7 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Multiplayer, and "diluted" Race City session. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Draycott
England
flag msg tools
So, I had my first multiplayer game of Formula D last night, (as I'm going to be simulating my 1994 Formula One World Championship on my own) with my mum, girlfriend, and step-dad. We played on the Monaco circuit, and each had a team of two cars.

I had the McLaren MP4/9s
My girlfriend had the two Williams FW16Bs
My mum had the two Benetton B194s
and my step-dad had the two Ferrari F412Ts

We decided we'd only do a one-lap race, as none of them had even had the rules explained to them before, and it ended up being really enjoyable, and I got lots of positive feedback from everyone. The main thing that was summed up, was what I always say about Formula D: "It sounds boring when it's explained to you, but it's great fun when you play it!".

It was a very close race, with the field being split into two groups of four throughout. The main battle for the lead was between one of my McLarens and my step-dad's Ferrari most of the way through, with the other 6 cars behind all swapping positions. Towards the end of the lap, my girlfriend decided to risk her damage points, (her car being in 7th place at this point - way back from the car in 6th) and stay in 5th gear near the swimming pool section. She ended up stopping at least once near the beginning of the corner, and then managed to slow down enough to stop again! She then went on to get some nice rolls into the last two corners, and eventually ended up with 2nd place! ... which just proves, if you play your cards right, you can turn your race around in an instant. I ended up getting 1st with one of my McLarens, followed by my girlfriend's Williams, then both my step-dad's Ferraris, and my other McLaren. My mum's Benettons finished 6th and 7th.

My Other Session on Race City.
Now, I'm one for OCD and a "uniform-like" race when it comes down to it, so I'm not fond of the street racing rules, or cars. I decided to ignore any special rules on the Race City track, and try a quick race with 4 Formula One Cars. For this, I used one Benetton, McLaren, Ferrari, and Jordan (who didn't appear in my Monaco race!)

It was a very enjoyable, and quick, race. There were many poor rolls for the Ferrari, and he ended up last with lots of damage taken too, whilst the Benetton and Jordan both stormed ahead and finished with less than 5 spaces difference. The McLaren got third place. Note that even without the special rules, the lane changes and thin, two-lane straights on Race City really added some excitement, even with only 4 cars, so I'd recommend trying a Formula One Race on here, ignoring the special rules... it's a nice, high-speed, technical track.

Any comments or questions welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
How long did your races take?

Formula D never comes off the shelf anymore because everyone feels it takes much too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Draycott
England
flag msg tools
Well, I've become quite efficient in making my decisions quickly when racing alone, so my 4-car, 1-lap race took about 20 minutes ... but the one-lap race with 4 family members, all with 2 cars each, took about an hour... but this was their first game, and had absolutely NO idea of the rules before it, so it should probably take less time next time round

I agree, it is a shame it all takes so long, but it all depends on whether people are willing to spend their time on it... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My races usually take an hour per lap. My wife and I have been playing lately with two cars each and it seems they are completed in just under an hour. We recently ran Race City and it took about 30 minutes for one lap. It does help that we each have our own set of dice though. I've found that just looking for the dice takes up quite a bit of time. Do dice towers help in this area?

How long does Ticket to Ride take? My groups usually finish it in about 45 minutes, like most games we play. I've found that one lap of Formula D is enough to get people introduced to it. Once you find enough players that really like it then you can start a season and do two lap (or three) races with weather and car construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Draycott
England
flag msg tools
I agree, selecting the dice can take a bit of time, it's just about getting used to which one's which really As for dice towers, I'm clueless, sorry to say.

Race City doesn't take very long at all which I'm quite fond of, but were you using all of the street-racing rules(?), or doing what I did, and just using it for it's road?

As for getting a group together and starting a season, that might not happen for me, as my friends aren't into the whole board-game thing as much as me, so I'm doing my own season. No favouritism, just trying my best with each and every car on the track

On a slightly un-related note, I've got my Valencia & Hockenheimring Expansion coming soon, so I'll post something up about testing those out too. Look out for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I did not use any special rules for our F1 Grand Prix at Race City. We did treat the "rough" section of the track after turn 1 as normal spots. I feel that the F1 cars do not have enough suspension points to drive over that section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Draycott
England
flag msg tools
I was exactly the same. Me and my friend did a race on Race City last night without using the special rules, and it was a good race. It's a great track even without the rules if I'm honest.

Then I ruined the evening by folding part of my board the wrong way... tearing it. A bit of sellotape will do though. It's just a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.