Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a chance to play Summoner Wars for the first time thanks to a Plaid Hat demo team member who stopped by my FLGS. The Master Set had been on my wishlist, so I was eager to see how this respected game played.

While playing, I got this feeling of déjà vu. I couldn't put my finger on the reason for it at the time, but the game felt stale.

When my battle in Summoner Wars was over, I couldn't hide my disappointment. Later, I realized why I felt like I'd played it before. To me, it played like a card-based version of Navia Dratp, though lacking the cool minis that set that game apart. Both games share many similarities, especially in their chess-like feel, and the Navias are definitely summoners. I find Navia Dratp to be an OK game, which only made Summoner Wars all the more disappointing.

Needless to say, as an owner of Navia Dratp, I don't see a reason to buy Summoner Wars.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

FWIW, I played ND twice and was not taken with it. Whereas with SW, it was love at first play. I also enjoy chess, but more so in my younger years when I got quite good, but I'm not really as good as it now.

With ND, it felt like a new version of chess, and that's it... and I was kind of done with chess. But with SW, there's the element of chance with the dice rolls and card draws. It also has the special abilities, which add more tactical options than merely unit placement and movement. There's also more than 1 way to play a card -- as it is, or to build it as magic (to usually never be seen again).

Of course, to each their own. So if one adores Chess and dislikes chance, I'd expect them to like ND more than SW. I'm just not one of those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Of course, to each their own. So if one adores Chess and dislikes chance, I'd expect them to like ND more than SW. I'm just not one of those people."

Well said, Fred. . . .my thoughts exactly. . .: To each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Summoner Wars compared to dozens of games. People see similarities pretty quickly, but fail to see the nuances on the first play.

It's like saying that Troyes is like a french edition of King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
I've seen Summoner Wars compared to dozens of games. People see similarities pretty quickly, but fail to see the nuances on the first play.

It's like saying that Troyes is like a french edition of King of Tokyo.

King of Tokyo was published by a french company, lol.
yeah, they both use dice! But they arent in the same genre (ie: tactical unit movement duel games). ive never played ND so cant comment on the similarities, but i like SW quite a bit, and its not because of the dice. the hand/magic tension is really a great part of the game, and i love how simple the rules are at its core, with the complexity and nuances coming from the interactions and specific card texts. it gets crunchier and more fun after a few plays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

The Tundra Orc Puppy is mad and wrote a geeklist.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140197/games-that-the-summ...

We must expose Colby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting comparison. But I don't really see it.

ND is much more like a complex version of chess. It seemed like to really appreciate the game it was critical to examine the movement of your figures and your opponents. Chess works because you can try to think ahead and you can generally do that because you understand the behavior of all your 'figures'. In ND, you could spend way too long on a turn trying to figure out if a move would put you into a better or worse position.

In the end, I didn't have 'fun' playing it. I sat there, quietly (as did my opponent) examining the game for a way to win.

It really didn't catch me. But to each their own.

To me, Summoner Wars is much more a blend of M:tG and Heroclix. M:tG in that you summon monsters to the board with the ultimate goal to defeat the other player's 'health' (which in this case is a summoner). And Heroclix in that while you may have a lot of number of troops, you can only move and attack with 3 (i.e. limiting the number of people you can use, despite how many you bring to the field).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.