Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Am I ready to Journey Down the Anduin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Harris
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools

I purchased LotR:LCG 2-3 weeks ago and have been addicted to it ever since. I've played Passage through Mirkwood 39 times so far, first using each pre-made deck a half-dozen times or so and then now using a couple of custom 33 card decks another half-dozen times (or so). Please let me bore you with my stats to this point:

Deck Name
Leadership (Core)
Tactics (Core)
Lore (Core)
Spirit (Core)
Two guys, a girl, and Beorn
Loredership
Spheres
Leadership
Tactics
Lore
Spirit
Tactics (maj), Spirit (min)
Lore (maj), Leadership (min)
W
4
1
3
4
3
5
L
3
5
3
2
3
3











My last 5 games, using the 'Loredership' deck, have all been victories. I reconfigured that deck after the first 2 losses so in its current form it is basically 5-1.

I feel like I'm ready to Journey Down the Anduin at this point, but I'm not really sure and I'm kind of afraid. I glanced through the encounter deck last night and it looks downright EVIL compared to Passage through Mirkwood!

I know this game is supposed to be quite hard, but I'd love to get some opinions on what a decent Win % against PtM is once someone has moved on to using their own decks (or even with the pre-made ones). Keep in mind I'm only using cards from 1 core set to this point.

If I'm still losing far more often than I should be then perhaps I can go back and challenge myself to build a stronger deck or fine tune my in-game decisions before moving on. But if those numbers are reasonably 'normal', then maybe it's time to just roll up my sleeves and start on my next Journey.

Thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, 39 times just that one scenario?!? that's quite something...actually I only play 2p but Anduin is not all that tough...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll those sleeves up, and get on with it.

Since you have seen the encounter deck, you know what is coming. You must prepare to face the troll. Plan accordingly.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harris
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Roll those sleeves up, and get on with it.

Since you have seen the encounter deck, you know what is coming. You must prepare to face the troll. Plan accordingly.


I really just skimmed the text as I was sleeving the cards, however I have seen mention of the infamous troll on this forum. That said, I have totally avoided looking at the scenario cards, so I don't really have any idea how it will all play out at this point (which is purposeful; I want the surprise along with my heroes!).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Code Baboon wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Roll those sleeves up, and get on with it.

Since you have seen the encounter deck, you know what is coming. You must prepare to face the troll. Plan accordingly.


I really just skimmed the text as I was sleeving the cards, however I have seen mention of the infamous troll on this forum. That said, I have totally avoided looking at the scenario cards, so I don't really have any idea how it will all play out at this point (which is purposeful; I want the surprise along with my heroes!).


Well, you can certainly do it that way, but not reading quests ahead of time is a good way to end up with your face bashed in. I understand that some folks like the challenge of building a "jack of all trades" deck that can prevail against any type of scenario, but I think for solo play that is largely an unattainable goal. To the contrary, I think the deckbuilding element of this game revolves around knowing what to expect and trying to build a deck which can address that particular encounter deck's challenges. And, for me at least, that is a large part of the fun of the game.

That being said, if you are inclined to "go in blind", then by all means give it a shot -- just don't get discouraged if you bang your head against the wall a few times in the process!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harris
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Gundo wrote:
Code Baboon wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Roll those sleeves up, and get on with it.

Since you have seen the encounter deck, you know what is coming. You must prepare to face the troll. Plan accordingly.


I really just skimmed the text as I was sleeving the cards, however I have seen mention of the infamous troll on this forum. That said, I have totally avoided looking at the scenario cards, so I don't really have any idea how it will all play out at this point (which is purposeful; I want the surprise along with my heroes!).


Well, you can certainly do it that way, but not reading quests ahead of time is a good way to end up with your face bashed in. I understand that some folks like the challenge of building a "jack of all trades" deck that can prevail against any type of scenario, but I think for solo play that is largely an unattainable goal. To the contrary, I think the deckbuilding element of this game revolves around knowing what to expect and trying to build a deck which can address that particular encounter deck's challenges. And, for me at least, that is a large part of the fun of the game.

That being said, if you are inclined to "go in blind", then by all means give it a shot -- just don't get discouraged if you bang your head against the wall a few times in the process!


I expect that I will indeed need to tailor things for the scenario once I've experienced it a couple times and seen what I'm up against. I'm more concerned that I won't really know how to judge my attempts. If I create a tailored deck and I still only win 1 in 10 times, is that bad, or is that just expected when trying to solo a given scenario? Should I be winning 50% of the time against Passage through Mirkwood now that I have lots of experience, 70% of the time, 80% of the time, more?

