Hide
7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Journey down the Anduin - Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kyoku
msg tools
I bought four new games last week All awesome.

Anyways, is this quest even possible in solo-play without some kind of god opening hand with Gandalf(s) and/or Sneak Attacks. The Hill Troll is meeaaan. My threat goes up so fast. I've tried several decks and strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is very playable solo. but it is difficult, and even more so if using the pre-constructed decks. there are a ton of threads in the strategy section dealing with how to tackle the Anduin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat this scenario solo (with only one deck, NOT dual-fisting it) just last night.

BUT, I did have a threat level of 49 at game's end!

I used a tactics/lore deck. My heroes were Gimli, Legolas, and Glorfindel.

Basically, I balanced my deck in proportion to the heroes, so two thirds of my cards were from the tactics sphere while one third was from Lore. For the lore stuff, I used primarily all the healing cards along with the lore cards that prevent an engaged enemy from attacking (Forest Net? Forest Snare? Something like that...)

I didn't actually need to use the net card on the Hill Troll, but it worked a treat when the Marsh Adder (again, I may be wrong with the card's name on this one too) came up!

When Gandalf surfaced (got him twice, as I had three Gandalf's in the deck) I used him both times to lower my threat level. This probably made the difference because with my three chosen heroes my starting threat was pretty high (32 I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using a three-sphere deck with Theodred, Eowyn and Beravor and find it pretty easy to win with.

Edit: Core cards only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are, indeed, multiple threads addressing this very issue, as "Anduin is impossible to solo" is a common lament of new players.

Since there are so many posts on this topic, I won't reiterate everything here, but the key in my opinion is to build a deck with full knowledge of the fact that you are going to start with a Hill Troll in the staging area. To me, that knowledge means that you have to either be able to eliminate him almost immediately, or you have to avoid engaging him for a while (by far the better strategy, in my experience), which generally means choosing heroes with a low starting threat.

More quests are lost in this game from a poor selection of heroes for that quest than any other single reason, imho.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Whitmer
United States
Milpitas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for the post on this topic by H4msterbacke. I like it since he builds the deck with just the core set cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.