Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Given the number of games which use history as a theme, I thought these color palettes might be useful to someone for graphic design, illustration, etc.

The first is based on a scan of an illuminated manuscript from the late middle ages (~1450). The background is the color of the parchment, the colors in the top row are as they appear on the parchment, and the black and "white" are as they appear on the parchment.

The second is based on pigments used at different times throughout history. Specific blacks and whites are not included but would have been used. "Medieval" includes pigments used from antiquity through the middle ages. The exception here is Egyptian blue; knowledge of the process used to create it was apparently lost at some point and it was not used after antiquity. Also note that Tyrian purple is not a pigment used for paint but a dye used for cloth. "Egyptian" includes the four colors other than black and white which would have been on an Egyptian painter's palette. A more limited Egyptian palette would be black and red. "Stone Age" represents the three pigments, other than black and white, available in prehistory.

Disclaimer: These are approximations of pigments based on various sources, both descriptive and visual. As such, they don't represent what a pigment would look like applied to a given medium, and in general are unlikely to be particularly accurate.

• [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Fantastic post Jason, thanks very much for your work and your sharing I am never that enamored by history games, but this is a superb resource.

GG for you on behalf of everyone

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the GG, everyone! As a thank you, here are a couple more palettes based on Japanese woodblock prints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is great.

What kinds of images are you using for your source material?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
What kinds of images are you using for your source material?

The palettes of the illuminated manuscript and woodblock prints are based on archives at various universities that are available online. For example:

http://www.ulib.niu.edu/rarebooks/medievalleaves.cfm

http://asian.library.ucsf.edu/

The palette of ancient pigments was inspired mostly by the site linked to below, but I used a lot of sources in determining a representative color for each pigment.

http://www.webexhibits.org/pigments/

EDIT: Thanks for the GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome links. I especially like the last one. Thanks for posting these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Awesome links. I especially like the last one. Thanks for posting these.

I concur. Great resources. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.