United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

I have a group of boys from church that I've had coming over once per month to play board games (5+ hour events). I've introduced them to some easier gateway games like Small World, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, etc., and I think I've got them hooked. They were surprised by how much fun they had, so I've got their attention.

Now to keep it... laugh

I would lke to work in two new games during our next outing. The first I've already decided on, Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, their first cooperative game experience. I think they are going to like being firefighters for a day.

The second one I would like to introduce them to is Memoir 44. I am thinking they will like the WW2 theme, and secrectly I am hoping to introduce them to the Command and Colors system mechanics. I am thinking Mem44 would be the easiest of these games for C&C introduction purposes. I have Ancients, Napoleonics, and Battlelore all sitting on the shelf rearin' to go if they do end up liking it.

I have never player the Overlord version and the boys have never played Memoir 44 at all. I wouldn't normally think about introducing anyone to Overlord without first playing the regular game. But, my concern is that the group consists of anywhere from 4-8 on any given night and the boys are in 8th grade (13-14 years old), so their attention span is not the greatest as of yet. I don't think the others will have much fun watching me show two of them how to play the regular game.

So, I am considering Overlord as their first introduction to Memoir 44. I went all out. I have one copy of the base and all expansions, including the 4 Battle Map packs and the Overlord deck. I purchased a large piece of plexy glass and if I may say so the battlemaps look fantastic under it. No tiles slipping around the board for them.

But, before I pull the trigger, I am in need of your opinion in regards to the following questions.

1.Do you think an introduction to Overlord with no Memoir 44 experience is doable for this age group, or am more likely to turn them off to the game by doing so?
2.Is there a particular battlemap that you would recommend for starters (easiest with the least amount of different units and rules, etc.)
3.Would you recommend playing with the regular Overlord rules for these first timers, or have you done some similar and found a modification that worked better for first timers? I want all of them to be engaged as much as possible with as little downtime as possible.
4.Any other suggestions?

If they like it, I may considering picking up a few more base sets and run some tournaments or something fun like that. We'll see.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
1.Do you think an introduction to Overlord with no Memoir 44 experience is doable for this age group, or am more likely to turn them off to the game by doing so?

The problem with Overlord is that only the overall commander of each side holds and distributes the cards. Will this be a problem for your group or will each person want to manage their own cards? You can easily run 2-vs-2 Memoir games by letting each player manage their own set of 3 sectors using normal cards.

If you decide that you want to go with full Overlord games, I'd highly recommend picking up an Overlord deck, so that you don't have to look up the special effects of each normal card when played during Overlord games.

You might consider playing a first game without the tactics cards.

mille1212 wrote:
2.Is there a particular battlemap that you would recommend for starters (easiest with the least amount of different units and rules, etc.)

The Mediterranean sets have the least amount of terrain, but those don't involve American armies, which the kids will probably want. I wouldn't recommend playing the First Assault Wave scenario, because it's a very frustrating scenario for the Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Hellstrand
Sweden
Molnlycke
Harryda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlord deck is a must !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
You can easily run 2-vs-2 Memoir games by letting each player manage their own set of 3 sectors using normal cards.

Maybe this is the better way to go. Two single games of two on two would accomodate 8 if I had two maps and two decks. I would have to purchase a 2nd base set for that, but it's doable.

How would this work? If A1 and A2 were on one team and B1 and B2 were on the other, I am assuming A1 would play, then B1, then A2, then B2, etc. Would each get a full hand of command cards? Would they or should they discuss their hands together when playing? Or should they keep their hands secret? I think I could make this work if you don't think overlord is the way to go?

Looking forward to hear what others think too.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob ZoBell
United States
North Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
kentreuber wrote:
You can easily run 2-vs-2 Memoir games by letting each player manage their own set of 3 sectors using normal cards.

Maybe this is the better way to go. Two single games of two on two would accomodate 8 if I had two maps and two decks. I would have to purchase a 2nd base set for that, but it's doable.

How would this work? If A1 and A2 were on one team and B1 and B2 were on the other, I am assuming A1 would play, then B1, then A2, then B2, etc. Would each get a full hand of command cards? Would they or should they discuss their hands together when playing? Or should they keep their hands secret? I think I could make this work if you don't think overlord is the way to go?

Looking forward to hear what others think too.

Thanks

When I have played an overlord map against my two (very independant) boys, they've each taken half of the Overlord cards and each of them plays each of their three sectors as if they were on a regular map. I allow them to trade their cards back and forth and consult. They each play one card and resolve for their sector, then I play one of my cards against one of the halves of the board, and the other card against the other half (i.e. other three sectors) of the board. It works pretty well, although some interpretation is necessary with the Overlord deck to get it back to three-sector terminology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlord, using the Overlord Deck, is the best way to go. That age group will do quite well and the coordination from General to Field Generals will be an excellent way for them to develop their group skills that they will will undoubtably need as adults. Definitely do it with no changes to how Overlord is played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.