Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has found this flare a little confusing to interpret. The flare is played at the beginning of a player's encounter to basically "hand off" the encounter to another player, who is then obligated to invite the original player. Once the encounter plays out, the card says it "picks up where it left off" (or something close to that). Some in the group interpreted this as picking up AT THE BEGINNING OF THE PLAYER'S FIRST ENCOUNTER, since that is where the flare left off. I want to interpret it as picking up as still being the original player's turn, but second encounter (assuming they won the encounter).

So is it:
1. First encounter
2. Flare played
-----a. encounter played out with selected player
3. Continue first encounter

OR

1. First encounter
2. Flare played
3. Encounter is finished out with selected player
4. Original player then has second encounter, or turn ends

If the former is correct, it would allow a player to have an encounter with the flare, have their first encounter, play the flare again for an encounter, and then have their second encounter. It seems odd if the card would allow a player to pretty much have 4 straight encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is the latter. The card says you invite them to be the offense for this encounter, meaning they are taking over that encounter and running it for you. Also, it is not defined as an extra encounter in any way, so I don't see any indication that you get to "give away your cake and eat it, too".

Here's how I have revised the card:

As the offense, at the start of your regroup phase, you may choose another player to be the offense for this encounter by saying "After you, I insist." The encounter is then carried out as {normal} usual, except that player must invite you to ally with him or her. {After the encounter ends, play resumes from where it left off.} If that player wins or deals, it counts as a successful encounter for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
If that player wins or deals, it counts as a successful encounter for you.

What if I ally against the player I chose to take the encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
What if I ally against the player I chose to take the encounter?

Same answer; it's still your turn, and you still chose the offense to be the offense. I don't think it matters who you ally with, or whether you ally at all ... you still need to know whether or not you get a second encounter, and the only logical way to determine that is based on the success or failure of the player you nominated to have an encounter in your stead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.