Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very resourceful preview (pardon the pun):
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3178

What do you think? Will this give the power creep argument new fuel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the fact that it's non-unique and neutral.

Now who will the hero be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I'm ok with it. I don't think it's too strong for its cost. (Ziggy can get crazy though.)

The tentacle enemy can be nasty and at the moment it's effect can't be cancelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is more powerful than the resource cards already in print. It does, obviously, make secrecy significantly more viable.

Power creep is inevitable in expanding games. In competitive games, people adjust their decks accordingly. To keep LoTR balanced, we'll need more difficult quests - which we don't seem to be getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is not as powerful as other resource cards CAN be in the best case, it is certainly better than all of them in the worst case. Only one other is not unique (Ziggy). Only one other has no dependencies on other cards being in play or hand (Steward of Gondor). And only one is not tied to a sphere (Radagast). AND it is by far the cheapest to get into play in the best case (secrecy).

I think I would argue that it is the best resource accelerator for a secrecy deck because of the above 4 reasons.

Now in the general case I think it is BY FAR the best resource acceleration to add to a deck WITHOUT building a deck around the resource accelerator once again because of the above reasons. Admittedly, at a cost of 4, it is not a slam dunk as a good play since it takes 4 turns to even pay for itself (that is a long time). But at a minimum, it presents itself as a replacement for songs since it is a way to "transfer" resources from one hero to another (albeit delayed), so unless I am using songs to allow for burning brands or support of the eagles or synergizing with Rivendell Minstrell, I'd probably go with Resourceful instead.

I have trouble imagining a deck that wouldn't want at least one or two of these in it. And you don't have to worry about colliding with other decks. Plus it is 4 cost which makes it synergize perfectly with the now trivial to construct 4 cost Ziggy deck and present a back up accelerator option. Honestly, I want at least 12-15 of these cards to spread in the decks I maintain. This and Elrond's Council (I could easily use 9 of these) are sufficiently strong that I might consider getting two of this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Power Creep is when you get the same card, but with cheaper cost. Or the same cost, but the card is better in every way than the previous one.

This card, resourceful, is a new card. It has pros and cons, but no way it replaces any of the previous cards. So absolutely no power creep here.

As far as the card goes, many quests finish in just a couple of turns, so waiting for 6 turns until it starts to give you any resource advantage, can be a real pain and just not worth it (assuming you do not play secrecy deck).

However, this card is a valuable asset for secrecy 2 heroes decks. It is easy to play, does not limit your hero options and provides you with resources that you really need. And it starts to give you added value in 3rd turn, which is acceptable. I like it because it looks like 2 heroes decks can become viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guciomir wrote:
As far as the card goes, many quests finish in just a couple of turns, so waiting for 6 turns until it starts to give you any resource advantage, can be a real pain and just not worth it (assuming you do not play secrecy deck).

I assume you are exaggerating and did not mean to say that many quests finish in TWO turns. I would say many quests do not even finish in 3 or 4 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
My snap judgments and cheap shots:

Resourceful is very good in a secrecy deck. It's mediocre unless you get the discount, though. There are much better ways to spend four resources, although it will have some value in quests that tend to be long slogs (The Redhorn Gate comes to mind).

The tentacle will be a real pain. Note that the damage can be reflected to a character controlled by AN attacking player. So, if a ranged character joins the attack, one of that player's heroes/allies can take the fall. Might be a useful way to hedge bets in certain situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
In addition to the Hobbit news, I noticed that Watcher has been updated to "on the boat." It seems that even though they probably already have the pack in Minnesota, they're using this to let us know it's coming, which I appreciate! I'm still thinking it will go on sale next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.