Popular Tags: [View All]
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im looking into getting this and had a question.

Has anyone thought of using magnets?
IE. gluing slim magnets to the game board in the various spots. Like a couple in each country for cities and scars. In the area of signing names. etc. And then gluing the stickers to thin washers.

The thought here being that if you ever wanted to reset the game you could.
Or if you wanted to play different groups at the same time you could.
Just take pics of how the board is set up. Any cards that should be ripped up put them in an envelope that cant be used for this campaign.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anderson
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Interesting notion --

I'm only one game into it - but my initial thought is this.

I probably wouldn't.

I wonder if after you open some of those sealed packets - just how much you could really "reset" the game.

If you played the game after "reset" would some of the choices you make early, be different knowing that such and such is coming into the game soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you could use magnets however I suggest you just drink the Kool-Aid and destory cards, write on the board, add stickers.

When you write your name on the board for the first time, or add a city and get to name it... You will begin to see how fun it can be. And addicting.

cool

EDIT: I am about nine games into it and I don't regret doing terrible, terrible things to my world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith

Cedar Rapids
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't. I understand the desire to do that, but one of the best things about this game is the permanance of your decisions. Grab a sharpie and hack your world, you will not reget it. If you really want to re-set, buy another copy. Marking the board and putting stickers on it is core to this game. If you enjoyed the campaign, those marks will spark stories about how certain games played out for years, and _that_ is priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Sarge85 wrote:
If you played the game after "reset" would some of the choices you make early, be different knowing that such and such is coming into the game soon?

Of course but that would be a function of playing the game a second time. The same thing would happen if you purchased a second copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
ropya wrote:
IE. gluing slim magnets to the game board in the various spots. Like a couple in each country for cities and scars. In the area of signing names. etc. And then gluing the stickers to thin washers.

Just take pics of how the board is set up. Any cards that should be ripped up put them in an envelope that cant be used for this campaign.

Thoughts?

Thumbs up for making the game resetable but I think your magnet idea might not work too well (although it would be great if you somehow could get the map on paper and put that on a metallic surface. You could then attach the cities/scars to magnetic sheet and take off whenever you wished.

Different groups at the same time would work on the board but the cards would be an issue as each group would probably have different coin allocations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Im looking into getting this and had a question.

Thoughts?

Good ideas, yes.

Refrigerator magnets ought to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Harvey
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Just play the game duder. I know you've heard it 100 times, but it i soooo worth it i promise you. Plus, after 15 games, idk how much you'll want to restart it. From personal experience, playing the game the way it was meant to be played was SO MUCH FUN and SO REDICULOUSLY INTENSE that when we reached 15 games, we had an amazing board that was completely personal, we've looked back on our games and cracked up laughing at different battles that changed the world and shaken our heads / applauded loudly for various decisions, and just looking at your board will bring back eveyr single play throughout the games. However, after 15 games, it was just enough of the intensity for one world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Harvey
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Quote:
All of which is achievable with a digital camera. Hence the Magnets and reusable board.

Haha if you're really wiling to use a camera go for it big dog. I'm laughing a the thought of someone going through their camera looking at games of risk they played haha. If you're like that, than just play the original game, it's not worth getting legacy in that case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose my thoughts were more along the lines that over time my gaming groups are bound to change.
it'd be sweet to be able to 'reset' that game 5 years from now for a new group. Or 15 years from now when the children I hope to have are old enough to play. And id like to do that without dropping $60 each time.

I don't mean ti belittle the experience by any stretch.
And I like the thought of it all.
I was just thinking more looooong term I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Harvey
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Quote:
I suppose my thoughts were more along the lines that over time my gaming groups are bound to change.
it'd be sweet to be able to 'reset' that game 5 years from now for a new group. Or 15 years from now when the children I hope to have are old enough to play. And id like to do that without dropping $60 each time.

I don't mean ti belittle the experience by any stretch.
And I like the thought of it all.
I was just thinking more looooong term I guess.

It's definitely a good thought and I don't mean to criticize you at all. I've had the same thought before. I think magnets would've been a great game design. If you can do it, go for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Criticism can always be constructive if received correctly.
I took no offense. Just wanted to make my stance clear is all.
Thank you all for your thoughts, both for and against.

Its something I may very well look into when the time for Legacy comes around.
Ahead of it are:
Battleships Galaxies Expansion (WIP)
Super Dungeon Explore Minis
Eclipse Custom Ships
Uncharted Seas Fleets
Custom Wizard Kings Armies

Damn, typed out thats a massive list....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To save the map, use plexiglass. You can write on plexiglass with permanent pens or dry-erase markers.

To save the stickers and faction cards, copy them onto another sheet.

To save the cards that get stickered, sleeve them then put a pseudo-sticker in with the sleeved card.

This won't help with the surprise aspect when you rip open a sealed bag, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

This won't help with the surprise aspect when you rip open a sealed bag, however.

Nothing that five years won't solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.