Popular Tags: [View All]
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As part of the Nazi-Soviet Pact the Soviets begin the game supplying 6 resources to Germany. In return Germany gives back two build points.

But if the Soviets demand the Finnish borderlands and the Germans allow it the Soviets get to reduce the number of resources sent by one! If the Soviets demand Bessarabia from Rumania and the Germans allow this the Soviets get to reduce the number of resources sent by anotrher one!

Can someone explain the reasoning for this to me? It seems to me that by allowing these territorial demands Germany should actually gain favor with the Soviets. So why does the Soviets get to keep their resource point? I could see it if denying the claim would cost Germany one of those resources, but not why it cost them to allow it.

Anyone got a historical explanation for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We may be looking at different versions; mine says that "In each turn, Germany must lend lease 2 build points to the USSR while the USSR must supply Germany with 7 resources (2 of them must be oil)."

In my limited exposure to this game, I suspected the lessening of resource points was not so much a historical one, but a game mechanism to make the decision for Germany a more difficult one. For example, allowing seizure of the Finnish borderlands allows Germany to align Finland on subsequent turns, and USSR cannot declare on Finland for the rest of the game. There's got to be a tradeoff, right?

Wendell will probably be able to answer this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben has the right numbers.

As for rationale, yeah I think it is partly to make it a more difficult choice for Germany. And also, look at such aggressive (but short of war) Soviet demands as reflecting increasing tensions between the two sides, causing the Soviets to reduce what they are sending west.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick glossing of wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi-Soviet_economic_relations ) shows an alternate rationale. The Soviet invasion of the Baltic States essentially cut off 97 million Reichsmarks of goods from those countries. So perhaps in game logic it is an abstraction of lost trade with Finland and Rumania respectively.

In essence Russia is still providing the 7 but the net is now a 5 because Russia is appropriating the finances of the eastern European annexations that had been going to Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.