Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

which wargames (and with that I mean rather counter games, not necessarily miniature games) use "true" movement rules, that is "move counter X at most by 3.5cm", rather than "move counter X by 2 hexes"? I would prefer WW2 wargames, if any such exist...

I know that Flames of War does, but that is of course a miniature game, not a counter game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest WWII game I can think of is Heroes of Normandie. If you want to play miniatures rules with counters, there are quite a few downloadable free graphics from http://juniorgeneral.org/

One game that was published recently that has free movement is Gettysburg: The Wheatfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger

(no counters, and not WWII, though)

I am not aware of any counter game that would express distance in real distance units as opposed to number of hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

One game that was published recently that has free movement is Gettysburg: The Wheatfield.

I stand corrected.

This game looks very nice !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Hi folks,

which wargames (and with that I mean rather counter games, not necessarily miniature games) use "true" movement rules, that is "move counter X at most by 3.5cm", rather than "move counter X by 2 hexes"? I would prefer WW2 wargames, if any such exist...

I know that Flames of War does, but that is of course a miniature game, not a counter game...

It's sci-fi, but Star Fleet Battle Manual does this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18573/omms-on-map-militar...

But I doubt that it is quite what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All miniatures rulesets can be played with cardboard counters instead of actual miniatures. I do that all the time with DBA and Lasalle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course you can always substitute 'counters' (i.e. flat pieces of cardboard) for 'miniatures', and vice versa. However, any system using 'true movement' would I believe necessarily be more in the line of 'miniatures' rules. Pretty well any 'board(war)game' would regularise movement in some way, whether that is squares, hexes, areas, 'points' etc. Once you do that, you're pretty much left with a movement system that does not qualify as 'true'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, most anything with counters will have a board. Part of the point of a board is to be able to note down reference information, such as a grid to regularize movement and allow you to get rid of such clunky things as rulers.

Car Wars would be one of the few to do what you want. The original set was built around doing more-or-less 'true' movement on a square grid, and then miniatures-style turning keys were developed later.

Deep Space Navigator was a nicely done light SF game using vector movement. No counters or miniatures. It had a template you laid down which told you where you could go from your current vector. You marked the new position (in ink), and drew a line from the new position to the old to show the current vector for next time. At the end you have a sheet of paper that looks like the maps of naval engagements....

Everything else is either a miniatures game, or miniatures variant of a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are looking for the Panzer miniatures rules put out by Lost Battalion Games. They are miniatures rules but you can easily play with counters. Note that these rules are adapted from a hex and counter game series which were adapted from a set of miniatures rules.

All WWII.

Best of three worlds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hills "Bismark"? Which is not in the database?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i thought that the movement system of Torgau by GDW was rather unique although it was hex movement which is not your question. but the movement was somewhat tied in with firing. moving units spend a movement point each time it fires up to 4 times and the defending unit can fire at the attacking units the # of times that the attacker spends movement points in the adjacent hex. so this gives the players more of a sense of real time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been pointed out, there are quite a few games out there where counters imitate miniatures, and vice versa.

You may find Shock Army interesting; it's Spanish Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:

Bismarck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
blockhead wrote:

Bismarck

Ah, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

I'll say it again ... love to see this sort of thing translated to a platoon-company scale WW2 setting. Love, love, love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

DaveyJJ wrote:
I'll say it again ... love to see this sort of thing translated to a platoon-company scale WW2 setting. Love, love, love.

Something like Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge for PC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Something like Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge for PC?

When it hits OSX (and it will), I'm in. That's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jutland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Battles

System 7 (that's a vague memory, didn't look it up to confirm)

Wings of War

Fear God and Dread Nought (and the WW2, pre-dreadnought, and modern games in that series --- miniatures game, but box is full of little cardboard counters for the ships in case you want to play without minis)

By the way, we adapted Squad Leader/Cross of Iron for use with minis without hexes. Just translate the hexes into a certain distance equivalents and use rulers with the counters. In fact, should be able to so this with most other tactical WW2 games. The only hickup we had was translating the effects of certain hexsides such as walls and hedges and figuring out how close the unit had to be to the wall or hedge to gain benefits on defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.