I guess what would be handy would be some kind of database where people could enter their stats against the various scenarios and then everyone could compare to see how they are faring. I'd love to know something like "the average win % of all users playing a single-sphere Tactics deck, using only 1 core set of cards, against PtM is 17%". That would be awesome
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say just go for it, the worst that will happen is you'll lose and learn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I did in your situation...

Picked a couple of spheres that sounded fun and built a deck.

Lost horribly a few times.

Tuned the deck some.

Lost horribly some more.

Tuned a bit more.

Lost, then won, then lost, then won.

Fun the whole time.

Soloing is quite a bit harder than 2p, but can be a lot of fun too.

FWIW, the two spheres I choose turned out to be not the best choices for Journey Down the Anduin, but I had fun making it work (well, sort of work) anyhow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Code Baboon wrote:
I guess what would be handy would be some kind of database where people could enter their stats against the various scenarios and then everyone could compare to see how they are faring. I'd love to know something like "the average win % of all users playing a single-sphere Tactics deck, using only 1 core set of cards, against PtM is 17%". That would be awesome

You should check out FFG's Quest Log. I don't use it myself, but I believe it has some of the statistics you're looking for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always go blind into a new scenario. It's not like my loss will be any more embarrassing that previous losses have been.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harris
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
AdmiralACF wrote:
Code Baboon wrote:
I guess what would be handy would be some kind of database where people could enter their stats against the various scenarios and then everyone could compare to see how they are faring. I'd love to know something like "the average win % of all users playing a single-sphere Tactics deck, using only 1 core set of cards, against PtM is 17%". That would be awesome

You should check out FFG's Quest Log. I don't use it myself, but I believe it has some of the statistics you're looking for.


That Quest Log sounds really neat, thanks for the link! I created an account and tried to figure out how to view stats, but unfortunately I can't seem to figure out how, all paths seem to lead to me logging my own results. And I've always used the scoring system included in the manual, so I can't really do that yet. But there is definitely some promise here, so thanks again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Code Baboon wrote:
I'm more concerned that I won't really know how to judge my attempts. If I create a tailored deck and I still only win 1 in 10 times, is that bad, or is that just expected when trying to solo a given scenario? Should I be winning 50% of the time against Passage through Mirkwood now that I have lots of experience, 70% of the time, 80% of the time, more?

I guess what would be handy would be some kind of database where people could enter their stats against the various scenarios and then everyone could compare to see how they are faring. I'd love to know something like "the average win % of all users playing a single-sphere Tactics deck, using only 1 core set of cards, against PtM is 17%". That would be awesome


That's a fair question. I'm not aware of any such database. Personally, I have always just gotten a feel for the relative difficulty of scenarios based on the general discussions about them here.

At the risk of generating multiple flames, though, I can tell you that in my opinion you should be beating the relatively easier scenarios (e.g., Passage through Mirkwood, Hunt for Gollum, Carrock, Emyn Muil, Deep Marshes) 80%+. In fact, once you know what you're doing and have a decent deck, losses in those scenarios should be few and far between. Relatively harder scenarios (e.g., Rhosgobel, Return to Mirkwood, Dol Guldor) I feel like I'm doing very well if I'm winning > 1 in 3. Anduin, imho, is somewhere in between; I think you can consistently win 2 out of 3, and anything less than half is indicative that your deck still needs work.

All of this is, of course, wildly dependent upon your personal deckbuilding rules -- single core set vs. multiples, 50-card decks vs. smaller, etc. Which is probably why the sort of database you long for would be of limited value, ultimately.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harris
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Thanks for the detailed reply! If the database captured the right information it wouldn't be too difficult to gather some meaningful stats. For example, I don't think you'd need (or want) full deck lists, but even just a couple pieces of info could make for easy querying: # of cards, comprised from which set(s), and which heroes. Then some basic querying could narrow down results to the ones that most match your specific situation.

Even though I can't quite work the FFG Quest Log yet, based on what I've been reading it doesn't look like it will have exactly what I need. I'll have to go based on anecdotal comments such as your own as a baseline guide. I don't think i'm winning 80%+ against Passage through Mirkwood yet, even with 5 straight W's, so that might be a sign that I need to do some tinkering or try a couple more sphere combo's.

As an aside, I did attempt the Journey once last night, and got my butt handed to me. Some location card skyrocketed my threat by 5 on the first turn, but then I managed to hold my own against the troll for a few turns and things looked to be improving. However, suddenly a treachery wiped out 2 or my heroes, and then the next turn, after finally taking out the troll, I revealed a second troll... and that was that.

I love this game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.