than holding one back to defend.

Also, if you see a treachery card coming that will deal damage to all exhausted characters, you might choose to bury that one or allow it to come out but only quest with (exhaust) selected characters that can handle the damage.

what you are saying is true for solo play when you only draw 1 card from the encounter deck. if u need to draw 2 cards, i think it's too risky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hancock
Australia
Birkdale
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
Nordor appears to be coming next. So only two more to go after those.

Quick, we must take the ring to Nordor!

And then go and get me some orange sherrberrt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play 4-player, each with single-sphere decks.

Denethor is a powerhouse. He is the primary defender for us.

Denethor + Burning Brand. Then the Leadership deck gives him the Sentinel ability (and/or +1 Defense). Denethor is crucial to helping the Tactics deck handle multiple monsters that appear.

Most notably, things like the Adders that Kill the defender if the defender takes *any* damage. That Defense of 3 is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 to what others have said above re: his 3 Defense and special ability both being quite good.

One thing I think lots of folks fail to grasp at first -- I certainly did -- is just how important it is to keep your starting threat as low as possible. The initial tendency is to fall in love with stats, and to somewhat ignore starting threat, which is trouble waiting to happen against most scenarios. (In fact, I believe that Anduin is designed specifically to teach players this lesson.) This means that a hero like Denethor, with only 8 threat, is virtually always worthy of consideration, whereas a hero like Glorfindel, with 12 threat, is extremely risky, and really can't be played nearly as often as Denethor (at least in solo play).

(For the record, I still like Glorfindel, because while there are some scenarios where he is pretty much unplayable (e.g., Return to Mirkwood), there are others where he is quite good (e.g. Rhosgobel). In fact, I think every hero printed in the Core Set shined in at least one scenario in the Mirkwood cycle, which I think was quite intentional.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thx for the tips
Most insightful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.