Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Bakker
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title states, can someone recommend one game or the other? I own ToC, but it feels quite 'chromed out' and was wondering if this one was a bit more intuitive, both in general game-play and rules?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes ToC is very chromed out and top heavy. Reds gives just enough chrome to do the job and give historical flair.Plus it's so much easier rules wise for learning and for game play-much smoother.

If wanting a easier game on the subject then Reds,if wanting a more extreme indepth look then ToC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schubert
United States
Port Republic
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a ftf game of Reds an hour ago. The Soviets defeated Poland and took all vp hexes for the victory. Reds is a really fun game. IMHO, Ted's best effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question. I played Reds! two days ago finally. I concurred with others in what say about both games. Reds is more intuitive and flow smoothly than ToC. Somehow a defense line was formed in the northeastern mountain by the White to stop the Red advance near the town of Ufa. The Whites retreated into the mountain to gain better terrain advantage. This was not something that could be seen in ToC. With hex and terrain, the relationships among Army units, movements and terrains are much better illustrated than ToC point to point movement, although one can also argue that they are essentially the same on the Murmansk Front and Tashkent Front as the Whites are approaching with a single spearheaded like movement along the rail.

However, ToC is more thematic than Reds because there are much more card period arts in ToC. In ToC, the Soviet factional infighting, famine and peasant revolts, swinging alliances, Cheka and more active Mankho guerrilla activities are featured in a more involved political sub-system, enriching the overall simulation experience. Whereas Reds cleaner system tend to view the war in a more conventional way by formalizing the units to the Army level, including the White Amour Train and Red Train, dividing the Front Command areas on the map, the supply and railway systems (for strategic movements) are thus depicted as more crucial factors for the Russian Civil War. In Reds, you won't find the non-military but operational military leaders, while in ToC, you can find great and charismatic names like Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky, Kolchak, Denikin, Yudenich etc directing the war efforts up front and personal.

I enjoy both games, though I would be more likely to play a face to face game with Reds but a solitaire study with ToC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.