Popular Tags: [View All]
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Today I had a weird experience with my ES session.

I played Mr. Darrel Simmons against Shub Niggurath. And I was on the adventure "Please Do Not Touch The Exhbits" with an Cultist on it.

When I attacked the Cultist, everything was fine. I defeated the Cultist, but was not yet done with the adventure. So the cultist remained on the adventure, turned around, dice bound.

When I started to work on the tasks of the adventure, I ran twice into a failed attempt to solve a task; and to make it worse: the fails were "terror fails", activating the "Terror-result" on the card:

[quote]Add a Doom token to the Doom track.[/quote]

Since these two Doom tokens let the GOO awaken (Shub Niggurath), my investigator was drawn to the Great Old One immediately.

As this was in the middle of solving the adventure, the part with gaining reward or suffering defeat did not take place.

But what would happen with the (already) defeated cultist / monster? Would it be considered part of my trophies? Or would it be just a "missed this one"/ "bad luck for you"?

All the best!

Mad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
MaddockKrug wrote:
I played Mr. Darrel Simmons against Shub Niggurath. And I was on the adventure "Please Do Not Touch The Exhbits" with an Cultist on it.

When I attacked the Cultist, everything was fine. I defeated the Cultist, but was not yet done with the adventure. So the cultist remained on the adventure, turned around, dice bound.

When I started to work on the tasks of the adventure, I ran twice into a failed attempt to solve a task; and to make it worse: the fails were "terror fails", activating the "Terror-result" on the card:

Quote:
Add a Doom token to the Doom track.

Since these two Doom tokens let the GOO awaken (Shub Niggurath), my investigator was drawn to the Great Old One immediately.

As this was in the middle of solving the adventure, the part with gaining reward or suffering defeat did not take place.

But what would happen with the (already) defeated cultist / monster? Would it be considered part of my trophies? Or would it be just a "missed this one"/ "bad luck for you"?

I think this is clear. Since you did not complete or fail the Adventure then the Monster marker is not awarded as a trophy.

The rule seem to back this up since it does say
Quote:
Battling an Ancient One
Once a Doom token is placed on the last space on the Doom track,
the Ancient One immediately awakens.

So the AO immediately awakens.
Quote:
Monsters
If a player successfully completed one or more tasks on a
Monster marker (or a task which includes a Monster marker, as
in the case of a partial monster task) before failing to resolve
the Adventure card it is on, he still gains the Monster marker,
removing all dice from the marker, taking it, and gaining any
reward mentioned on the back of the marker. He does this before
suffering the penalties for failing to resolve the Adventure card.

And you only get the monster marker "before suffering the penalties for failing to resolve the Adventure card". Since you never got to the penalties then you didn't get the trophy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

Thank. That makes a lot of sense. (And that was the way I played the game, because it "felt right" at that moment. But it did leave me alone, though.

All the best!
Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you defeat a monster you get the trophy even if you fail the adventure.... I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

Thoth Amon wrote:
If you defeat a monster you get the trophy even if you fail the adventure.... I think.

I agree with you. But it is about the devil's detail - as we say in Germany (what would be your idiom?).

In the example I mentioned above I was right in the middle of trying to solve an adventure. Therefore the adventure is such was not ended, so it was not resolved yet, whether I failed or passed the adventure. It would have been different, if the said doom token was placed during the "resolve your adventure" phase at the end of the adventure. Then all parts of the failing/ passing the adventure would have been processed - including the collection of trophies.

All the best!
Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
MaddockKrug wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thoth Amon wrote:

I agree with you. But it is about the devil's detail - as we say in Germany (what would be your idiom?).

1)The idiom in the States is 'the devil is in the detail' so close enough.
2)I've been playing that you get the monster trophy ASAP, but I've also spent the past while operating on ES:Omes play rules, because I can at least find consistency in it, so I may not be much help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kippy Dippy
msg tools
It is exactly the same idiom as in german, Maddock just didn't translate it correctly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.