Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Barber
United States
Saint Simons Island
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, just bought the game and had a few questions!

First, can land biomes go to the right of the Atlantic rift after the first catastrophe? Because you need mm to cross it, you wouldn't be able to live on any land biomes over there, would you?

Second, can you lose you're homeland? And if so, does that make the culture that lets you farm around your homeland useless?

I'm sure there are more questions but I'll have to play to find put what I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Linkinator wrote:
First, can land biomes go to the right of the Atlantic rift after the first catastrophe? Because you need mm to cross it, you wouldn't be able to live on any land biomes over there, would you?
You can if you were there when the rift opened... And, likewise, biomes can appear there, they just can't cross the Atlantic for any reason.
Quote:
Second, can you lose you're homeland? And if so, does that make the culture that lets you farm around your homeland useless?
Yes & yes - it's unlikely, because of the climax number of the homelands, but certainly possible, if not inevitable, by the end of the game. I believe (haven't been keeping up) that the latest living rules may prevent this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Barber
United States
Saint Simons Island
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes. Technically it is possible to settle over there if you are so fortunate to have a marine "M" biome "beachhead" on the far side (Europe and Africa, I believe?). From there you could speciate to nearby land. Not sure what you are supposed to do with Europe, which is arctic land and only one space. I think I saw one marine tundra biome in the Mesozoic era, but the odds of that working out for you are infitesimal.

Since trans-Atlantic migrations practically never happen, you might look into the proposed "two actions" variant. Basically you get to choose two different actions on your turn, so you can cross the ocean with your MM swimmers and then speciate out one or both M's. I like the flexibility of this system, and it definitely helps in this situation. But it is an unofficial variant, so caveat emptor.

Quote:

You can, and yes, this makes farming worthless. The Living Rules that Wulf mentioned modify Agriculture slightly. When you have it, your homeland is immune to extinction. If you don't, too bad! I believe this is an official rules modification. I'd prefer it if homelands were invulnerable *always*, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.